• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bilateral THR Issues with the cement in my right hip

In relation to the other Hip.
Wouldn't it be just great to have it all done and dusted and get on with life.
If your feeling ok then why not go for it and have it done.
I'm glad I got both mine done together.
Joe.......

My eight weeks of sick leave is over on the 6th September and I will be returning to work.
Who told you it was 8 weeks of sick leave? During my time as an occupational health nurse, I always defined it to be 10-12 weeks for a hip depending upon the patient's progress.
I am would like to know if anyone has any suggestion I should ask my doctor to write on my fit to work certificate.
I don't know who you work for but the companies I worked for generally didn't take any notice of those fit notes! It was either yes or no - end of!
I would like to do less hours for the first couple of weeks
Then you should discuss this with your boss Phased return to work.

In relation to the other Hip.
Wouldn't it be just great to have it all done and dusted and get on with life.
If your feeling ok then why not go for it and have it done.
I'm glad I got both mine done together.
Joe..

I will be glad to get it over with and move on with life. I guess it was a difficult and long recovery on the bilateral. How are you feeling now ?
I will take it easy when I go back to work for the first couple of weeks, I will not know how I will cope until I start.
Trying to look on the positive side.
Thanks for the encouraging words

I have returned back to work last week and did 3 days. On the third day my ankle was a little swollen. I am trying to walk up and down the corridor at work to prevent the stiffness because I sit at a desk all day.
I had my LTHR on the 4th July, I am still on painkillers and use a crutch when shopping just incase.
The swelling on my scar has almost disappeared.
I feel stiff, what exercise do I need to do to help ease this feeling.

I feel stiff, what exercise do I need to do to help ease this feeling.
You don't need any exercise. What you do need is rest, ice and elevation. That stiffness is internal swelling. Just because the scar looks clean does not mean everything has healed.

Can you ice at work at all? Put your feet up?

You don't need any exercise. What you do need is rest, ice and elevation. That stiffness is internal swelling. Just because the scar looks clean does not mean everything has healed.

Can you ice at work at all? Put your feet up?

I think it would be difficult to ice at work but I could find a way.

I understand that I am still healing on the inside. At the moment I am in pain I really cannot say if it is the rheumatoid arthritis running through my body and still coping with the LHR. I am not exercising more stretching my legs.
I still have trouble sleeping and wake every 2-3 hours. Sleeping on my back with my legs up is a comfortable position lol. I am taking it slow and I am only working a few hours a day.
Having RA and a hip replacement is the recovering longer ? I do know that the pain is extremely confusing, am I taking painkillers for my hip or RA.

I will be going for my pre assessment on the 1st November for my Right Hip. I thought I would of felt a lot better todate. Like I have said before you make so much progress in the first first 6 weeks then it stops.

Like I have said before you make so much progress in the first first 6 weeks then it stops.
Nothing has "stopped". You are still healing and this can take up to a year or more. I am sure you will feel much better once that right hip is done. I know I progressed very quickly once both hips were replaced.

Double done and 4 and a half months out only minor issues and definitely when I have overdone it. No hip pain though and loving life.
Guessing that other bad hip making things hard along with work...
Will tell you, I am managing well with work but I have 6 hour days...very active days, and I am whipped out by the time I get home. I still ice and elevate and REST.
Hope all goes well...from your double hippy BS buddy.

Hi @maggie23
So sorry for your pain. It has to be difficult not only recovering from hip replacement but also
suffering with he pain of RA.....my heart goes out to you! Talk about an energy drain.....

Not sure if you're aware but you can purchase ice packs that have Velcro attached to them. Wondering if something like that may be beneficial for you while at work? Try an online search if you've never seen one
and see what you think.

Prayers for a great week wih successful pain management.

Thanks everyone.
I have read a lot of threads and I will have to come to terms with taking things slow and giving myself a few years for a full recovery on both hips.

I was unable to reach to cut my toenails before the op and I cannot do anything to do with my left foot. I am frighten to bring my leg up because of the 90 degrees rule.
Is it ok to try a little even though it is painful?
Will I dislocate my hip?
I thought I would have that flexibility.
Do I need to give it more time?

I had my LTHR on the 4th July 2017, I do not use the crutch all the time, when walking up stairs I take it one step at a time and still cannot walk up normal
Is that ok ?
Should I be using a walking stick ? to help reduce the pressure ?
I have gone back to the gym but only to use the treadmill, I take it really slow. After going back to work and sitting down I have just got so stiff.
I am waiting for a date for my right hip.

I think you sound be doing okay if you feel confident using that hip with no aid by now, if course only you will know.
Going all is good :) :-) (:for you today

I had my LTHR on the 4th July 2017, I do not use the crutch all the time, when walking up stairs I take it one step at a time and still cannot walk up normal
Is that ok ?
Should I be using a walking stick ? to help reduce the pressure ?
I have gone back to the gym but only to use the treadmill, I take it really slow. After going back to work and sitting down I have just got so stiff.
I am waiting for a date for my right hip.
I too get stiff if I sit any length of time and I limp without my cane. Everyone is different in their healing journey and we need to listen to our own bodies and not compare ourselves to others. This is learned from chatting with others on this forum. A lot is dependent on how bad our condition was before surgery and age, general health etc.... I wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Hey @Miggie
Hope you are doing well....
Just checking in:curtsey:

Hi
I am booked to have my RTH surgery on the 2nd January 2018, I am ready for the surgery now because the right hip is as painful as the left one use to be.

I am still recovering from the left

Hi @maggie23
I'm sorry you have to suffer awhile longer. That's no fun.
January 2nd will be here in the blink of an eye and hopefully bring you some well deserved pain relief.
Two major surgeries within six months is a lot, but you'll soon have the latest behind you and be in recovery.
To brighter days and a great 2018!

Thanks everyone,
I am looking forward to having the right hip surgery and moving on with life. When I had the left hip done in July my back and hip pain disappeared now 5 months later I have pain in my knees, back and right hip. The left hip has not settled yet.

New Year, new hip! Soon you will be a member of the double hippie club! Hope the time flies for you.

New Year, new hip! Soon you will be a member of the double hippie club! Hope the time flies for you.
Hi Jaycey

Double hippie club sounds great, I think I will be a little more prepared this time but I don't expect this one to be easier. Going in with an open mind.

Hang in their @maggie23.
2018 will be your year.:cheers2:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads