Revision THR Is third time the charm?

Country
United States United States
Hi All,

I am just home from the hospital, it was unfortunately much more complicated than the surgeon anticipated. It was a 6.5 hour surgery, where the cup and stem were removed. A smaller one was used with a different mechanism to allow full motion of hip flexor and no impingements. The tendon was damaged and I also had a femur fracture. The surgeon explained everything in detail during rounds but I was pretty out of it. Last day I needed a blood transfusion, my BP and hemoglobin were very low.

They asked me if I wanted to stay a fifth day but I wanted to get into my own place and not be woken up every 90 minutes for vitals. My son is staying with me for two weeks, he is an absolute angel. That is all I have for now. It is nap time!

Hi @Onestepatatime - I've moved your first recovery post from your pre-op thread and started a new recovery thread for you.
If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Welcome to recovery again. I do hope that this time everything works out well.

Here's a copy of our recovery guidelines, to refresh your memory:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

People are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for YOU.“ Your doctor(s), physiotherapist(s) and BoneSmart are here to help, but YOU are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: @Onestepatatime
I missed wishing you well before your surgery... Haven't had as much time on the forum as of late.
I hope maybe this post finds you with your pain well managed and possibly home or soon to be.
Healing vibes coming your way.:friends:

Wow...6.5 hrs. That’s a long one! Thankfully it’s behind you and you’re onto the healing part. It’s good to hear you’re at home resting under the care of your loving son, hopefully your pain is well managed. Please keep us posted, so we can follow you to your happy ending supporting you along the way.
Happy Tuesday!
@Onestepatatime

Hi All,

So it is day 9, and I guess things are going ok. My leg all the way down to my foot is very swollen but the nurse or PT is not concerned. They said because of the femur forced fractures I will swell more than the next person. I did take two showers, so I feel a bit more human. Sleeping is not great, and trying to get out of bed and to the bathroom in the middle of the night is extremely challenging. It is a race against time and not always successful, ugh.
Then I end up going to the recliner chair and sleeping rest of the night there. Which may not help the swelling but I do not have assistance in getting back into bed in the middle of the night.

I am going to resume some work next week, since I work from home anyway. I will work out of my bed or recliner and bought one of those hospital table desks. Since this is my third surgery in five years I sadly know what to expect. This seems a bit worse because of the weight bearing restrictions. I sold my house in October and moved down to the NJ Shore, never thinking I would be having another hip replacement. But at least I get to see the ocean which is good for the soul!
:)
Ok all for now, hope everyone is doing ok.

6.5 hours wow. Your story and then others stories of people revisions really give me pause going into my first replacement. Good luck with your healing!

:hi: @Onestepatatime
Yes, slowly but surely for this recovery.:console2:
I stayed in my recliner most of the first two months or longer for much the same reason.
I actually found it easier to get comfortable and elevate and ice which will certainly help the swelling.:ice:
Healing mojo coming your way....

Does anyone know how long the recovery is with partial weight bearing and getting off crutches? I am seriously thinking of renting a motorized scooter so I can go along the boardwalk and sit by the ocean. MY apartment building has a side ramp entrance I would just need to navigate getting the door open. I think if I can figure out how to get outside the go down the 5 blocks to the ocean it would save my sanity. My issue is the fractured femur complicating the recovery time.

Amyonr have any thoughts?

Your surgeon is the best placed person to give you an idea of recovery time, I'm sure you'll ask him when you have a follow-up consultation and he's able to assess how well your fracture is healing. Run the idea of a mobility scooter to get to the ocean past him too. My surgeon was very honest about my recovery time, hope yours is too so that you can plan ahead. How frustrating for you to have the ocean so near, and yet so inaccessible at the moment!

I've had 2 PWB revision recoveries involving surgical fractures, they were very different (the fractures and the recoveries!). When you can sit comfortably in an upright chair, navigate that door of yours, get in and out of a car with relative ease (because I think you would require the same twisting skills to get on/off a mobility scooter?), and you'll not be breaking any restrictions, then I think it would be a great idea. Fresh air, sit by the ocean, watch the world go by, take a book … I've no idea of the cost or terms of renting a mobility scooter, but it sounds like a great idea to me. Even the thought of it could help preserve your sanity during these early days of recovery.

Best wishes.

@helenium - thank you for the reply. I will definitely review this Thursday in my post op visit. I will have to find your thread and read about your experiences and recoveries. I had my first meltdown of being overwhelmed today. I made an attempt to log into work, and review emails and get up to speed. I napped 1 hour and worked one hour. That was enough for today.
Then of course taking a shower, getting dressed and some other basic things is still exhausting. My son is staying with me and he will take me out tomorrow. He is truly THE BEST. And friends have been kind and take me to the ocean. But it has been nasty out and I haven't been outside for days.
:hairpulling:
I just still am so perplexed 18 months later I ended up with this mess. And how HSS could not figure out what was wrong and was going to just do a psoas release. Ok, all for now....

So I had my post op appointment, and did not go as well as I thought. I am another 4 weeks on crutches, and there is a part of the fracture that is not healing right. He mentioned lets keep an eye on it, and if it does not resolve then another surgery is needed. So no PT, nothing. Just another 4 weeks of a lot of nothing. My son left today, was here for 3 weeks. I am nervous to be alone. My girlfriend came over tonight, and organized my whole place. I have people lined up for the next week, but I need a month of laundry help, garbage, putting groceries away, etc.
I think I need to just take it day by day. And now it is bed time. :sleep::yawn:

Sounds like you have had a rough time. I’m sorry to hear that. Getting down by the ocean would probably be a huge mood booster for you. I live near the beach in California and I love going down to watch the waves. I’m just home from surgery for a few days, but it will be one of my first goals. Hang in there.

@Dmcfad2 thank you for your response. Yeah, my surgery and outcome is far from what I anticipated it would be. How are you doing, a few days post op? Hope you are managing ok! My brother is coming today, and will take me to hang out and watch the waves. Yay!

I’m sorry your recovery is not going as you hoped it would. I’m sure it was very disheartening to hear another surgery could be in your future. While you’ll miss your son, hopefully those you have enlisted to help you next week will help fill that void. Taking it one day at a time is wise since worrying about possible outcomes will only feed any anxiety you’re experiencing. I wish for you comfort, peace of mind and perfect healing. Please keep us posted.
@Onestepatatime

@Onestepatatime I am doing great for the most part. My pain is minimal and I can easily do my little exercises. But, after feeling constipated for the first two days, the last three I have had an upset stomach with some diarrhea, which I believe is the result of taking antibiotics. I only have to take them for a week, so I am just trying to push through until then. Every time I eat or drink something, I get a stomach ache. Have fun at the beach! I am near San Diego and it is going to be beautiful for the next few days!

Hi All,

So I am in my fourth week, and am feeling slight improvements. I can get in and out of bed without assistance, woo hoo. And I am finding I do not really need the Oxy much. Has anyone found that the Oxytocin messes with their sleep? Past few nights I cannot get into a deep sleep and have been exhausted. Am wondering if it is because of the Oxytocin at night.

I started working again and I under estimated how tired I would feel. It is not like I am going anywhere. I have a command center base camp set up from my recliner and bought a hospital swing table. I still cannot weight bear so it is very tiring navigating everything without full use of hands - like in the kitchen. I put a basket on my walker to cart stuff around. I have also been feeling beyond cabin fever because I cannot drive until at least May 13th, which is next surgeon visit.

My son is gone, and friends have been good about stopping in every other day or so, but it gets lonely and so tiring. My home PT person practiced with me going outside, and said she feels if I want, I can go outside to get air by myself. I live in an old apartment that is not handicap friendly. There is an elevator but then there is this heavy metal door you have to open as well. I am four long blocks from the ocean, and ALL I want to do is walk there myself. IDK. I am not sure if it is good or bad for the healing of the femur fracture.

Any advice is welcome! Ok, all for now, I feel a nap coming on. Can't wait to be independent and not so tired.

Happy healing to all!
Karen

Has anyone experienced a pull in their hamstring/glute area a month or so post surgery? I have a burning pain and feels sore. Not like I do anything physical to have pulled something. Been almost two weeks now.

Thursday is my 6 week follow up. Praying I get the clearance to drive. Also, has anyone gotten a mobility scooter? Recommendations?

Thanks.

@Josephine @Layla

Have you heard of bad burning pain developing behind your thigh? It is not hamstring, my PT ruled that out. Does not hurt to the touch and no swelling or bruising. It just feels wrong. I am worried the femur is not healing right and I will get bad news on Thursday. At six weeks it still hurts if I do any weight bearing. This pain started three weeks ago and is progressively worse. Just getting nervous it is bad news.

Hi @Onestepatatime
Sorry your last few posts must have been overlooked...
Our Nurse Emeritus, Josephine has retired from the forum.

I know this recovery has been tough with the complications...I would be anxious also...but glad you will be going to your surgeon this week.
It is hard to pin down what sore spots are normal and I am sure you are nervous about ongoing discomfort but these are still very early days from your revision.
Do you think trochanteric bursitis, which is a rather common plaint after hip surgery, might be a possibility?

Here is the article.

Regarding the mobility scooter, I would ask my doctor about the scooter if you feel you need to get out more but think you may be overdoing the walking at to this point.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LeonGirl
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom