ITBS exercises

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoggie

Since both hip replacements have left me with LLD, I am experiencing ITBS in both knees.... Does anyone have any solutions or exercises that has been successful to this condition?
Thanks!

Has a doctor diagnosed you with iliotibial band syndrome? If so, what course of treatment did he or she recommend? You don't have a signature with your surgery date. Am I correct in recalling that you are about one month post-THR?

Here is a thread that may provide some helpful information for you. It is fairly common to have problems with the IT Band and sometimes resolution can take a while.

ITB Issues and Exercises

I have seen these stretches before, but I was "warned" not to "go over center", so how can I do these exercises?.....both hips have now been replaced.

Yes, my left hip was a replaced 5 weeks ago....the right one 3 years ago...and now both IT bands are hurting. The right one was 3/4" too long and now the surgeon added 3/4" to the left hip so I would be "level".
I don't know how I can do the recommended exercise if I am not to go over center. I know more PT is coming....so hope it helps.

Hello Phoggie,

I'll be 11 weeks post-op tomorrow :biggrin: and I am still working through some ITBS issues. In my estimate, it has been one of the toughest parts of my recovery (and surprisingly so!). My IT band sensitivity and pain went the entire length along the side of my thigh from my hip to past my knee.

The exercises in the link above are good ones...pretty much what my PT has given me as well.

The toughest but most effective exercise for me has been using a foam roller and rolling on top of it right over your IT band while laying on your side. That exercise caused pain that brought tears to my eyes the first time my PT showed me how to do it. But...I think it really helps.

I was also told I could use a rolling pin over my IT mband and that would allow adjusting the pressure a little easier. I don't have one so I just used the foam roller exercise sparingly until I could handle it. The point is firmly massaging the IT band seems to help, along with general muscle strengthening.

As I recall, I did not get any major relief from my IT band pain until about weeks 7-8. I still have some sensitivity there, but it continues to improve.

Good luck and have some patience with the ITBS if you can. I've heard ITBS can have a slow recovery even if you're not also recovering from a major surgery like THR!

Dan

Phoggie, you are very early in recovery from THR, at only five weeks out. At this point, I really think it would be best for you to stick with the exercises given to you by your OS or PT.

Have they suggested that you do IT band stretches now? If so, which exercises did they recommend? If you have not discussed this with your OS, perhaps it would be something to mention at your next check-up.

At 5 weeks, I'd think your pain is more likely just simple post-operative pain. What pain meds are you using, how much and how often?

Would you also be a dear and put your surgery date in your signature, please?
You can find the instructions here How to create a signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member