Hip Infection* Izabel, Walking on Sunshine

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
Five and a half months in and I have done the turn around ... for the past two weeks I have slept 5-7 hours (usually in 3 sessions due to night pees, have no pain so take no medication as the hip fractures have healed. I cycle 10 minutes daily, use the energiser for 25 minutes daily and hobble tip toe with the walker for 40 steps ... but that should change soon.

I saw my Surgeon today for a pre-op discussion. He is having arranged blood tests, X-ray, vascular Ultrasound and Anaethetist appointments on the same day then will see about getting Revision Replacements for my hip. I currently have DePuys equipment but he needs to get a stem to lengthen my leg by 3cms. He will do Anterior Lateral and depending on what he sees/happens when he is inside he may have to wire the stem to femur. The scar will be longer than the current one. He says confinement should be 5 days but will book me for 8 to make sure I have a bed.

So, now I await a call with the pre-op date followed by surgery date which is anticipated to be about 6 weeks off
:happydance: then I will be :egypdance::yahoo:.

Perhaps Admin would kindly move me to Revision Hip Replacement and change my title to Izabel Walking for Christmas. Thank you.

@Izabel I moved your post to the hip pre-op side. Please let us know your date when you get the call. Glad things are moving forward for you!

@Izabel .....glad things are moving for you, once you've got that date you can start planning to say goodbye to the pain :yes!:

@Jaycey thank you.

@anny thank you ... fortunately I don't have a lot of pain now as all fractures are healed, just a stem that shot down my femur when I fell making my leg 5cms short and misaligned pelvis. Being the same leg as my TKR, walking is shall we say 'a trial to be reckoned with'.

So glad for you...:snow plough:
Only walking Christmas I could find...No Snowblowing !:)

:heehee: @mojo ... no snow here my friend, probably 15-20c here Christmas so it will be walking in sunshine. :SUNsmile: We don't even get frost here, perfect climate. I miss being able to enjoy the outdoors.

I wonder how long I have to wait for that call, ... phone is glued to me ... my patience is very thin after11 months. :bored:

Wonderful news @Izabel
I'm happy for you. What a wonderful Christmas it will be!
Wishing you comfort as you await your date.

Hide that phone under the cushion Izabel.....we all know sitting on the end of the phone guarantees they don't call :heehee:

All pre-ops tomorrow the 21st then consultation with nurse on the 27th for results, after which op date given. Now that it is all happening I am anxious. :scary:

Of course you are anxious. We have all been there - some of us twice (or more). Just keep posting here. It does help to go through this journey with others. Fingers crossed that date is soon!

you'd probably be a robot if you weren't anxious, and therefore have to be excluded from the forum :heehee: Truthfully the runup is the worst bit, when your imagination runs amok and no amount of logic can calm you down...but once the process starts you'll be too involved to think about it, and afterwards you'll realise it wasn't worth the worry. You've already done the hardest bit, deciding to do something about it.... the rest will follow and you'll have lots of support here :yay:

@Jaycey, I too have been through this before! In 2013 for breast cancer, in 2014 a THR following a fall cleanly breaking my femur, in March of this year with a TKR ... but it doesn't get easier.

I am shattered after the pre-ops, bloods (including MRSA swabs, a pelvic X-ray,, a chest X-ray an ECG and a vascular ultrasound.

@anny, I didn't make the decision to have this done. After a fall and car accident I was hospitalised in March for a Revision Hip Replacement as the stem slipped 5cms but the Surgeon decided the knee needed replacing first as the kneecap was dead. X-rays discovered I have Osteoporosis so I have been on bone-strengthening and blood medication since then. I don't have any options if I want to walk again.

É a vida!

Last edited:
I'm sorry for all you've been through, Izabel.
I hope all goes well with your pre-op and you can get the surgery scheduled.
It will be nice to finally move forward without pain. You deserve that.
Prayers for comfort and your peace of mind as you wait this out.
@Izabel

Just got back from consultation with nurse. It was longer than expected but she did blood pressure, temp, diabetes test, etc, and asked zillions of questions. All pre-ops okay. Came away with two packs of body washes but no date. They will contact. Shattered now. :sleep:

Hi :wave:
I had to have my surgery within a month of my pre-op doctor appt.
Assuming that is not the case in Portugal?
I hope you get your date soon so you can begin to mentally prepare, but mostly for your relief.
Hang in there....stay in touch.
Hugs to you @Izabel

Tough one, you are.:yes:
Hopefully this is the Last Big Surgery...and recovery.:fingersx:
You have lots of folks rooting for you!
Hope today is a Good Day @Izabel :) :-) (:

not sure which is worst....the physical exhaustion or the mental toll it takes on you....no matter how ready we think we are for this journey, it stirs up a lot of emotions. Hope you have/are having a restful weekend @Izabel :SUNsmile:

Not much to report.

It was 6 months Saturday for my new knee which is behaving itself. Would be better and will be when I have had Hip Revision so I can walk properly.

Had a thought, when I had my op for BC in 2013 and my hip op in 2014 (both at same hospital) the Surgeons all had a meeting on Wednesday mornings to discuss the week's anticipated forthcoming surgeries so things could be prioritised for the operating rooms, surgeries and Anaethetists. When I told my sister who lived in Germany this, she said the same procedure happened there. Maybe I am waiting for such a meeting to occur so I can have my op date for my Hip Revision ????

Patience, Izabel, have patience ... :beg:

I certainly hope you hear from them soon. :fingersx:

Eek, had an e-mail from the hospital this morning saying " your pre-anesthetic consultation was given as unfit" ... what is that about? :what: I was given an appointment to see the Anaesthetist on 12 October ... :boohoo:... but I asked for cancellation or sooner if possible and was given tomorrow at an associated hospital nearer :yes!: ... which of course I accepted.

:praying: it is nothing to delay surgery. Will report back tomorrow.
:fingersx:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks