TKR Is it safe?

karmakat

Country
United States United States
I have bone on bone arthritis in my knee and Dr. said TKR is what is needed. I'm nervous after reading articles about blood clots, infections, etc. As of now, I use a cane to get around better and have tried cortisone shots. They have helped somewhat but wear off after a couple of months. I guess I'm looking for some guidance as to go ahead with surgery or not. I'm 75 and used to walk a lot. Can't manage much anymore. Any encouragement?

Hi :welome: to BoneSmart.

If your knee is ruining your day to day life, and bone is on bone, then unfortunately it will only get worse, I'm now recovering from my second replacement and looking forward to a pain-free future.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice

Hi @karmakat. You've come to the right place for encouragement.

I can tell you that, for me, having the TKR of my right knee has been life-changing. I put off surgery for years, despite the fact that I couldn't walk without pain. When I reached the point that I needed a cane to get to the mailbox, I decided to take the leap.

I'm now about 18 weeks post-op and back to taking daily walks with my husband -- I'm up to 2 miles without stopping!

Hope that is helpful.

Hi @karmakat, I decided to get my knees replaced when I realized how much the pain was affecting my quality of life. Yes blood clots and infection are a risk but the medical people do everything they can to prevent complications. By the way, being sedentary increases your risk for blood clots.

Recovery from the surgery takes time, my doctor says a year. That said, it gradually gets better whereas the arthritis doesn't.

You need to be comfortable with your choice. Browse through the postings here. It has been very helpful for me.

Thank you for these helpful words. Yes, it is even hard to get to the mailbox!! And I have started using a cane, so I guess it is time. I miss walks with my granddaughter and will look forward to that I hope.

Clarire56 is so right. There are pre-op checks your doc will do to make sure you are a good surgical candidate. Your medical team will also give you things afterward to do that help avoid things like blood clots, including simple things like doing ankle pumps and walking around.
Keep in mind that though people come here when they have issues or concerns, most tkrs have pretty "boring" recoveries.

hi @karmakat! You've certainly come to the right place. When wondering if it was time, I considered how small my life had become. I declined lots of events as I considered "how far will I have to walk", "how long do I have to stand", "will I have to climb stairs", and "is there a place to sit". When I completed a similar score chart to the one that @Sara61 shared, my scores confirmed that the knee deterioration was significantly preventing me from enjoying life or even managing the house well.

It's your decision but I can tell you that I have had relatively smooth recoveries on both knees, much like most total knee replacement (TKR) patients. It took about 3 months from my 1st TKR to feel good about doing the surgery and another 3 months for me to be happy enough to realize I'd do the other knee. I'm already happy that I did the 2nd knee since I really see (as I type through tears) a future where my knees are pain-free. There are certainly risks and, fortunately, Bonesmart has support for people who encounter the risks, too. Here, you can talk through your concerns with people who have been through the surgery and recovery. I wish you the best, whatever you decide.

Finally got my courage up and scheduled surgery for July 7 on my left knee for a TKR. I've been given a binder with lots of info and exercises to do. In one section it lists all the things to do prior to morning surgery. It includes "enema"!! What? Does that mean a laxative the night before or an old-fashioned enema which I have never done. I can ask the nurse but was wondering what others have done about this suggestion. ???

@karmakat Thank you for your surgery date.

I moved most of your recent post out of the surgery team thread as we like to keep that thread for dates only, and keep our discussions in a personal thread like this one.

I have never heard of an enema being required. Maybe it’s just a general protocol given to every patient? I would speak to your surgeon‘s office and ask how mandatory it is.

Best wishes going forward as you prepare for surgery!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks