ITB band

Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie73

graduate
Country
United States United States
I am now 4 weeks out and pretty discouraged. Long story short...I had problems with the ITB band/muscle prior to surgery. I can not bend my leg to sit comfortably yet. In fact I can only get to 75 degree bend without discomfort. I am in PT 3 times a week and doing stretching exercises 2 times a day. I would feel so great if only that muscle would work!! LOL.

Anyone else experience problems with the ITB band/muscle?

Kathy

ITB issues are common amongst runners. I know a few people personally who have had problems. Depending on the extent of the injury a common treatment is using a foam roller to stretch and work the muscle. You lay on your side on top of the roller and move your body along the roller. Ice after. Apparently it's painful but works. I don't think it takes very long to make an improvement.

Some Target stores sell the rollers pretty cheap. Most running stores have them as well.

Hi Webbie 73. I just had this conversation with Jo. on here yesterday. She will be on later and sure she will help you .I am 2 1/2 wks out I only bend at 65 because of my ITB. Because I have the same problem you are talking about. I spoke w/ my OS yesterday and he said to keep working on it it would take some extra time and Jo told me to google ITB streches and last night I started doing some of the streches and they really worked, hard but worked. Like you I bend about 65 not so good because of the ITB but showing improvement. also my scar is really tight to my skin so she showed me how to loosen that up as well and there is progress but I need to keep working. I am not an expert just sharing what happened to me maybe it will help you...But I am confident it will work it time...Good Luck to you. This is a great bunch of people here. couldnt ask for better. You will see you have come to the right place..They dont even know me and help so much.. Keep you chin up I am rooting for ya!! KIm

I suspect Im going to have a really tight ITB post surgery as the OS needs to give it a stretch in order to give me more leg length....sounds scarey and painful!

I suspect Im going to have a really tight ITB post surgery as the OS needs to give it a stretch in order to give me more leg length....sounds scarey and painful!

My leg was lengthened 3/4 inch. OS told me things would be stretched and tight for a while. So far it hasn't been painful, though. I'm sure it will be more uncomfortable when PT starts, which it tomorrow.

Webbie73
I had problems with my ITB band also. My doc sent me to therapy at about 6 weeks out. They did their massage (the painful kind) on the ITB band and as Scott said the rolling on the foam roller. It did help and the problem went away. It is uncomfortable to use the roller, but sure works.
Don't be discouraged, soon it will be all cleared up.
judy

At about 3 - 4 weeks, my IT band flared up big time, probably from trying to do too much too soon (water arobics, bike, etc). My PT recommended massage. I found a pro who was knowledgable about recovery issues and they worked on the leg, glut and IT Band specifically for over an hour. It has been fine ever since.

No guarantee it will work for you, but it did work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom