TKR Jake’s Got a New Knee

Lots of members have issues with their gait - especially after THR. Here's an illustration. It can be quite a challenge to relearn proper walking.

Try heel-toe walking if you are limping.

This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.

It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.
1619184824963-jpeg.83076

I am going to dig around here and see if anyone documented learning proper walking techniques.
If you type "heel to toe walking" into the SEARCH, at the top right of the page, you will find it is discussed, recommended, tried and most often helpful to those that practice it.
It feels unnatural at first, at least it did to me, but also taught me to be more in control of my gait rather than just plodding along in the sloppy gait I developed as my hip deteriorated. Good Luck!

Walking has definitely been a challenge for me. I can walk heel/toe with the walker more reliably but anytime I try with just the cane I'm stiff as a board - probably because I don't trust that my surgical knee won't give out on me as it keeps doing. I think proper walking is one of the hardest things to get right!

I hope you get a 60 degree day and get out to enjoy the lady chickens!

I think that the session was a success.
That is a blessing and what we all can ask for!

There is nothing like a fresh chicken egg. A man at the end of my road raised chickens about 15 years ago and would bring us fresh eggs. Yummy! He passed on and now a young couple lives there with no chickens. :boohoo:

Walking has definitely been a challenge for me. I can walk heel/toe with the walker more reliably but anytime I try with just the cane I'm stiff as a board - probably because I don't trust that my surgical knee won't give out on me as it keeps doing. I think proper walking is one of the hardest things to get right!

I hope you get a 60 degree day and get out to enjoy the lady chickens!
Hello, and thanks for sharing. For some dumb reason, I’m the exact opposite. While still hospitalized, I asked both the surgeon and his assistant if I “had any restrictions” with my new knee. They both quickly said none. So I took that as gospel. I use my new knee knowing it’s stronger and more capable than my existing knee on the left. I step first with it, I climb the 2 steps in the house with it first, and use it first to step down. Even though the PT folks say use the existing knee first. The only thing I still use my existing knee first is rising from a seated position. Mostly cause the swelling still exists in my new knee. It’s painful for me to flex it yet. Again, thanks for your time responding to my post.

I think that the session was a success.
That is a blessing and what we all can ask for!

There is nothing like a fresh chicken egg. A man at the end of my road raised chickens about 15 years ago and would bring us fresh eggs. Yummy! He passed on and now a young couple lives there with no chickens. :boohoo:
Get a couple of chickens and build a small coop and run. They don’t require much and they are pets that produce something. :):)

I am going to dig around here and see if anyone documented learning proper walking techniques.
If you type "heel to toe walking" into the SEARCH, at the top right of the page, you will find it is discussed, recommended, tried and most often helpful to those that practice it.
It feels unnatural at first, at least it did to me, but also taught me to be more in control of my gait rather than just plodding along in the sloppy gait I developed as my hip deteriorated. Good Luck!
I agree totally and thank you for your reply! I believe that some of my gait comes from my hip issues years ago, which messed with my knees and possibly my lower back. I learned from a chiropractor friend years ago that most “issues” are related in some form. The body must work together or it will “tell” you something is wrong with pain. Thanks again Layla, I appreciate you!:prayer:

Thank you!
We appreciate you! The generous support you offer others, your sense of humor and trusting us all enough to share your journey here. You are part of what makes BoneSmart great!
@jakemedic

I have an adjustable bed. I max out the foot and raise the head just a tad. Isn’t perfect, but better than nothing. Although my bride ended up sleeping across the hall when I adjust the bed! Note to self, get a king size bed with each side having the capability of adjusting. :heehee:
I have to report that I finally moved up to my bed last night and slept 13 hours. What a relief. :egypdance:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to report that I finally moved up to my bed last night and slept 13 hours. What a relief. :egypdance:
Outstanding! I’m impressed! Now that is what I call a “healing sleep”. Most I get is 5-6 hours, but I’m still sleeping with ice on my knee. Makes me have to go to the bathroom often! :ice:

Last edited by a moderator:
Three weeks today! I haven’t lost faith or hope that my new knee will do well. While still in my infancy, I made it at least, 5 hours without ice in it today and used a reduced amount of pain meds. I did feel that my knee was a bit stiff however. Make it to the shop after showering and getting a much needed haircut and a shave. I also got to go see the hens and gathered their eggs. Tried to walk heal to toe, which didn’t seem “natural”. Overall, another good day. Next up, PT on Wednesday.

Congrats on your 3 week recovery, you’re making good progress and helping us by keeping us up to date. Baby steps but you’re getting stronger each day. Stay strong!

Tried to walk heal to toe, which didn’t seem “natural”.
Yes, it really does feel awkward at first. It takes lots of practice before it feels natural. Slow your pace and concentrate throughout each step, focusin on the quality, rather than the quantity, of your steps.

You'll get there!

Congrats on your 3 week anniversary!! It's really nice as time goes on to be able to get out and door a bit more isn't it? I hope your PT went well

We are almost exactly one week apart. I will be 4 weeks tomorrow. I had to practice walking at pt yesterday, because they said I wasn’t bending my knee. It feels so uncomfortable to push off with my heel and curl up on my toe. It’s stiff and painful. Actually not as painful as the feeling that the stiffness is ripping apart lol. I got almost 3000 steps today. It was warm here in wv about 63. I went out in the screened in porch and sat with my bunny. I think the extra week has made the pain better, but the stiffness feels worse. My ROM is 0 and about 105. I just take a hydrocodone at night and maybe a muscle
Relaxer or a tramadol during the day. Good luck with your recovery!!

I feel very comfortable with this young lady as my PT. She understands and doesn’t force things or exercises. I like that a lot. Today, i attempted one handed support walking in the parallel bars. Not that I’m ready to transition to a cane, but to show which arm I will use the cane in. It was eye opening. Definitely 1+ week away, or as I like to say “not ready for prime time yet”. It was a beautiful day here with a high of 61. I sat out in the driveway and enjoyed the warmth before going to see the hens. We got 9 eggs today, a new record! They bring such a smile to my face. Pain was manageable, 3 hydrocodone today. Pain around a 3-4 even after therapy. I am very appreciative of the support I get from folks here. SDFoxy, thanks I hope your recovery goes well too! Did I see a bunny? Like with floppy ears? I’d enjoy seeing a picture! Selketine, thank you, time flies when you’re on ice! Benne68, yes walking heal to toe is so strange. I’ve shuffled through life forever. You are right, slow the heck down and concentrate! Jim sir, you are a champion in my book. I look forward to seeing updates on your recovery. Im sure I forgot people along the way, it wasn’t by design, rather my bad memory :rotfl: thank you!

Sounds like you have everything in place for a nice glide path to full recovery, even the weather and the eggs! We are all on the same path just a different stages of the journey which is why those ahead of us can be very helpful sharing their stories even when they may not be perfect. I appreciate all you have posted and find it very helpful since we started the same day. We’ll get there, stay strong my friend!

Last edited:
Benne68, yes walking heal to toe is so strange. I’ve shuffled through life forever
You are not alone! My family described my post-op walking style as the "penguin waddle"!
:happyfeet:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Brassic