BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

I've got to get well: 34-year-old mother of four.

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by jgmurrayaf, Jun 12, 2018.

1. jgmurrayaf

jgmurrayaf new member

United States United States
    Hi. I'm scheduled for bilateral thr (anterior) the 19th, so one week from today. I'm just so nervous. I know how successful these surgeries are, so I'm not really afraid of that. I just have to get back to life. I'm only 34 years old. I'm a teacher, and school starts back the end of August. I'm also the mother of four, young boys. My husband is active duty Air Force, which is why my doctor agreed to do both at the same time, while he'll certainly be here to aid in my recovery. I've been putting this surgery off for a very long time, but my hips are quite-literally shot now. I've been on crutches since March, and I'm very limited. I know I'm kind of rambling, but if anyone would be willing to share their story/recovery timeline, I'd really appreciate it. I know everyone recovers differently, but I'll be fine to just kind of get an idea of what I'm in for. Thanks so much in advance.

2. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

@jgmurrayaf Welcome to the forum! If you go over to the Recovery side of the forum, you can look for threads with a green tag for those that have had bilateral replacements. @Mojo333 is one of the forum advisors that has had bilateral THR that can give you some advice.

Very normal to have lots of nerves - we all had it to some degree.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@jgmurrayaf
    Welcome to BoneSmart glad you joined us!

Generally speaking you should be feeling a lot better around 3 months, and you will continue to heal over the next year or so. That said, everyone is different, some heal sooner, some heal later.
    Chart representation of THR recovery

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
    Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing hip recoveries

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. emilymae99

emilymae99 junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi! I'm having a LTHR on the same day! I'm going to university in September so I'm hoping to be recovered by then. Good Luck next week!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

I think you should read our recovery guidelines now so you can get a good idea of how it will be

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: Will be wonderful to get rid of this Horrid Hip pain, right?
    I was blessed with a "mostly" complication free recovery...AND doing great.
    Recovered in 3 1/2 months? um no!
    Possible you will be well on your way by then, but all of our bodies heal differently so there's no promises.
    I was back to work, hip pain free.. sore thighs and small issues..and handling all very well, but zapped after.
    I did not have children to take care of daily either, except my brood of college student volunteers at
    my charity.
    Another big factor will be if you can give it the appropriate time to heal and not overdo in the first months.
    No PT, plenty of icing, and walking.
    Hope you have some help!?
    You can do this..but it will take patience.
    Bonesmart was invaluable to me.
    I sure will be here rooting for you!:ok: @jgmurrayaf

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Bilateral? I have no idea what you're in for. After one I think I see the theory of do it once and get it over with of bilateral. There's a post on here somewhere that references a Dr. saying he had a THR patient playing tennis in 2 weeks!! In 2 weeks watching tennis on TV would be about the extent of it for normal humans, probably would fall asleep just because you're continuously tired not from boredom. This is a major operation that takes a long time to recover from. After 4 mos I can tell you it's very easy to find how far is too far to push it. Followed by a lot of inactivity. I'm just doing household chores and gardening, not close to what I did with my bad hip.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    Welcome to the forum!! Count on the forum for helping to with any questions. This forum was a life saver for me!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

You are in for getting your life back. Sure, there is post op discomfort. But unlike pre-op pain it is easily controlled.

You will need to give yourself time to heal - there is no rushing this recovery. Read the guidelines Josephine left for you and ask any question you may have. We are here for you!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. jgmurrayaf

jgmurrayaf new member

Wow, thanks for your responses, information, and kind encouragement. It's great to be here. My boys will actually be at my parents' for the summer, which is such a blessing. I am excited to not hurt; I've never experienced that. I am just filled with anxiety over waking up and everything I don't know after that point.

11. dogchick

dogchick senior

Welcome to the Bone Smart forums! Everyone is so helpful and friendly here. I’ve had a million and one questions and every one has been answered. I will be having my left hip done almost 2 weeks after you, so I will be checking in on you to see how your recovery is going. :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. craigt

craigt new member

You are young and I assume active if you have 4 kids! I would expect you will bounce back very quickly! I only had right hip replacement. At 54 I was very active before surgery, playing racquetball up until 2 weeks before surgery. I was extremely motivated as I wanted to get back to living life and I also have a small business that depends upon me being out to my stores. Did the walker for 5 steps at the hospital before switching to the cane. Had out patient surgery on a Wednesday March 28, 2018. Used the cane Thursday thru Sunday and got rid of the cane on Monday! Started driving with full confidence in less than a week. Full time back to work on Tuesday after surgery. Went back to racquetball after 6 weeks and play twice a week now. Most of the time I do not even think about the hip as an issue now. Slight aches and pains but no worse than my other aches and pains that are typical of a 54 year old who still plays like a 30 something year old! Don't worry! Keep a positive attitude. Don't go to fast, but I think your pain will be a good governor to your return to activity! I hope you will be as lucky as me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. sequin98

sequin98 graduate

Canada Canada
    That is quite the recovery @craigt
    I limped around for 3 years waiting for surgery. The waiting has a lot to do with the recovery. I am not 100% yet, but I will get there. :kitty:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mojo333

Oh goody you have a bit of a mommy break.
    Don't worry, (yes, I know:whistle:)
    You are going to do great.
    I was so excited about getting rid of that hip pain that once I realized the rest was all recovery stuff, it became very doable.
    Not a walk in the park, don't get me wrong, but your surgeon must think you are fit and a good candidate for bilateral surgery...so is great you can be one and done!

Warning..
    Your new nickname will be
    "Both at Once?" .Mine was...before and after:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bone-obo

Bone-obo senior

Brother @craigt may be a bit of an exception in terms of recovery speed, to say the least! (And I thought I was doing well!) Nevertheless, while your experience may be just as breezy, or take longer, the outcome will almost certain be the same: complete recovery, and the freedom to enjoy your kids and your life without pain.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. jgmurrayaf

jgmurrayaf new member

You guys are great. I am healthy and pretty active, with the exception of the past three months. I read somewhere that: post-surgery, I'll only be getting better--instead of worse. That gave me so much hope. I kind of feel like the closer it gets, though, the harder everything seems; like, I've run out of steam . . . only four more days. I'm terrified.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mojo333

I DO understand! You've got this...
    I can tell you I was ill prepared, mostly naive and uninformed...and still managed to muddle through it.
    Especially with bonesmarties by my side.
    There won't be anything for you to DO, especially at first...just stay medicated and iced up.
    I am now in better shape than I have been in since my 30s..(so you should feel fifteen) work a very busy job including lots of physical activity , swim, ride ATVs, walk without limping, sleep without tossing and moaning, and wake up feeling blessed.
    Not saying I felt like that immediately...but the big picture is the one that counts, right?
    Try to find some distractions this weekend!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mojo333

You've got to get well!:ok:

19. tallguy79

tallguy79 member

So about 8 weeks from surgery until yo have to start getting redy for school? Everyone is different but I would expect at 8 weeks you are walking without any assistive device but will get tired by mid day. I haven't been in a classroom in a couple decades but I assume you can sit about 1/2 the time? Make sure to eat multiple times during the day to keep your energy level up. You should be fine but it could be difficult the first month or two of school.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mojo333

:hi: Hope you are finding some distractions this weekend and staying well.
    You will soon be on the healing side, and be rid of that bone crunching hip pain so you can get on with life.
    Hope your day is sweet!