BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

It's frustrating trying to plan....

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Laurenkate, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Laurenkate

Laurenkate Junior Member

United States United States
    After reading a lot of the information here, I think I have a pretty good idea of what to expect insofar as recovery is concerned after my TKR at the end of the month. One of the frustrating things though is trying to figure out what to plan for the few months after surgery.

My doctor thought an 8 hour road trip (each way) six weeks after surgery was really "pushing it" so that's been cancelled. What about a visit from the toddler grandchildren 12 weeks out? Is it basically a good idea to see how things go and not plan on anything for a while? I've lost the past 15 months to this stupid bad knee and am ready to get back to feeling somewhat normal and back to regular activities again....soon!

Did you schedule things too soon after surgery? How did it go?

2. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If you're driving, yes I'd agree it'd be a bit much.

Grandchildren after 12 weeks I'd say would be no bother, as long as they are under some sort of parental control.

Surgery Dec 5th, little jig to welcome in the following New Year. Big Mistake :censored::bignono: caused by excess:martini:

I'd reckon not to do too much for 2 months, as little as possible for at least 1 month.

3. Celle

Celle Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree that the travelling would have been too much.

However, having the grandchildren to stay at 12 weeks should be OK, as long as their parents understand that you will not be doing anything for them. Their parents will have to prepare their food (and yours as well would be kind). Your main job will still be to take care of you.

You can sit with the grandchildren, read them stories, and play quiet games, but you won't be up to playing on the floor with them, or anything that involves a lot of activity.

About a month after I had my last TKR, my son, daughter and two young granddaughters (aged 2 and 4) came to live with us for 3 months, while they were re-settling in New Zealand, job hunting, and looking for a house. It worked out well, because my daughter in law and son took over all the cooking and housework. I was still able to get plenty of rest. My main occupation was reading stories (the children each sat on an arm of my recliner) and watching children's TV with the children in my bedroom, while we all had an afternoon rest.
    The children, although young, were very solicitous of "Nana's sore knee."

4. Josephine

Josephine NURSE DIRECTOR, BONESMART Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's a jolly good idea because no matter how many stories we tell you or you read on here, your recovery will be different from them all. For instance, I was 'delicate' on my first knee for 4 whole months but on the second I was good to go in 8 weeks! Go figure!

5. little red canoe

little red canoe Senior

I had grandkids visit six weeks after but they weren't toddlers! I also could travel at four weeks and drive and did so for two hours each way.. And seven hours each way some 9 weeks after. Not everyone likes to drive as much as I do.. nor can they without pain.

I get the giving up 15 months pain.. but it wont be forever.. I bet at 12 weeks you will enjoy getting out. We are going to New Hampshire ( two hours each way) for grandsons hockey then at 17 weeks the big push to FL in two days..

6. Laurenkate

Laurenkate Junior Member

Thanks for the input. As much as I'll miss the 6 weeks out trip, have to admit all this is a good excuse to get the kids here. I like to drive too but standing in the endless lines at rest stop bathrooms & then it taking 3 hours to drive 60 miles just about killed my knee over Christmas.

7. little red canoe

little red canoe Senior

Since we are going south.. could you tell me what rest stop bathrooms have endless lines? We usually go down 81 but are thinking of other new ways but don't want endless lines! ( Don't get them on 81 but I have done that route a couple of hundred times)

8. KarriB

KarriB Forum Advisor

During the first month I found I had low tolerance for long term visitors. I enjoyed short visits from friends and even children (my students) but about an hour after arrival I was ready for everyone to leave.

One of my Christmas presents that year was a ticket to see Wicked in our city. I was 10 weeks out and although I did enjoy the show, I should've forgone dinner before the show because by the time I got home my knee was HUGE. There was no way to elevate during dinner or the show. I had to elevate toes above nose with ice before going to bed comfortably. So there's just no way of knowing. I wouldn't make any plans, but if you're feeling great in your recovery, go for it.

9. Laurenkate

Laurenkate Junior Member

I-81 is probably the way to go. The lines in the rest stops on the NJ turnpike during the holidays & the summer weekends are ridiculously long - usually manageable during other times. You do not want to be on I-95 between Washington D.C. and Richmond, VA. The traffic comes to a complete halt and it can take hours to get through that 90 miles. Route 1 will then back up and there is just no way around it. If there's a traffic accident, all bets are off. When we went to NY over Christmas, it took 7 hours up and almost 12 hours to return home and about 3 days for my leg to vaguely "recover". The trip made me finally accept my knee needs to be replaced.

10. Red's Mom

Red's Mom Member

It sounds like you are very realistic about the probable recovery. I traveled at 6/10 weeks. It was an AWFUL day and took me several days to recover. Hopefully you'll be a quick recovery and really enjoy the grandkids visit! Good luck with your surgery.