Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

I would like to clarify why I am mentioning my dental issues on a bone forum The reason I am is for awareness of others who may be on (or in the future may be) Fosamax or similar for Osteoporosis as it is this drug which has caused my dental problems.
I will make my mother aware of this as I believe she is on Fosamax.

I wish your knee would stop giving you grief as you try to move past this hip thing:nah:
I have had a day full of less than astute young volunteers (working off court ordered community service) and my patience is wearing thin. These folks are the reason they put directions on shampoo bottles. :groan:
Wishing you a great day, @Izabel

Last edited:
:wave: @Mojo333. I don't wish to scare folk, but I think you know that. As the Dental Surgeon said, I am 'special' because of my recent past history of misfortune and the horrendous amount of meds I have been on (and we are not counting in pain meds). Luckily I believe the issue is contained in my lower jaw. :fingersx: I also suffered sickness the day I took it and my sister who only coped three weeks on the tablet was put on infusion and was always ill.
Hopefully you only had these miscreants for one day! :scare:

Bom Dia.gif Izabel xx

@Izabel I hope your teeth will soon be sorted, all these drugs have such horrible side effects, I am on aledronic acid whilst I am on steroids for my polymyalga,it seems to be a vicious circle where drugs are involved. You sound to be doing wonderfully with your hip, sunshine is such an amazing feeling when we are fighting to get back our health. Big hugsxxx

:wave: @clodaghcov I hope you are keeping well and that more importantly that you don't suffer any side effects from the Alendronic Acid as my sister and I did ... maybe it is something to do with genes? :scratch:

I just read this morning that the southern half of the UK will have extreme heat this Summer so there will be drought problems / water shortages and gardens will suffer. I just ordered some peat discs, labels and pens to get some things going. I already bought my seeds from them. I have used a UK supplier for a few years and postage is only £1.69.

Take care and enjoy your garden. xx

Last edited:
Blood tests went smoothly as usual ... :whistle:

Nurse. Did you bring your veins with you?
Me. Not sure, think they went on holiday ... Nurse repeats in Portuguese (naturally) to room ... much laughter.
Nurse having put tight thingy around my upper arm and having me clench my fist says 'I am going to beat you' and taps my veins vigorously ... nada ... then asks assistant for something and unwraps a fine tube with a fine needle and thingy attached to it and says she will use a baby blood taking thingy (fine needle, long thin tube to vials ... voila, blood escapes my body into two tubes!

:yahoo:Everyone happy. Please note: 'thingy' is a new medical term! :umm:

On the plus side ... om the way home we bought two Canadianas (arm crutches) and I practised when we got home. A-OK! :yes:

Then met friends for lunch for tapas under fig trees ... had a couple of glasses of red wine. :cheers2: Temp around 30c / 85F at the mo. :SUNsmile:

atse1_mm_bing_net_th_b7451f8f337c4b6c2959eab0943bcef9._.jpg

PS Here is the tapas place, 8 minutes drive from is ...

arancho_belchior.webnode.pt__files_200000317_515c452578_public_4.jpg

Last edited:
:hi: Happy Ten Month Anniversary!
I'm sorry I somehow missed your post on Tuesday.
Thanks for the warning on the pharmaceuticals.

Tapas and red wine under fig trees in the warm weather sounds lovely. I hope you enjoyed.
Glad you're liking the crutches.
Best Wishes for a wonderful weekend! :friends:
@Izabel

@Izabel Fantastic, life is getting back to normal for you and your husband,so happy for you. I am doing a great deal of planting in large pots, easier than getting down to floor level, i enjoy every moment of it,including grubby finger nails, somehow my gloves always escape off my hands. Crutches are great I have just invested in some bright pink ones!! Happy weekendxx

Silly me....I meant weeks, not months.
Cute little tapas place.
Love & hugs :loveshwr: :friends:
@Izabel

Love tapas! You are really being tested in life right now but only because you can handle it and it will make you stronger! You are lucky to have such a supportive husband that obviously adores you. I hope you can jump on that cruise ship soon!

:yahoo:Everyone happy. Please note: 'thingy' is a new medical term!
Thingy, thing-a-my-jig, doohickey, and whatchamacallit.
Know them all!:yes:
I love the quaint little tapas place and the good news you have to celebrate.
:angel:

Sadly having a pity party today. :sad:

Yesterday after pedaling, walking with walker then on new crutches, had to lie down with ice and elevation ... above and lateral to knee swollen, also calf! Hip behaving thankfully. Hubby being unsympathetic and raised voice ... I cried! I told hubby I can't go through this again. Hubby walks off to his office/computer. I wrote Surgeon e-mail asking for appointment and blood test, got ackowledgement, waiting for date. Needless to say a strained afternoon/evening followed.

Today, not even asked how I am, going about as usual! Last week I had asked him to put non-slip strips on corner of bath where I get in and out now that I am able to get in and out. A while ago he comes and asks me where the strips are ... I told him that at a guess HE put them in the bottom drawer in the kitchen. He came back with them in hand and said it was a good job I have a good memory because he can't remember what he did several years ago!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!

By the way, I am fine today but will find out for sure when I walk to the bathroom for a soak in the tub, some 30 steps away plus a step. I use a commode chair next to the bed at night because of the distance. The guest toilet is marginally closer also with a step but hubby turned the water off months ago as it needs a repair which he will do at some time in the distant future!

I estimate he spends 45 minutes to an hour a day helping me and doing things for me. I cannot wait to be totally independent again, it cannot come too soon.

Rant over ... sorry! :sorry: You don't get through 51 years without ups and downs.

Any old how, I plan on having a peaceful Sunday perhaps sitting outside in the shade for a while and hope everyone else enjoys their day. xx

image0011[1].gif

PS By the way, I ALWAYS say thank you every time hubby does something for me, ie, gets a cup of tea, helps me with my clothes, laundry, etc, and i always say 'thank you, love you, sleep well' at the end of the day.

Last edited:
@Izabel Ah the trials the tribulations of our other half. Some are sympathetic - some aren't. It's a tough journey for everyone. Hang in there - you will be independent very soon.

Have a lovely weekend!

Even normally sweet supportive partners can have an off day, right?:umm:
By the way, I ALWAYS say thank you every time hubby does something for me, ie, gets a cup of tea, helps me with my clothes, laundry, etc, and i always say 'thank you, love you, sleep well' at the end of the day.
Thanks for this...it IS important. I shall remember to not forget :praying:
What a sweet one you are, Izabel.
It's just been a long journey.
Keep the faith friend:console2:

So sorry your day was bad yesterday ... hoping today is a much better day.

These hubby’s find disability very difficult to handle if they have had no first hand knowledge by having trouble themselves..it’s frustrating for both of you ..... how lovely that you remind us to always be grateful .. you are such a lovely lady...[emoji3590][emoji3590]
my gratitude is sometimes through gritted teeth though [emoji23][emoji23]
Thinking of you @Izabel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sending ❤️ to you sweet @Izabel Hope you got a good nights rest and today is easier and brighter. We can all relate on our caregivers. It’s been a long road. I know you are eager to get on with it and be independent. Hoping today is better. :flwrysmile:

It sounds like your hubby is almost as good as mine procrastinating on household jobs. Drives me crazy to live around something I don't have the knowledge or ability to do myself. I assume there is the odd harsh exchange going on in most of our homes during recovery. It is a long process and for some of us has involved many months and even years. Although they don't have physical aspects to deal with, their lives have changed a lot as well to accommodate us.
We had a discussion before this surgery about the last round and my feeling like he was almost angry all the time. He felt he was really overwhelmed last time by our lives changing so dramatically, suddenly. He felt out of control. He was afraid of hurting me when helping, a further accident and the what the final outcome would be. Five years ago things changed around here due to two serious falls so it literally changed in a heartbeat. This time he has felt much more in control because we were able to plan and prepare. I think just being aware that our partners are also going through some stuff helps and acknowledge that with them.
I do agree that showing gratitude is vital. I am not gushy and constant with it but I am very careful to say please & thank you for everything and to say "thank you for everything you have done for me today" at bedtime.
I hope you are feeling a bit better today - funny that so many of us seem to have knees flaring up recently! Mine was terrible again last night.
:flwrysmile:

Being a caregiver to a spouse can put a strain on the relationship it seems. I'm sure it's difficult for our partners to view us in a position of need. They may silently worry at times, have concerns about what the future may hold and most likely they're just plain old tired some days. Hopefully today feels brighter for you both. :SUNsmile:

You have our support here, Izabel. You've been such a sweet, kind, dedicated supporter of others through your own trials and have lifted others in their time of need. May you be richly blessed.
Love and hugs to you :loveshwr::friends:
@Izabel

Oh Izabel, i do feel for you you have an amazing spirit and determination and I totally admire your way of dealing with it all. Currently watching my husband embedding lupins and lemon trees which should thrive over a hot English summer.

I am facing the dentist for an extraction on Wednesday.... slightly terrified but it is time....

I have elbow crutches and they really helped with my walking do hope they do the same for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom