Bilateral THR Issues with the cement in my right hip

I'll be a month behind you with second hip. We will have a terrific 2018!

I had both hips replaced, I now have pain in my left hip and my groin. When I have the pain I limp.

What could this be ?

Hi,
Sorry you're struggling with pain.
Wondering how long you've been experiencing the new pain and whether you can attribute it to anything? Activity? Exercise?
Have you contacted your OS and if so, what did he / she say?

I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but your post is rather vague, please provide some additional information so we're able to determine if we should tag the forum Nurse, Josephine.
Wishing you comfort and looking forward to your response.
@maggie23

Hi Maggie. I concur with Layla. We need to know a bit more about this new groin and hip pain. Any unusual activity of late? Any strains...from a slip or a fall or even just losing your balance a bit, or twisting funny for some reason? Any new activities you've taken on? Or even new shoes perhaps? I'm looking for some innocuous reason to say just take it very easy for a couple of days and let it subside. Have you done any treatment of any sort...ice, or perhaps an anti-inflammatory. And if so, does it help?

I asked you to tell me about this using the chart and you gave this as a site for your pain

maggie-jpg.58593

Is this still the case?

This is in post #31 if you want to check

Also
You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if necessary

There was also this notice in the post that Celle left earlier with the recovery guidelines
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thanks so much for complying with this. :)

Hello Maggie 23... sometimes hip surgery is tough on the whole body . It can be frustrating and difficult to keep pushing foreward. In many cases shoes from prior surgery are worn post surgery. Just a tiny little bit that helped me get thru three surgeries is to wear new shoes post surgery. We walk differently after surgery and our weight distribution is different with new hip. It is so important to have new shoes with good arch supports post surgery. Even helps to have spring shoes which takes the pressure off each joint while walking. Mbt shoes online. My surgeon recommends them once balance is stable. Walking heel to toe with weight properly balanced and standing straight can make all the difference, takes the pressure off joints that have been unbalanced due to OA. Helps knees too.

Last edited:
The pain is intermittent. I can start walking normally and then the pain is in my groin and the front of my leg. On the old diagram part of the pain is L2F. I can only walk by limping or have to stand still. The pain is intense. I cannot explain this pain or why at this stage I am having this issue.

It seems that something has moved or just not right with the new hip. I have had the pain for 3 weeks but it is now unbearable.
I have not fallen or done anything out of the ordinary.
I went to see my GP and he sent me for a xray, waiting for the results.
Painkillers are not working.

Hi,
Let's tag @Josephine and see if she has any questions for you.
I'm happy to hear you're being proactive and that your PCP ordered an x-ray.
Hopefully the results reveal something that leads to the origin of your pain.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@maggie23

:hi: Maggie
I'm so sorry you are in pain and anxious for answers.
Please let us know what they find out from the xrays. You know you can upload them here and Josephine can take a look?

Thank you everyone.... I will let you know as soon as I get the results. No pain today but I am sure it will be back. It was hard for me to go to the doctor but I had no option.

Josephine I do not have the pain where the red dot is now.

They did not see anything on the xray, said everything was normal, so I am going back to ask my GP to refer me to see my consultant. My hip is still giving way and very painful.

Hi maggie,
I'm sorry you're still struggling with pain and your hip giving out.
If interested, you could use the chart Josephine posted above and indicate below where the pain is currently, if it's no longer in the area of the red dot. Possibly Jo could asvise then.
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@maggie23

Hi
I did not think I would be back so soon. I had both hips replaced in the last 3 years. The cement in the right hip seems to have worn away in less than 3 years. My right hip,thigh,pelvic bone and lower back is swollen/inflamed. My lower spine is showing a lot of wear.
Has any one had this issue and what will have to happen to fix this. It feels like I am starting from the begining again with all the pain, sitting etc.
Why has the cement worn away? I am not a runner.
To be honest I thought I had a total hip replacement which was a ball and socket.
Not sure if I am posting this in the correct section

Maggie

@maggie23 I am so sorry you are having problems with your hip! Have you seen a surgeon about this? Had x-rays or scans to confirm the problem? If you have seen surgeon and had these pictures taken is it clear that the cement is the problem and not an infection? Hip replacements are ball and socket - the cement is used to reinforce the stem part of the implant that goes into your femur (big bone) and hold it more firmly in place. I am not sure why the cement would be wearing away so soon.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

Thanks will be seeing the doctor soon and another xray.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JoeyRamone
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom