Revision TKR Jan’s new knees- 1 for the left-2 for the right<

jboles

graduate
Country
United States United States
I have to be at hospital at 10:15 tomorrow morning, surgery is scheduled for 11:45. One or two nights stay then home. It's about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic. Not looking forward to the ride home. Thank you so much for the well wishes and encouragement.

@jboles
You'll notice that I have moved your newest post and started your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you have your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • With your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the post op recovery guidelines for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I hope you're able to do something fun today to take your mind off Monday.

I thought I would go ahead and start my recovery thread tonight since tomorrow will probably be a busy day. I hope that I've taken care of everything that needed to be done, if not, it will just have to wait! I practiced getting in and out of auto for ride home. I'm thinking the car is going to be my best bet, my husbands SUV was really hard to get into backseat. I'm going to take pain meds and go for the car! Thanks everyone for the well wishes and suggestions and I will see you on "the other side".

We'll be waiting with champagne. You won't be able to drink it, but we'll toast your success! See you soon!

Hi Jan. If his truck is too high, a car will probably be easier. You may want to ride in the back seat, so your leg can stretch out over the seat. I did that for knee #1, but couldn't for #2 and I was miserable riding in the front seat with my new knee bent. You are correct to take a dose of your pain meds for the ride home.

Good luck, all will be well. Remember recovery is not a race. Lynn

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

@jboles,
I merged the two recovery threads you had. I had started one for you earlier today, see post #2 for an explanation.
Post #3 has the recovery articles for you.

All the best tomorrow, you have had a long wait.

I hope you get a good night's sleep tonight and before you know it, you'll be on the Recovery Side with all of us...you know, at the "Champagne Club," LOL. Of course, you'll have to wait a few weeks to indulge, but when you can lift a glass, @SusieShoes makes some mean cheese puffs to go with it. We'll save some for you!

Good idea on the car versus the SUV! The car will also most likely have a smoother ride and you'll really appreciate that coming home.

Best of luck!

Hi Jan, in my time zone it is already tomorrow! Haha, yours too but I hope you were able to sleep. Before you know it you will be waking up in recovery - we'll be waiting !

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

[QUOTE="Pheebs52, post: 1042606,before you know it, you'll be on the Recovery Side with all of us...you know, at the "Champagne Club," LOL.

Best of luck![/QUOTE]

What champagne club is that. I don't recall receiving my invite lol! Best of luck on your procedure today.

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart mobile app

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]

Oh Ruby9297, it must've gotten lost in cyberspace! T=You can join us in the Champagne Club as soo as you ditch those narcotic pain meds! :martini:

Just a quick note. I got to my room around 4;30 PT left at 5, so the OT girl came by , put on pajamas- gown ( no underpants) was so dizzy we didn't walk. Took something for nausea and dizziness, slept for 3 hours. Have a nerve block no actual knee pain just pain in back of knee and it's almost like it's got a mind of it's own when I finally did get out of bed and make the few steps to bedside potty! All in all I think it went pretty well

Wow, impressed that you were able to post so lucidly, @jboles ! Welcome to the other side ! Lots of listening ears and virtual hands to hold here. Not to mention advice from fellow knee heroes. You've got this !

@jboles welcome to the other side! Champagne awaits you in a few weeks time after losing the narcotics. Word of caution when that time comes. Wean yourself off them slowly. I speak from experience here. Cold turkey will cause you days of excruciating stomach cramps! Good luck on your recovery and you have lots of ears here to applaud your successes and listen to your frustrations. This site is a godsend!

Congrats on the new knee and wishing you a good first full day post op.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back