It's Kath's day....again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to sit up for a while but it will get easier. And if Kath reads, an easy reading book might be in order, and some DVDs - great chance to catch up on chick flicks. it is so sweet of you to keep us informed. And you sound so compassionate. I had a bruise that was literally solid purple from the tourniquet line to below my knee and I could hardly look at it. Then it moved down my leg and eventually jumped off at the foot. It's normal. I hate to think what they do to us to bruise like that! Give our love to Kath and we're praying for you both!! I think the spouses probably need prayer as much or more than us sometimes.

Hello everyone,
well here it is almost 4am, good time to check in. It is me this time, not my dear husband checking in. Have my laptop up and running.
Thanks Skeet, I know from the last time that reading and dvd's are great, but right now I just fall asleep. I just have so much more swelling than the last knee and I am in severe pain when I stand up. I try to use my walker and walk around the house a little while until it eases up, but I end up back in bed. I get up every 4 hours. It is much harder this time around. My back is really good though, I am so thankful for that. My thigh inside my knee, outside of my knee, calf, well pretty much whole thing aches, burns, just is a mess. The incision looks good though. I have been using tons and tons of ice packs. I just don't know what else to do at this point. It will be 1 week tomorrow. My in home PT hasn't shown up yet. I am going to call her in the morning. Thought for sure she would be here by now. Nurse was here on Tuesday. My temp is fine, all stats are good, just a big old fat achy achy on fire knee. Oh and Patti, of course I have the big "c" going on. taking Miralax, plum juice, stool softners, oh brother where we go again. I think a lot of my problem is that I am in so much pain that I can't sit down very well even on the lifted potty.
But at least this time I have friends out there that know what I am going through. Any advice on the swelling? If I could get this down more,the rest would fall more into place I think. It is so swelled up that I can barely do anything. I am content for now to rest, but I just want to be able to drag my big old butt to the bathroom without crying outloud in pain. I keep comparing to the last time, which obviously is not a good idea. My dr said not to do that, even though it is the same body it is still a different knee. Well time for some more meds, trying to get comfortable. I will get back on later today.
Thanks for all of your support and kind words to my husband while I was out. Cath, that is really weird about John and John, Cleveland,etc.
What business is your husband in? Mine is a barber, has his own old fashioned barber shop, musician, he is a bass player in 3 bands, books entertainment he has a small agency and he still dj's on occasion on local radio station.
I am a catering manager for a small college. Elizabetllnhtown PA
4 kids, 3 sons, 1 daughter, 1 granddaughter, 1 grandson
And they are pulling me through. Granddaughter is snuggled up in my bed right now, poor hubby on the sofa. He didn't have the heart to move her. She wanted to stay take care of me so here she is.
Well need those meds, pain is kicking in full tilt.
Until tomorrow,
Kath

Kath, I'm sorry to hear about your pain and swelling. I know, since this is knee2 for you, that you know probably as much as I do about what 'they' tell us to do. Are you elevating your foot/leg? My doc really stressed the ankle pumping all day, 25/hour, to reduce swelling, improve circulation and regain muscle control/strength. I don't think I can tell you anything new, just reminders. May the Lord bless you and keep you and give you Peace.

Hi Kath

So pleased you are able to ise your lap top now. Sorry to hear about your poor leg. That brings back painful memories. Mine felt like that in the early days, thought the inside of my leg was trying to burst out of my skin, especially when I first stood up, felt like my lower leg was on fire. That took well over a week to subside to a more bearable pain.

Like the others said, a good DVD really helps take your mind of it and of course the meds. You are so right about the grandchildren, I have one and one on the way, just looking at her can bring a huge smile to my face!!

Your John sounds so lovely too, it is hard for them to see you like this. Mine is still very sympathetic, especially when I have my pity meltdowns. Mine are worse when I don't get enough sleep.

Anyway, I am thinking of you often and wishing you lots more comfort. Take care, Hugs, Sue xoxo

Well, welcome back lady... I just missed your post by a few minutes. I was up wandering around the hose three different times last night.
You know the drill. Like Gat said, do the ankle pumps. Keep it iced and elevated. Bummer about he ole "c" problem.
At your point, I couldn't read that first week or two. I fell asleep pretty much when I opened the book...I got my bill from the first month of Pay per View movies. $35. I didn't see most of them..Fell asleep. I think the sleep is your best friend. That's a good healing time.
Hang in there and stay in touch.

Hi Kath,
It was so good to hear from you just like an old friend. Try really hard when you ice your knee to get it above your heart. I would lie on the couch or bed and elevate it by laying flat and putting two king size pillows length wise under my leg. By doing it lengthwise I didn't have to worry about creating a permanent bend in my leg because the pillow went from my hip to below my foot. If you don't lift it above your heart I don't think it does it any good so a recliner really doesnt do it.
I would go to sleep also every time I opened a book and the only really good therapy for me would be the grandkids. John and I have 5 grandkids aged 10 through 2 years old. John is over security in a nuclear facility and I own a travel agency out of my home. John is my cook and chef as he loves it and is really good. Right now he is taking a cake decorating class with Wilton and loves it and so do the girls as now they can have dad make the cakes and they don't have to pay a baker.
John and I also love acting in the local theater. We were in Music Man years ago and now I'm really the only one that acts. I have been Mother Superior in Nunsense and many other parts I love being on stage. Now if I could just find a way to get paid for it I would be thrilled.
I did get a call from the local hospital and they are having an appreciation dinner for their volunteers and wanted to know if I could come and do 15 minutes stand up comedy. I said yes and she ask how much do you charge I had to think quickly as I never been paid before so I said is $50.00 okay? She said that was great so maybe my career is launched.
Hang in there Kath and feel better soon I will be praying for you. It's Holy Week and I'm Catholic and will be in Church most of this week so I will keep you in my prayers.
Cath

Good to hear from you directly, Kath. we've missed you! Other than ice and elevation I don't know what helps the swelling go down. time maybe.

About the discomfort at night... I had gotten by that a bit, but now it is like I have restless legs syndrome. I feel antsy and like I need to move my legs a lot. Can't keep my feet still. Anyone else experiencing this around 13 weeks? If so, does it pass? Any advice on what to do about it?

Skeet, along with the legs wanting to move, I got something real weird yesterday morning. I hadn't taken the pill the night before. I woke up with my abdominal muscles quivering. Not real bad but it has never done that before..I'm going to see if halving the meds for a few days works, and then quartering it. However, if I start hurting especially on leg workout days, or some more weather fronts, the heck with it. Ole dougie is popping the "whole thang"!!
P.S....It is good to have you back today.

Skeet, along with the legs wanting to move, I got something real weird yesterday morning. I hadn't taken the pill the night before. I woke up with my abdominal muscles quivering. Not real bad but it has never done that before..I'm going to see if halving the meds for a few days works, and then quartering it. However, if I start hurting especially on leg workout days, or some more weather fronts, the heck with it. Ole dougie is popping the "whole thang"!!
P.S....It is good to have you back today.

My first wife quit the pill once and it really caused problems..........just sayin.

I knew I should use the term "meds" when I wrote that...

Thanks for the laugh. You all are the best!

Skeet, I have heard that restless leg syndrome can be caused by lack of magnesium, that's all I know I'm afarid.

I take vitamins and get magnesium, but I'll check with my doctor. It's really irritating when you are tired.

Kath - God be with you, sister. I know (and you know) that swelling will go down eventually but I am praying that it goes down SOON!! In the meantime, the higher you can get those feet, the better. Vertical would be good (j/k)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018