TKR Intro

Zippy107

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just wanted to say 'hello'! 7 weeks post surgery and have just got discharged to drive and get on with life! Yay! Coping okay, still have sleepless nights but not so many. Walked without crutch in house after 5 days. Using stick outside on uneven ground/if tired. Sometimes feel knee is tight and thick (as if still bandaged) but then rest of time feels great. No pain!!! Presuming all part of recovery. Flat out extension, 90-110 deg(ish) bend. Getting easier to move, and more bend in the knee. Haven't tried getting into my car yet...low slung, so might be awkward at first. Setting sights on getting my left knee done now...not sure when in current Covid restrictions, but keeping fingers crossed.
Nice to be here and look forward to learning more from other members and staff. Thank you!

@Zippy107 Welcome to BoneSmart! If you can give me the exact date of your surgery I will create a signature for you.

Sounds like you are right on track with this recovery. Seven weeks out is still early days. Slow and steady is the best approach to this process.

Even though you are well on your way - I'll leave our recovery guidelines for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@Jaycey, thank you for your welcome, advice and the links!

I had my surgery on 9th September 2020, and left hospital on 11th September 2020.

I wish I'd known about item 3 before I went for my first o/p physio...the woman's attitude was no pain, no gain as she pushed my knee back towards the chair I was on. I did yell out at the time. I haven't been as hard on myself! Later in the day I wondered if some harm had come to my knee but the next day (after icing through day and painkillers before bed) I was good to go so I didn't call the hospital.

Off to check the links out! Thanks again!!

I wish I'd known about item 3 before I went for my first o/p physio.
Don't ever let anyone force your knee. It is totally counterproductive. Slow and steady works every time. Here's another article you might find useful Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

I'll get your signature set up and get you added to the September Recovery group.

Thank you, @Jaycey. I trusted that what the physios were doing was 'normal' for my recovery. In hospital they showed me what they wanted me to do, but no hands-on, so the decision was mine how far to go before discomfort made me stop. The o/p physio was completely different but again as I believed what was happening was 'normal' for my recovery I went with it. As the forced bend happened only the once I didn't question the move after, but I wish I had been on this forum before then! At least I know for the next time!

(Funnily enough I did refuse consent for a medication that had not been broached with me and involved stomach injections! I was told if I didn't have them I might die (from a clot), but as I'd been moving well from around two hours post surgery, and I could have oral medication for the same purpose I stuck to my guns.)

Cheers!

I, too, would have refused the Lovenox (stomach injection) if I could have. But since I couldn’t take the Aspirin that my OS usually orders, due to a previous bleeding ulcer, I was stuck with the shots. They weren’t too bad initially but as I got closer to the end of the 30 day course, it wasn’t fun. Be glad you had an alternative.

Last edited:
Hi Zippy107,
Sounds like you are doing well with your recovery and were able to stick up for yourself when offered treatments you did not need.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom