Bilateral THR Is this normal?

Ski Gal

Country
United States United States
Hello fellow hipsters! I had bilateral THR just over a month ago. I felt I was doing well but in the last 3-4 days feel like I have taken a step backward.

I mostly walk for exercise (around the block a couple of times a day), and I have the PT/exercises they send home with you. I just take Tylenol for pain, but take it every 4-6 hours. I ice the right side when I sit because sitting causes the pain I am having.

In the last few days, my thigh muscles have actually been more sore, but my biggest concern is I have a deep, burning pain that starts in my right glute area and goes down my leg just a ways. I can't get comfortable in any position it seems.

After I ice and have Tylenol it is tolerable. When I stand up, it takes quite a few steps before I feel "warmed-up" enough to walk, and sometimes I feel like I am just hobbling around vs walking more normal. It is only the right side that gives me fits, but my right side was the worst one and the Dr said I had a very shallow hip socket. I had been dealing with hip pain for 2 years before I finally had this surgery. I go back in 2 weeks for a check-up with xrays.

I will ask the Dr's opinion then, but was wondering if anyone out there has advice for me? Maybe I have just been overdoing? Or should I worry (I'm so good at that!) that this pain in unrelated to my hip and I have to figure out what it is? Maybe sciatica? Any thoughts or advice?

@Ski Gal Welcome to the other side! All sounds like post op pain. You are only one month out. All that exercise may be a bit much for those new hips. If you rest and ice does this ease?

Here's some reading for you. You might want to pay close attention to the activity progression and how long does healing take. Very early days for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello,
Welcome to Recovery!
I'm sorry you're struggling some. Hopefully rest, ice and a little TLC will get you back on track.
Wishing you a Happy One Month Anniversary and speedy relief. Stay in touch, we'd love to follow your progress.
@Ski Gal

Thanks for all the information! Yes, ice, elevating and Tylenol help. I had cut back on the Tylenol but I think I need to maintain an every 4-6 hour schedule with it. Tomorrow I am trying my first day back at work. It's mostly a desk job, and my employer is extremely understanding. They said I can try it and if I need to go home I can. Or I can try half days. Seems like if I switch between sitting (which is when I have the butt/hamstring pain) and standing it helps. I just thought I would be farther along at this point. I'm always the optimist - which isn't a BAD thing! I realize it is going to take me longer to recover and I'm ok with that. Guess I thought I was 20 years younger! I am definitely cutting myself some slack!

Return to work at only one month out is pretty aggressive. I hope you can ease into the work and take time to rest if you need it. Then home and no chores or errands - just rest. Energy drain is very real - don't fight it.

Perhaps you would tell/show me where your pain is using this chart

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Sure. I would say the pain is in the upper right corner of VR2B and/or upper left corner of VR1B. Sometimes it feels like my hamstring is burning but mostly it’s just the spot I mentioned on the graph. That’s a great graph by the way! I appreciate your help.

Pain in the butt is pretty common. I still get it once in a while on the op side. Yoga stretches take care of it for me but you're not post op long enough to do any tricks or stretches for it.

So your pain is here then?

Ski Gal.jpg

Without a shadow of doubt, that is Piriformis syndrome.
You need to read this article carefully to see how to deal with it.

Actually, it is more to the right. Pretty much on the line of R2B and R1B. I had this pain before surgery also, it just seems slightly intensified now. It is mainly when I am sitting, sometimes laying on my back. Tylenol and ice help. I’ll look at the article. Thank you.

Hi @Ski Gal
Just dropping by to say Hi :wave:and wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering if the pain you were dealing with last month has improved at all?
Leave us an update next time you're on the forum. We'd love to hear about your progress.
Enjoy the rest of the Summer! :SUNsmile:

Back at work after just a month oh wow. And you are not on narcs. Seems like you are doing well. The pain may be due to the activity and not enough time to heal. Glad you can ease in to your job though.I ,too, am a bilateral.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I'll bet you're back living life and enjoying it without pain.
Please leave an update next time you stop by, if you have the time. We'd love to read about your progress.
I hope you have a beautiful Autumn!
@Ski Gal

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562