Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

Hello Chipmunk.jpeg My Dear Friends, one and all. xx

I haven't been around much as I have not felt I have anything positive to say ... about myself or anyone else! :sigh:

Thankfully the Codipront cleared the mucus and therefore cough and the bloodshot eye is now gone as a result. :flwrysmile:

I really feel like I have gone backwards... a month or so ago I was walking with one crutch about 150 steps/paces but now I find that strenuous. I haven't conquered the individual steps yet with a crutch, only the walker. Can anyone else do steps/stairs without a handrail or is it just me?

Friends were over on Sunday. He is Canadian and his mother was a Physiotherapist for 50 years or so now retired at 88, a lovely lady we have met, and he said remembers her saying "If you don't use it, you lose it." when I said I believe I am behind because of not using my knee after it's replacement due to fractures healing. It is so true as is Mojo's "Motion is Lotion".

Any old how, today is a new dawn and a new day (I love that phrase), the sun is popping in and out, and I will put on my positivity hat. I am going to have a go on the static bike today rather than the peddler,make a spicy meat for tacos tonight, examine all my plantlets I have started and potted up, crochet on the current afghan, watch some TV, be lazy and be thankful I am alive and well and have such beautiful friends in person and hiding in my computer. :heehee: :loveshwr:

So,off I go to bathe and get my derriere in motion. I will visit later to individually respond to all. In the meantime, have a peaceful day and ...
animated-thank-you-image-0078.gif
for being there. Izzy xx

Last edited:
Good Morning Izzy
Hope I didn't wake you with my early (middle of the night) ramblings (p/m) sorry to hear you have been poorly.
Lucky you having a husband that can cook - mine is good on the bbq (After prep all done by me) so mainly we have been living on takeaways lol
Yes my garden was so pretty in the summer now looks overgrown with weeds and leaves haven't got the courage to try and tackle it in case of falling maybe next week hopefully.
Your flowers look so pretty xxx
Keep in touch sending hugs from Paderne to Messines Sarah xxx

It is very good to hear from you, although I am sorry you did not feel well. Glad you had a nice visit with friends.

It did make me smile to read you intend to “be lazy” as that came after a long list of delightful activities you plan to do that are anything but lazy.

PS I am still holding the handrail

I am alive and well and have such beautiful friends in person and hiding in my computer

We love hiding in your computer :yes: Just think, we wouldn't know you as well nor have the pleasure of experiencing your endearing wit, or feel the vibe of sunshine you send us if we weren't hanging out in your computer :wave:

I wouldn't have all of those romantic visuals of your dreamy landscape and tapas and cocktails out underneath the setting sun and bougainvillea, or any of those exotic trees are you linger beneath some evenings.

We wouldn't be able to uplift you, send love, hugs and well wishes to a far off distant land, nor receive the same from you. We love you, Izabel and IT IS a new dawn and a new day so make it a good one! You'll get there, it just takes some of us longer than others. :wink:

Good Afternoon Cat.jpeg sweet peeps...and Layla you choked me up a wee bit there ... but I am strong and can take all this love and kindness being showered upon me. :whistle:

Hubby is having his afternoon snooze so I thought I would pop on here for a minute.

I have done a little crocheting, written a few e-mails and I rode the stationary bike for 6 minutes and it said 2.2kms (that's about 1,4 miles) but Hubby said it must be wrong ... but my hip sure feels like it did it! I was on zero resistance and did the first few rotations backwards then off I went forwards. It is totally different than using the pedaler and maybe this is what I need to loosen the hip and knee so I can tackle those steps.

Now I just have to check on my plantlets and make the meat sauce for tacos ... and I will have accomplished my list for today. :yahoo:

fairy kisses.jpeg Izzy xx

My cattleya bloomed again this year, and you have been so good about sending me cheerful images and gardening musings that cheer me up, that I thought I would reciprocate:
2ED80C30-773D-482B-8D70-38C42F637DCE.jpeg
A second flower pod, with 4 blooms.
Hope you are feeling well.

Hi @Izabel :)
I hope you're doing well and having a good week so far.
We sure are getting cold in my area. Winter is in the air along with the holidays. All things Christmas are showing up everywhere.
Ready or not...here it comes!
Have a great Wednesday and rest of the week. :loveshwr: :friends:

Hello Chipmunk.jpeg Marie and Layla, and thank you both for thinking of me. xx

I can't believe it has been two weeks since I have reported for duty! :oyvey:

Actually, there is not much to declare as life has been fairly uneventful. I continue to cycle 3-5 kms every other day and practice my standing but have not yet mastered the walking unaided or the steps. I am sure the steps are a hindrance to me as I cannot go from room to room without encountering one (the house is built on a slight slope) and there are no rails ... just air. I can stand for a few minutes longer at the kitchen counter and now do sit to stand to sit without using my arms so a wee bit of progress. I am grateful for any progress however minimal.

We have had a little rain with sunshine in between but temps not going over 20c/68F and lows of 14c/58c with gusty winds. Right now it is sunny. All my little plantlets I potted on are doing well so I will give them a permanent home in the Spring.

I truly hope those in the UK are not suffering the floods, the US record cold temps and snow and those in Australia and California fires. We are very blessed here in Portugal at the moment.

So, my dear sweet friends, I will love you and leave you for now sending hugs, kisses and love to you all.

