TKR Irish471's Recovery Thread

@Irish471 Great to hear you are doing well! :yes: Are you still having any issues with the knee just being achy at times? I'm still having some issues with that particularly during my commute, ugh :sad:. What used to be a 50 minute ride now takes an hour 20 to 30 due to traffic. The down side of living in the valley and commuting to the Bay Area.

Hi @FCBayern , oh yes... I can relate. Driving for a long time in traffic makes the knee very achy. I can only tolerate driving for about an hour at a time, if that. It’s funny, the PT yesterday asked all kinds of questions I had no idea how to answer because they pertained to things I don’t really do or pay attention to (standing and how long I could tolerate it, how long I can balance on my operated leg, etc). I just do the daily living and working activities. Lol! If he had asked me about driving, I could have answered that question with no problem :heehee:

Very happy for you! I’m waiting for my corner, I’m still on the roller coaster ride, maybe it will hit a sharp turn soon!! Lol. Keep up the great progress reports, it gives lots of people hope including myself!

Help! I am freaking out about something which may or may not be a big deal. My daughter is on vacation and left us in charge of taking care of her chinchilla. The thing is psychotic!!! It’s like a flying rat :scaredycat:So, I went to put something into her cage and I freaked out and went to close the cage as fast as I could and I ended up scraping and pinching my arm. It didn’t bleed but it did break the skin. I cleaned it with soap, then alcohol, then put neosporin on it. I am wondering if I should take a dose of antibiotics just as a precaution?

I had no idea these things would be a problem, it's going to be interesting to see the responses.

I'd call my surgeon and ask him. There should be someone on call. I'd also call my GP's office to find out if my tetanus shot is up to date. Again, there's usually someone on call.

It’s always something I swear. I agree, call your OS, and see if your shots are up to date, also has your daughter taken the “flying rat” to a vet?? They need shots also. I’d call a vet too

Well, the last time I had a tetanus shot was when I was 2 years old and it was discovered I was severely allergic to it. So there’s a problem there, too. I doubt the flying rat has been to the vet since she brought it home to live at her dad’s house. At least the animal didn’t bite me. It was a scratch caused by the cage itself, but still, it comes into contact with the paws of the flying rat. I will see if I can get ahold of someone.

Last edited:
Okay, called and spoke to a nurse. She said it was good I washed it and applied alcohol and antibiotic creams within 15 minutes of the injury. Told me to keep it covered with a bandage and change it daily or anytime it gets wet. She said to follow-up with my primary care doc on Monday. And she was a little concerned about the lack of a current tetanus shot. Advised me not to take the antibiotic right now. And with that, I am going to call it a night and catch some :sleep: Thanks, everyone!

I had a similar crisis one week post op. I was trimming the bandage where it was curling up and I cut my leg. Needless to say the scissors weren't exactly sanitary. The OS's office suggested I call my GP and I was able to get him on the phone. He convinced me it wasn't a tetanus issue, but I'll leave it that. He has an odd sense of humor.

Don't you just hate it when you're doing everything right, but something like this pops up out of the blue to rock the boat? I'm glad you were able to get a hold of the Drs office though.

@Rockgirl4 , yes! I didn’t want to care for it in the first place but she always manages to convince us. My husband is out of town this weekend but when he comes back, he will take over. Until then. I will just push food through the bars of the cage :heehee:

@Benay , it’s hard to know whether these things are an issue or not. From what I’ve read, you’re always at a risk of infection, even years later. I think it’s the major stuff like urinary tract infections and stuff like that that’s really concerning. But I’ve also read that you have to be really careful about stuff like this, too. We’re supposed to tend to cuts and stuff right away. Never wait. Wash and disinfect the skin any time you have an injury, especially if it’s close to the knee. @robert johnson , I would have freaked out with what happened to you, too! Glad it was all okay!

Thank you, @winemama and robert for suggesting I call the doc :) Things have been going really well with the knee. I definitely didn’t need this worrisome incident:oyvey:

@Josephine , I would really like to hear your medical opinion about how concerned one should be when it comes to injuries. Is it over reacting to think this could cause an infection issue with the knee? Just hearing the word infection sends chills up my spine !:bolt:

I definitely freaked out. I snipped a 3/8ths inch line, blood pouring out, one and a half inches from my one week old TKR incision with those really sharp foldable bathroom scissors you find laying around in a bathroom drawer for years on end. And it was Saturday (naturally).

Luckily for me my actual GP was the one on call. As my family used to say: Panic averted!:sos:

Good that you talked to the nurse and will follow up with the doc on Monday. He/she will likely just reassure you it is ok, but I tend to prefer to check something out with the doc rather than worry about it. The doc will probably suggest you have a tetanus shot just on general principle since I believe we're supposed to get those updated every 10 years.

She said it was good I washed it and applied alcohol and antibiotic creams within 15 minutes of the injury. Told me to keep it covered with a bandage and change it daily or anytime it gets wet.
Don't get over-exercised about these small injuries/wounds. Even if it's an animal bit or scratch. The best and only thing to do is to put a drop of liquid soap on it (even washing up liquid!) and scrub it under a running tap. Scrub it until it bleeds a bit. Then pat it dry with a bit of paper kitchen towel. If it's not bleeding, leave it be, if it is, apply an appropriately sized Bandaid for a few hours.
Advised me not to take the antibiotic right now.
One thing you need not do it apply any ointments, lotions or creams, particularly not antibiotic creams. This is why we have such a problem with infection and antibiotic resistant bugs, because people keep exposing the bugs (if there are any) with small amounts of the antibiotics. And generally, a good scrub with soap and water will be just as good at decontamination anyway.

I'm sure many of you will have heard of 'cat bite fever' which is a real risk when cat's teeth or claws break the skin deeply. I've had many of these in my time and always used the above method of cleaning them and never had any form of infection or anything. But the trick is to do it as quickly as you can get to the sink.

@Josephine , thank you so much!!! I feel so much better having read your advice. I didn’t realize that about antibiotic cream. Very good to know! The cage scratches look much better today but I have a nasty bruise. Lesson learned...wear long sleeves :nah:
Thanks again!!! :SUNsmile::flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Celebrating a small victory today :egypdance:
This morning, I went to leave the house and did one of those accidental stair maneuvers forgetting that I'm not quite ready to go down the stairs normally. Or so I thought. I told my PT about it and the knee was moving really good today so we went over to the stairs to give it a try.:happydance: Once I wrapped my mind around it, I was able to go down the entire staircase. 4 consecutive steps. I think it's all in my head that I shouldn't attempt some things just yet. I kept thinking, you know, until I get brave and try, my improvement is going to stall. That's how I have felt for a while now. The knee feels good, clicks less, but I am totally stuck on ROM. Hopefully given another week or two, I will add 'or so I thought' to that statement, too!:loveshwr:

Celebrating a small victory today :egypdance:
This morning, I went to leave the house and did one of those accidental stair maneuvers forgetting that I'm not quite ready to go down the stairs normally. Or so I thought. I told my PT about it and the knee was moving really good today so we went over to the stairs to give it a try.:happydance: Once I wrapped my mind around it, I was able to go down the entire staircase. 4 consecutive steps. I think it's all in my head that I shouldn't attempt some things just yet. I kept thinking, you know, until I get brave and try, my improvement is going to stall. That's how I have felt for a while now. The knee feels good, clicks less, but I am totally stuck on ROM. Hopefully given another week or two, I will add 'or so I thought' to that statement, too!:loveshwr:

Stairs, the great nemesis !! Something we all take for granted when we have good knees and not had surgery. I am staying at my Daughters and the house is quite high, many steps. Even before my surgery I was having trouble with stairs so it was with great apprehension I tried it for the first time.

I was surprised I made it up ok, like a normal person but in slowwww motion. Could not believe how much energy it drained ! Had some food and it was time to go back down. I stood at the top and it seemed so high ! I descended, one step and one foot at a time. Not so easy but I made it.

In the last couple of weeks I am moving up and down a lot easier and can do it both ways normally, again a little slow, but progress none the least. :)

Hope you have more victories in the time ahead.

So happy for you! It’s a great feeling when we reach these milestones, isn’t it? I’m still working on stairs, but feeling like I'm making progress. Wishing you well on this healing journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom