THR It's over!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you day at work went well, and glad the heel to toe chant is working for you. Let us know how youo made out and hope your doc visit goes great.

Well, first week back to work down. I start my 2nd week tomorrow. So far, so good. Back to driving and really enjoying the freedom and the normalicy that is returning to my life. I even cleaned my entire house the other day...even vacuumed. Doctor released me from all restrictions so I'm a free bird. Just 6 weeks ago I was beginning my adventure. Now everything is behind me and things are looking good. No more hip pain and most all of the stiffness is gone...just a little after I've sat down too long or driven some distance. That is the only time I limp now too. Just until I work the stiffness out. I'm actually babysitting an 18 month old and a 4 year old this evening. Love those grandbabies! I can't believe that people wait so long for a THR. They are the best thing since the discovery of chocolate! I am definately an advocate for THR's now. To everybody thinking about it...JUST GO FOR IT! Deb :yes!:

you go girl 3.jpg
you rock 2.gif
Just a fantastic report, Deb. Nothing like a really satisfied customer. And being able to play with those grandbabies is one of wonderful benefits of having a new man-made hip and no pain. You'll be an inspiration to those coming along. Enjoy your "new" live, take care, and keep us updated. We care about you.
hug3-smiley.gif

Thankyou for your posts Deb I cannot tell you how encouraging they are for those of us yet to accomplish the feat. You give us strength to charge forward ! Congratulations on your achievement and more to come :dancy:

Deb, I understand how you feel, I had a fracture so my recovery has been slower, but when I see that leg move in ways that I forgot it could even do, and when I can't walk it is not because the operated leg gave out, but the THR in waiting leg, it makes me feel good. I can see and feel freedom coming to me again, so I know how happy you must feel, bottomshollow, is right. You ROCK!!

Hi Deb, I've read your entire thread and was really encouraged by it. I'm two weeks out of anterior THR on my right side. Getting stronger but don't feel like I'm close to giving up the walker or crutch. I hope you are continuing to get better and feel some progress everyday. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Hi Deb
I am so glad your rehabilitation has gone so well. It is quite a inspiration to me and others. :bow:

I'm glad my journey has been an inspiration to others. Please keep in mind that we all heal at our own pace, depending on the procedure used, our age, and our lifestyle before surgery. I only put up with the pain for a year before I decided to have the surgery so I wasn't on a walker already or a sedentary lifestyle. I was gritting my teeth and still taking the stairs several times a day and walking to units to visit patients. That doesn't mean that I'm any tougher or healthier than anyone else. It's just something to consider when comparing your recovery to mine. Celebrate each little milestone and heal at your own pace. Ice, elevate, medicate, and rest. When you begin walking be sure to concentrate on the heel and toe chant. In other words, say heel, toe as you walk to be sure you are walking correctly and not walking flat footed as I discovered I was. Once I realized this, I was able to work the limp out in about a week or so and was walking normally. Remember, take it at your own pace...your body will tell you when to stop. Learn to listen to it...that was a hard lesson for me. I am such a stubborn thing at times. I am continuing to check in every few days here so if you have any questions, please leave them. Everyone at work is so amazed at how I am doing and they are so glad to see me without a limp in my step. You will get there too. Slow and steady wins the race! Deb

For those of you that were wondering, I'm 56 years old myself.

Hey Gang - Had to jump on here for a quick question to my friends. I've been doing great at work but am now focusing my problems back on my knee pain which is what started before my hip. My question isn't a knee question though, it's a Hydroco question. My knee pain is intermittent often depending on the weather. Today it was really hurting and the Tylenol didn't do the trick. This afternoon I had to break down and take 1/2 of a 7.5 - 325 which I know isn't much. It did the trick though and cut my pain way down to the point that I could concentrate on work and finish out the afternoon. So my question is this...if I take 1/2 in the A.M. and 1/2 in the P.M. just on days that I have severe knee pain, will I get addicted? I know my British friends are probably laughing at that question. I can't even think about a knee replacement for at leasta couple of years since I am just returning from my THR. Any suggestions? Deb:what:

Oops...I better add to my previous post that my OS had prescribed the Hydroco for me long before he had to prescribe it for the hip.

Aargh! I can't do this today. I meant to say the my OS prescribed theHydroco for my KNEE long before he had to for my hip. :) Deb

You know, Deb, you could have just clicked on "Edit" below your post and made the change right there instead of doing a new post. Just FYI.:)

I'd vote absolutely not: not at that level when you're taking it for pain, not fun. I've been taking percocet for six months, 2-3 5mg a day (maybe 4 for a few weeks post-op) and easily slid off onto Tylenol this week. If you take it, get help for possible constipation. I find Meloxicam, an anti-inflammatory, helps with my duff knee while my friend does well on diclofenac. There might be better alternatives for your knee problem than hydrocodone: you might want to see your GP about it.

Thanks, Vida. I had forgotten about the Meloxicam and do have some. My OS had prescribed it for my knee about a year ago. I'll try that. Deb

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie