iovera Prior to Knee Surgery

Cementless

graduate
Country
United States United States
Have any of you had iovera prior to knee surgery?

The iovera treatment uses the body's natural response to cold to block the signaling portion of a peripheral nerve, temporarily reducing pain during the critical weeks following surgery.

Provides long-lasing, immediate pain relief.

Non-narcotic, non-systemic outpatient procedure

Patients request less narcotics, experience less stiffness 6 and 12 weeks after surgery and have decreased knee pain and improved symptoms for up to 150 days in 77% of the study population.

Patients request less narcotics, experience less stiffness 6 and 12 weeks after surgery and have decreased knee pain and improved symptoms for up to 150 days in 77% of the study population.

@Cementless, please will you supply a link to the study you are talking about? We don't allow comments like that unless they are supported by a reference to accredited research.

Icing the knee after surgery has a similar effect to lovera, with the added benefit that your knee is still able to feel pain. While everyone thinks of pain as a negative thing, it is necessary for your knee to be able to feel pain.
Increased pain post-op is a warning sign that you are doing more than your knee is ready to handle, and that you may be increasing the inflammation of its soft tissues. Without that warning, you could do damage to your knee or, at the least, increase its recovery time.

Without that warning, you could do damage to your knee or, at the least, increase its recovery time.
We have all joined the Over Did It Club because we were feeling a bit better for the moment and did more than our knee was ready for. By feeling pain, we stop sooner than we would if we didn’t feel the pain.

Not feeling pain also allows therapists to do more to us or with us than we should for the amount of weeks post op we are.

I never thought of it this way before. Yes, we would all love to have a very low pain level. But if we did, how many of us would really rest like we should so our poor, traumatized knee could heal.

It does not eliminate all pain just reduces it, so says my OS that did my LTKR 10/19/16. This is something new he recommends for pts. that have trouble taking pain medication. I am curious if anyone on this forum has done it?

Please tell me the name of your surgeon who is using this process and we may do some looking into it. I've not heard anyone mention it here on the forum, but it's possible that someone may have experience with it.

@Jamie, my orthopedic surgeon's name is Dr. Gregory W. Stocks. He is with the Fondren Orthopedic Group, L.L.P. in Houston, Texas. He talked about this new procedure and has pamphlets in his office. I am not sure he actually does the procedure or sends his patients to someone that does it. I sent an email to his office to let them know BoneSmart will be contacting him regarding ioveraO. I can PM you his medical secretary's email if you would like?

Thanks for the surgeon's name. I cannot guarantee you that someone will contact him (my post indicated we "may do some looking into it"), so you might have been a bit premature to tell his office that someone from BoneSmart is going to get in touch with them. My intention was to pass information on to our CEO who does sometimes talk with surgeons about various pre- and post-op treatments they use. Thanks again.

@Jamie, I did communicate with my orthopedic surgeon and the PA responded right away with this information:

"Our radiologist performs that procedure in the radiology department. Dr. Stocks doesn’t do the Iovera procedure.
I would guess that procedure has been available for about 6 months or so.
Since we haven’t been doing these for too long we haven’t seen a lot of feedback. Some patients say its works really good and others not as much."

Thanks for that information as well.

@Cementless
Did you have this done? I’m with Fondren as well (different surgeon whose skills I really respect) and am scheduled to have iovera on Wed with RTKR the following Wed. (5 weeks after LTKR).

@thegoose2, no I did not have iovera. The PA for Dr. Stocks said half the times it works. I'm am (was) a little skeptical about the procedure. Which OS are you seeing at Fondren. I went to a completely different group for my revision after Dr. Stocks botched my original LTKR!

Had the iovera treatment on Wed. It was slightly painful in one spot but otherwise a nonevent. A little bruising afterwards but no other noticeable reaction. REALLY hoping it makes a difference in pain and swelling and since I did not have it with the left knee I should be able to tell.
My surgeon is Dr. Ihekweazu. He is one of their newer doctors I think and so far I am very happy with him and hear only good things about him. Hate having to drive downtown though.
Surgery on Wed. Dreading starting all over...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie