• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

It’s just a jump to the left

kneeidea63

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Here I go again: LTKR on 11th December, NHS schedules and winter pressures willing.

I always knew the left would need doing at some point. Ideally this should have been almost 3 years ago, but the radiologist’s report said “normal deterioration for my age”, to which I replied “you’ve got to be joking, I’m not 60 yet!”
So I carried on until January this year, when I really had had enough, and the new report said bone on bone; and the physio signed off a recommendation immediately; and the surgeon said “No question, you need a TKR” Unfortunately his waiting list was 7 months.
So here I am; older, less fit, and more anxious than last time, coming back to the place where I know I’ll get good advice.

Pumpkln

Country
United States United States
@kneeidea63
Welcome Back to BoneSmart!
Sounds like it is time for your left knee to have a TKR, glad you have only one more month to wait.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
:welome: back @kneeidea63 - although i'm sorry it's because you need another knee replacement.
I've added you to the December Supernovas surgery list.

OP
OP
kneeidea63

kneeidea63

Country
Thanks for the welcome @Pumpkln and @Celle. I’ll be revising the guidance in the next few weeks, as my pre-op assessment is in 2 weeks time. That’s a bit scary really, it just snuck up on me.

Tykey

big-cheese
Hi, it's always good to have more Brits on here.
7 months waiting list is surprising, because 18 weeks is supposed to be the maximum.

Anyway, you might be interested in this place, where waiting lists are 6 weeks.

OP
OP
kneeidea63

kneeidea63

Country
Hi @Tykey, my first TKR was within the 18 weeks but my hospital hasn’t recovered from a 4 month hit on electives 2 winters ago. It doesn’t help that one OS has left and one retired in the last year. At least I was warned. As my date is in December I’m trying to be relaxed about the possibility of a cancellation or delay.

luvcats

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Welcome back to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about the long wait. I found waiting to be the absolute worst part!

OP
OP
kneeidea63

kneeidea63

Country
Welcome back to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about the long wait. I found waiting to be the absolute worst part!
Isn’t it just! I alternate between depression and angry frustration, neither is good for my general well-being. It’s about a month to go now so I’m calming down and getting ready for the battle ahead.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nightingale
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom