TKR ITCHING ON BACK OF CALF 1 YR AFTER TKR

@sistersinhim

i can’t imagine that my situation will not eventually lead to this 4th joint being replaced. However, in my understanding of how the insurance company works, the OS has to verify they tried every other type of treatment and nothing worked well enough for me to use the damaged knee normally.
I’m gearing up to this eventually taking place.

Prior to my surgery for about 4-5 years I had the hylauronic acid gel injected twice a year into the side of my knee it worked really well and the knee was very comfortable with no pain, unfortunately my knee got so bad and I was then approved for surgery.
Most likely I will start needing it in my "Good right knee not before long"
Hope your insurance company sorts out for you soon xx

@Sara61
Thanks so much for that excellent information. My insurance company will cover two gel shots per year. I only hope they work as well for me as they did for you!!

The issue now is to get that initial approval.

In the meantime, I’m going to have to resort to the cortisone shot day after tomorrow as I had a lot to do today but left leg not cooperating. I could take Tylenol during the day but always wait until bedtime as the worst pain is at night and I know I can’t use too much Tylenol.

I had the hylauronic shot in my non-operated knee about 3 weeks ago and although there is some improvement I really can’t report anything major.
I’m going about my normal routine and walking quite a bit. I feel stable walking without a cane; however, because of the left leg I feel like I’m limping a bit. The operated leg sometimes clicks when I‘m walking but my OS told me that was normal 4 months post -op. I’m reconciled to having the left knee replaced next year. Not a pleasant thought but better than living with my “bum”:left knee interfering with my high functioning right knee!

I’m reconciled to having the left knee replaced next year. Not a pleasant thought but better than living with my “bum”:left knee interfering with my high functioning right knee!
I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm right there with you. The right one is done and behaving, the left one wants to act up every so often.

@sistersinhim I wish I could say the left leg gives me only intermittent trouble, but the stiffness and “gnawing pain” happens everyday.
it did surprise me that the gel shot did little to help me.
Thanks so much for your support!

I am sorry to hear the shots didn't work for you. They didn't work for me on my tkr knee either. I haven't tried them on the left yet. I am considering getting the cortisone shot for it when it aggravates me enough.

With yours bothering you all the time, it sounds like it's ready for the replacement. It will only get worse, whereas the tkr will get better!

I agree with you. I’m just hoping that I can endure the discomfort long enough to emotionally and financially get prepared for another major surgery that will require me to obtain private nursing for at least 2 weeks.

How many injections did they give you, I was given 1 injection in the side of my knee every week for 3 weeks. I will consider next winter asking again for my right knee which is now starting to play up - thankfully our health system is much simpler than yours, at our local hospital we pay a minimum consultation fee (7€) then we get any treatments subsidised. I can honestly say any treatment I have had is topclass.
Fingers crossed that things improve for you xx

The home PT came yesterday and emphasized that by the time the OS sees me for follow up this Friday he would expect a bend of 90 degrees on the operated knee
This may or may not be true. We’ve had other members who were told this, went to their appointment before reaching 90 and their surgeon was happy with their knee.

And even if he does expect it, your knee is on its own healing journey and will come along fine, given time. Don’t fear “the window of opportunity” because it doesn’t exist. My ROM is still improving at 2.5 years post op.

She said I should push the heel slide exercise as if the correct bend isn’t achieved scar tissue would form and it’s function would never return to normal.
I am amazed the anyone in the medical field would tell a patient this. As Celle is fond of saying, “scar tissue” is not just sitting there waiting to pounce if you don’t exercise enough. The opposite is more likely, pushing hot inflamed tissue to over exercise is the best way to cause an adhesion. (notice I did not call this scar tissue. There’s a big difference.)

Please don’t push anything. You will progress better if you treat your knee gently and patiently let it heal.

It’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
I think this is very good advice!

@sistersinhim
I live alone and have no reliable family/friends to assist me. After returning home from the surgery and for a reasonable amount of time afterward I was limited/unable to navigate cleaning, shopping, bathing, and laundry. I also needed transport to dr appts.

i think I misspoke when I used the term “nurse.” I agree I don’t need 2 weeks of nursing. I had the nurse Stay over 2 nights after I returned from the hospital but then transitioned into needing household help for chores i mentioned.

@Sara61
i will call my OS office Monday to see if they have anything else to offer me to manage that left leg until I’m ready for TKR on that side.

Thanks so much for the info.

Many of us were alone after our surgery. It just takes lots of planning ahead. I was alone, but had a neighbor who would call to see if I needed anything. Back in those days, you could get 90 Oxycodone for pain ahead of time, which I did. I bought lots of microwave dinners, water bottles, protein drinks and cat food and litter.

My housework went undone for a couple of weeks. Paper plates, cups and plastic utensils took care of the dishes. It can be done. Since I was busy taking care of myself, I took no PT, so I didn't have to worry about driving to those appointments. Uber can be hired to take you to your OS appointment. After that first one, you'll be able to drive yourself. I was blessed to have a friend from church take me for my first appointment.

Here is a site that has discussions about home alone after this surgery: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/home-alone-after-surgery.31170/unread

I think your points are absolutely on point and I agree that with proper planning I will be able to appreciably reduce the amount of $$ I spent the last time for household care services. Thanks for all your ideas!

You are certainly welcome. I hope you can work out something. Many of us recovered alone, so it can be done.

I’m determined to do the planning to make this work.

Also, it’s quite ironic that my Oct. 9th RTKR is doing so beautifully and I really can’t enjoy my progress and do things I would like to do (like walking a mile or two) because the left leg is out-of-synch and gets painful with overuse (doing normal activities) just like the right leg was prior to surgery.

This will be my 4th joint replacement so, hopefully, I’ll FINALLY be able to have the function I would like in a year or two!

I had my right knee replaced last October. Everything is fine and I have had no issues whatsoever with the new knee. Throughout the months I’ve noticed a patch of skin in back of my calf of the operated knee that itches. If I start scratching I know it won’t stop so I put some lotion on it and it calms down till the next day and it starts again. I called my OS and the PA made nothing of my inquiry just saying to keep doing what I’m doing. She wasn’t sure if it had to do with the TKR or not. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

@pdlinda
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. Don't worry that we won't see your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that?

Throughout the months I’ve noticed a patch of skin in back of my calf of the operated knee that itches. If I start scratching I know it won’t stop so I put some lotion on it and it calms down till the next day and it starts again. I called my OS and the PA made nothing of my inquiry just saying to keep doing what I’m doing.
You might like to ask your own doctor/PCP about this itchy spot. It's unlikely to be connected to your knee replacement.
Your own doctor may be able to prescribe an ointment that will stop the itching.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back