Nice Day.jpeg Izzy xx

Happy to read your update sweet @Izabel

Glad you are still seeing improvements. Very impressive that you can stand and sit without the use of your hands. Seems like all your balancing work has surely paid off. I need to try cycling again. It’s been a few weeks since I tried. Hope you are enjoying your beautiful gardens and soaking in that healing sunshine. Sending lots of love and wishes for steady improvements. :flwrysmile::SUNsmile: xoxo

Just visiting!
I thought of you when I trimmed my rosemary to the shape of a Christmas tree. Because of my recovering shoulder, this was an achievement.
I also keep hearing your friend’s “Motion is Lotion” in my head, which motivates me to get up after I have been sitting a bit.
So you continue to be an inspiration.
Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

Hi Izabel,
Progress is awesome, no matter how small, it's good! I'm happy to hear of the progress you've made.

Are hints of Christmas showing up everywhere like it is here, Izabel?
Will you miss Thanksgiving, or weren't you a fan when you lived in the States?
I guess I could take it, or leave it.

I envy your pleasant temps. I love the 60's. To me, when it's sunny with no wind and in the 60's...its perfect.

I hope you have a lovely week. Hugs and love back at you! :friends: :loveshwr:
@Izabel

Morning.jpeg

Thank you Sarah, Marie and Layla. It really makes me sigh with love for you all when I read your sweet messages. I will have to keep visiting just for selfishness. :whistle:

I continue to plod along at a snail's pace ... but that is better than standing still. In saying that, I would like to be able to stand still for longer periods of time, but that will come. :praying:

Sarah, you knew you had a tough journey ahead, like me. but we just have more hurdles than some. Marie, you just push through it all with such grace! Dear Layla, I could not imagine this forum without you and your pearls of wisdom about life. xx

Thanksgiving ... well, it is not easy to find a whole turkey here as @Sara61 an confirm. However, turkey (peru) is popular here and we have arrangements to meet friends for lunch on Thursday and I will have the turkey fillets in mushroom sauce with rice and seasonal vegetables. That meal costs 9 Euros/just under $10 and I order a half portion as the portions are too big!!!

Yes, Christmas is everywhere here too as over the years it has become very commercial. In the 80s when we first came here it was really just a religious festival. We put a tree up and Hubby loves his lights, inside but more importantly outside. I would love icicle lights on the gutters ... but that would look silly here in the sunshine! :heehee:

I took a break from cycling last week so today I go back on track and more leg strengthening exercises. I wonder if I need to see a Neurologist or whoever about my fear of steps??? I have not improved on that score and it is truly what is hindering me.

I will check on you all later in the week but wish everyone a peaceful Thanksgiving and please don't stress yourselves over preparations ... you can get so many yummy things ready made this day reasonably priced.

Sending hugs and kisses across the miles to all my very special friends residing in my laptop ... :friends:

Cat & Turkey.jpeg Izzy xx

Hi Izzy

Would you not ask you PT to teach you how to manage the stairs at Faro hospital they have a set of stairs inside the PT room for this purpose and I see many patients learning to go up and down without their aids - I'm sure it's just a confidence thing - with time as you get stronger you will manage them fine.
I'm still doing them one by one but to try to do them normally once a day even just as my exercise routine.
As I mentioned in @Macknit thread Thanksgiving isn't common here I'm sure the many Americans whom seem to be flocking into Portugal still carry this tradition, Turkey here is readily available but most people tend to just buy a leg or turkey fillets although the "Brits" will order a full turkey for Christmas day.
Am going to attempt to drive to AS today to meet my sister for a coffee, I've learnt how to get in and out unassisted in my bmw and drove to Quarteira at the weekend so feel confident to try it alone :) hoping the car park is not to busy as I need space to open the car door fully ha ha.
Will email you later in the week xx

If I had stairs, I am sure I would not have the problem I have. We live in a one-story cottage but there is a step from the foyer/bedrooms to the lounge, another to the kitchen, another to the guest bathroom, another to the kitchen patio, another down into the outdoor living room another down to the front patio and another down to the lower patio! :oyvey:None of them have rails or anything to hold on to, open through arches or just to space. If they were together as stairs with a handrail I could do it. You will see when you visit.

Going to Faro Hospital is a two-hour round trip journey, Portimao Hospital an hour at least. Could go to AlgarveShopping or Aqua but it is too far to walk from the car to stairs and then there are PEOPLE insensitive to 'disabled' folk! :shocked: :scare:

Going to O Paraiso on Thursday ... went there last Wednesday.

Enjoy coffee with your sister ... take your cane just in case! ... and well done you for mastering driving. xx

Hugs to You.jpeg Izzy xx

Have been over on the knee forum and there was mention of floral canes ... here are some off mine ..

I have a dozen floral ones, different ones for different outfits. Can't wait to use them rather than the unglamorous elbow crutches. Here are a few ... Grapes, Cheetah, Florals ... they all have names too! There's Miss Kitty, Ole Blue, Peaches, Justin (just in case) ... :heehee:

1574688261794.png1574688337179.png1574688474463.png1574688509461.png1574688337179.png1574688628682.png

Then that led to walkers so I had a quick play around ...

WalkerFloral2.jpg

1574689203611.png Izzy xx

Hi @Izabel
Hope all is well in your beautiful part of the world.
I have good weather here for almost December and it seems as if Thanksgiving day will be beautiful.
I'm just going to be ever so glad to get some time off as the gracious folks in my town have really stepped up the donations of food for the holidays and it has been super busy time for me.
Nice problem to have...

Hope you're keeping the faith and the rest of your week is Sweet.

Thank you my Lovely Southern Belle. xx

You work so hard to benefit others and I hope you have some quality time with your family this Thanksgiving and the weather is kind to you.

Sending big hugs ...

Thanksgiving.jpeg Izzy xx

@Mojo333

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts