Is Anyone Getting Both Hips Done At Once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi T-Bone,
How was the recovery? Did you come straight home??
Thanks,
Cfourhorses

Both of my hips got "done" last Monday. I think the key to simultaneous bilaterals is the anterior approach using Dr. Matta's techniques and equipment. www.newhipnews.com is a comphrehensive list (I beleive) of the surgeons who can do this.

I did not need any blood transfusions. I don't know how long the surgery was (I was out the whole time) but wheeling into the operating room, the surgeon said it would be three hours. I don't think it was much longer than that. I do not currently have any pain in my hips, although I am having another minor problem (maybe a bruised tailbone or sacroiliac joint inflamation) and some swelling. I plan to leave the hospital on day 4 or 5. My surgeon did say that simultaneous bilater THR was recommended only for those in general excellent health. However, I will tell you that I am no skinny-minny. The wii says I am obese and even by generous standards I am 15 percent overweight (BMI of about 30). I am absolutely delighted with the opportunity to have the hips both dealt with in a single day and so far I am only seeing an upside.

best of luck to you in whatever you decide.

I don't know what is best for you but I hope this information is helpful.

Hi Cfour--yes, I came straight home. Surgery was on a Wednesday morning and my wife drove me home on Friday afternoon. It was easy but I should caution you that I had a very good recovery and results differ. I even stopped for dinner on the way home. I did consider spending the weekend in a rehab center, but I felt good enough to go home. My recovery was really quick. And, of course, like most folks who feel good and who are frustrated, aging former athletes, I overdid it a few times. But I was back at work at day 7 or so post op, in the gym at day 13 post op, etc. But the real, full recovery and healing takes about 6 months no matter what you do.
And I'd have to agree with Calico that the anterior approach is v. good and helped for me. I had no restrictions at all and the anterior approach is a shorter procedure, I think, than posterior. I am not sure, but I think this helps.

the anterior approach is a shorter procedure, I think, than posterior.
It all depends upon the surgeon. Some are just naturally fast, others aren't.

Calico, It sounds like your surgery went well. Are you getting around some? I would like to have had 2 hips done at one time (I've had a year of adjusting with the sequence of two two that I had last year). I had the posterior variety.
I'm impressed with your taking on the challenge-it has to be one. -hope your recovery goes smoothly. Jim :thmb:

TBONE, Boy, I'm impressed with your comeback! Do you lick stamps for a living? -back to work and the gym in two weeks!! :wahey:When I rode home (with one THR), I just measured all the bumps coming my way , and I only eat after I was still and extremely padded. Cycling, swimming and the gym came at about two months. I'm having an extensive recovery with the second THR and wish I could have packaged them together (I had the anterior approach).
Again, I am impressed and glad for you. Jim :thmb:

Good morning, one week ago today bilateral MIS hip replacements. My job is being wife and mom to five children. No way am I back at work on this day seven! I am still requiring more support than I can give. I am alert and able to bark out orders (wash your band uniform! don't forget your science project!) but I am not anywhere near being able to actually work.

My current pain is almost entirely caused by thigh muscle cramps and achilles tendon tenderness. My incisions and hip do not hurt per se, and the crippling back pain I had previous to the surgery are completely gone. That said, I am still clinging to the walker for all I am worth and taking oxycodone, so driving, shopping, going for outside walks are at least a couple of weeks off.

I really cannot see that I am worse off recovery wise that I would have been if I had only one hip operated on. If I had but one hip operated on, my so called "good leg" would have been in worse shape than the operated leg. I would not have been able to stand up straight as long as I still had one diseased joint.

I am completely gratedful that there is a surgeon in my area, on my insurance plan, who is well practiced at bilaterals. I note that even his partners seem reluctant to do bilateral hips, so I conclude that there is considerable variability in the recommendations for this surgery. A major consideration is the condition of the two hips. Mine were so closely the same in their degree of osteoarthritis that deciding which one to do first would have been basically a flip of the coin if I had not had bilats.

Thank you for the encouragement and support, Jimbo and all!

Margaret:catkiss:
BTHR March 15, 2010
MIS anterior surgery see www.newhipnews.com

Margaret, I'm so glad to hear you are doing okay following your BTHR. You ARE doing well at only one week....even to be just "barking orders." You are going to see dramatic changes in your ability to move around in the coming weeks. Take the time you need....it's so important. This is a great opportunity for your family to learn to do things independently and to realize how much to do for them.

Margaret,
Sounds like you are doing very well, I'm very glad for you. I'm sure it was a good choice to go bilateral as you had a surgeon that was available to do it. I'm sure in the long run your recovery will be shorter than doing them separately. I remember when they came in right before surgery to initial which hip to do, thinking they were both so bad it really didn't matter!!

Wow Margaret, I admire you!:dogkiss:
I see my OS on the 31st & will ask about bilateral. Both my hips are just as trashed as the other...end stage..I really have doubts I will be able to set up & AFFORD the help I will need to recover any time soon to do 1 at a time...keep us posted.
Did you go to a nursing home after the hospital?
Cfourhorses

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads