BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] IT Band

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by dickiedo, Jul 11, 2019.

1. dickiedo

dickiedo new member

United States United States
    8 weeks out TKR right knee.. have had extreme pain right side. Told it was ITB. 110 Deg and 0 range etc. can not sleep on left side. Driving and sitting painful. Difficulty raising knee when walking. Therapy riding bike weights on leg raising etc. therapy not helping with ITBand pain. Any thought?
    Is this wait and see?

Looking for ideas from others to improve recovery time. Have ITBAnd issues. Not sure what or how to fix the problem. PT not helping as of yet.

2. Benay

Benay graduate

Hello @dickiedo

I'm sure one of the moderators will be in touch shortly, they're full of great advice and help. This is a super site for all of us going through the same recovery.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @ - and :welome:

Please will you tell us the full date of your knee replacement , so we can make a signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

Here are the guidelines and articles we give to everyone who has a new knee:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

You didn't give us much time to respond to your first post. Unfortunately, we do not have staff on duty 24/7, as staff are all voluntary.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
    For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
    • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
    • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
    • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
    So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
    Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
    If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
    How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please will you do that, too.

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    NOw, about recovery and your IT band:

First of all, a knee replacement is not a surgery you can bounce back from within a few weeks. It takes as long as a full year for complete recovery and there's nothing you can do to speed that up. It's the same whether you're 18 or 80 - a long recovery that demands all the patience you can find.

Secondly, your knee is going to recover at its own speed, not the speed you'd like it to:
    Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

Working hard at PT won't help either. In fact, that could even slow down your recovery, because your soft tissues remain upset and irritated if you work them too hard while they're still trying to heal.. Your Range of Motion (ROM) is excellent for so early in recovery, so now's the time to ease off that PT a bit - especially cut out the weights - and let your knee heal without being stressed.

Here's an article about IT Band issues that may help you:
    ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

5. luvcats

luvcats senior

I have regularly gotten IT band pain from a combination of walking with a limp and the way my shoes break down. My go-to solution is magnesium oil. I just slather it everywhere on my legs, leave it for about 20 minutes, and then shower because it can leave a weird residue. I do that every night for several nights until suddenly it's gone. That might be something you could try.

6. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

7. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

I'm also one that has had loads of IT band problems. It always flares after a knee surgery (as I've had 11 now), but it also flares with too much sitting and biking when I'm not taking care to stretch my lower back, IT Band, glutes, pyrformis muscle, etc. for me, it's all connected and upset in once area often makes my IT Band miserable.

Personally, I've almost always needed specific PT help when my IT band gets bad after knee surgery. My surgeon has no trouble prescribing PT for 3-4 wks if I need it. It's cheaper for me than deep-tissue massage out-of-pocket, as insurance usually pays most of the PT cost, and the therapist can address any other misalignment in my lower back sacrum, as that's usually a contributing factor too.

• Like Like x 1