Knee Infection* Is this normal?

RhodyRed

Country
United States United States
Had a TRK replacement Oct. 2018. Was recovering well when in late December knee started swelling and becoming a bit red on the left side.

Had aspiration in early January and two days later went into surgery to remove and replace some parts. Came home and for the next 7 weeks had a PICC line with IVs twice a day.

Infection did not clear up so next step is another aspiration and these results will be sent to three different labs to identify specific bacteria causing this. After it’s cleared up on to revision with antibiotic block, more IVs and eventually another knee replacement. I feel good about what I’ve been told and believe me checked with another surgeons.

Anything I might have missed before we proceed later this month?

@RhodyRed, welcome to BoneSmart. So sorry to hear of your issues. I’m tagging @Josephine, our nurse director, so that she can provide some advice. I’m also tagging @Jamie, one of our administrators who may be a resource if you are looking for feedback on your OS or other options for second / third opinions.

Good luck.

So sorry to hear about your infection, but it does happen sometimes. It sounds like you're doing a good job with your progress to getting this resolved. The most important thing is your choice of revision surgeon. If you'd like to tell me what surgeons you've seen, I can do some checking into them. Be sure and tag me so I see your post quickly. You didn't mention an infectious disease doctor...is there one on your case? That's usually a good idea for the surgeon to pull in someone with that specific expertise.

We've had quite a few members over the years with infections who get that revision and do just fine. If you'd like to read some of their stories, just click on the "Infection" prefix on any thread on the Knee Recovery index page and you'll get a listing of all the threads available on the forum dealing with knee infections.

Hello @RhodyRed - and :welome:

I'm sorry you've had problems with your knee replacement. Knee infections are a big nuisance, but the eventual outcome is likely to be good. It does take a while to get there, though.
We'll be here to offer support all the way.

If you don't already have one on your team, it's a very good idea to have an infectious disease doctor helping as well.

Please will you tell us the full date of your original knee replacement and which knee it is, so we can complete your signature for you? Thank you.:flwrysmile:

I went through my share of knee hell, but when I read stories like yours, I feel very lucky indeed. You sound as if you are on top of things, and you sound strong. Glad you came on here, we'll give you lots of support and you can keep us informed how you make out. All the best!

I am four months out from my 4th knee operation due to infection. My first operation was in Oct. ‘18, second in Jan. ‘19, spacer put in April ‘19 and finally a second new knee in Oct.’19.
No infection present in the last operation and everything is clear right now ( though I take medication as a suppressant for the bacteria that was present during all of this). Even though physical therapy has been completed and I have no pain, I feel my knee is thicker and heavier than before and isn’t as comfortable. Is this due to the fact that it’s been through a lot in a year’s time or should I consult my orthopedic surgeon to check it out? Obviously another surgery is way down on my list of things to do!

Hello @RhodyRed - and :welome: back again.

I've merged your newest thread with the one you started in March 2019. That's because
we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Your knee has been through a lot in the last couple of years and I think it's quite understandably that it's still be more swollen than the other knee. It's size may decrease, or it may always stay a little larger.

We do need some help from you about your surgery dates and information. Please will you tell us the full dates of your surgery each time, if you can remember - day, month and year. Which knee is it, by the way?

What I have gathered so far is this:
First knee replacement - October 2018
Aspiration - Infection discovered - January 2019
Stage 1 Revision - removal of replacement hardware - January 2019. Any other treatment then?
Did you have IV antibiotics and a PICC line?
Antibiotic spacer inserted - April 2019
Stage 2 revision - removal of antibiotic spacer and re-insertion of knee replacment hardware - October 2019

Please will you add to that, or correct anything I have wrong?
Thank you. :flwrysmile:

Hello Glad you have come through all of the infection problems. I have not had infections, which I should be grateful for but many revisions due to parts loosening. My last revision was last week and he said there was a lot of scar tissue that he removed which I believe is why my knee seemed bigger and heavier than my other. Ends up it was very unstable too as there were issues with my MCL. Surgery fixed this as well as replacing both components. Good luck!

Still on oral antibiotic (2per day) coming up on my fourth year of taking them.
Infectious disease doctor says he can’t guarantee that the infection
( mycrobacterium fortuitude ) won’t come back even if I decrease it to one per day.
Thoughts?

@RhodyRed, I have a friend whose knee became septic, but she fully recovered after the same regime you faced. All the best to you for this complication.

Hey Rhody! Another 10/2018 alumni! Same Rhody from back then?
Sorry to hear about your knee. And you had a revision?
Just wanted to say hello and I really hope your infection clears up.

Last edited:
Hi there, I had a different treatment for TKA infection. I had a DAIR procedure. Basically they power wash the inside of the knee with antibiotic solution and replace the spacer. I had six weeks of IV antibiotics through a PICC line followed by a year of oral antibiotics. I don't take antibiotics now except when I have some sort of lesion, e.g. biopsy on that same leg. Are you in the care of an infectious disease doc? The DAIR has a lower success rate than the two-stage procedure you had. I think four years of antibiotics is a stretch but I can understand your doctor(s) being leery because another infection would mean a fifth and possibly sixth surgery. Are you tolerating the antibiotics OK? The route to go with your questions would be a second opinion with an infectious disease doctor. As for myself, TKA infection rocked my world and I never want to go there again, but on the other hand I don't want to take a lot of drugs I don't need.

Seeing my infectious disease doctor tomorrow. Hope to set up a second opinion appointment with another ID Dr. this summer. Definitely don’t want another surgery. I was scheduled to have the other knee done but with the complications from the first I’m putting the notion aside.

I pray that the correct decisions are made tomorrow.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts