Intro / Pre surgery list

ssbluewolf

Country
United States United States
Hello, I will be having a right THR on July 8 2019 and I'm a nervous wreck! I thought I would have more time, most people seem to have a 'waiting period'; I saw my surgeon just 2 weeks ago. Don't get me wrong, I'm ready for this pain to be gone!

Also, are there any suggestions for things I should have or need at home for when I come home from the hospital that will help with recovery?

Note: I am also "morbidly obese" (I hate that word!), so its even harder on my hip and knees.

Many Blessings

Hi, @ssbluewolf....welcome to BoneSmart. Here are some articles from our BoneSmart Library that may help you with things to do before your surgery. Others will chime in as well with tips. We have a great community of folks here that are eager to help you get through your surgery and recovery.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

I'm always on the lookout for surgeons who will work with high BMI patients. You're definitely not alone with this problem and I'm glad you found a doctor. Would you mind sharing his name and city please? I'll add him to my list. And, if I could ask, can you tell me what your BMI is? That information helps me when I need to recommend a surgeon to someone. You can either do this on this thread or in a Personal Message (PM). The only issue with a PM is that you must have at least 5 points on the forum before you can write one.

I saw my surgeon just 2 weeks ago.
You lucky thing! I was diagnosed with a loose implant before Christmas and won't get a date until sometime in October!
I am also "morbidly obese" (I hate that word!), so its even harder on my hip and knees.
Me too! But luckily I also have a surgeon who just refuses to take this into account. Sweet man!

Morning @ssbluewolf.. both my surgeon's staff and hospital pre admission went over alot of what you need as far cane, walker along with does and don't. You are lucky to have surgery so soon. Some of us have to wait due to surgeon's schedule and then there's us that have to wait to get finances set so we can get through recovery. You take care and stay with us here.

@ssbluewolf Welcome to BoneSmart! Actually it is much better to have less time to wait. The imagination can run wild with a long wait. Focus on getting everything at home in place for your recovery. That list of recovery aids is very useful. You may not need everything but I found at least 2 grabbers (3 if you live in a 2 story house) were helpful.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are with you through this journey!

Goldilocks, where are you when we need you? :) Surgery wait times are often too long, yours is so short, but if there’s “just right,” I haven’t heard about it yet!

In fact, these lovely folks here at BoneSmart who have done this before reassure me that waiting is the hardest part. Maybe it’s a blessing in disguise that you will be on the healing side so very soon :) .

Best wishes to you!

Good morning all,
Thank you all so much for your kind words and guidance! I guess my major stressor was not having the support system in place that I needed, but finding this group has already made a positive impact!
Im making my list of questions and items I think I might need to take to my dr appt / preadmit on July 2 now.
Many Blessings!

Welcome to this wonderful group. Check out the list and get things now. If you are having pain and difficulty doing things, amazon delivers and it can be a blessing when it is painful to go around. You did not say if you have support at home. Either way it might be handy to stock up on some staples for the house and some dinners in freezer (home made or store bought). Also, in case of constipation, get some stool softeners. Crackers if you do not feel like eating but have to take meds - having something in your stomach helps - I used unsalted saltines just because they are bland. Instant oatmeal which was not my favorite but it was easy to get down for morning pills and healthy.

To a degree I am envious of you for such a quick scheduling. I am scheduled for November and cannot wait for time to hurry. There is never an optimum time but at least you will be on the recovery side soon moving forward instead of circling the airport.

Read some of the material provided and consider your home/life and come back and ask questions. I think there are enough people here who will have suggestions for most situations.

Best of luck while you're waiting for your surgery in a few days, @ssbluewolf. Have confidence in yourself and your surgical team. Pre-surgical stress is difficult always, so although it feels as if things are rolling along too fast, please understand that it's just less time for you to be anxious and worried. Bonesmart is great--lots of great people and tons of good information. Hang in there, you're going to love the results from surgery.

Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. The support here is the best. If anyone understands your anxiety, we do.

Stop back often with questions / concerns and we'll do our best to answer them, encouraging and supporting you along the way. Be happy you don't have long to wait, for most it's the worst part. You're going to love the result this surgery delivers. I'm excited for you. :happydance:
Have a happy Sunday!:wave:
@ssbluewolf

@ssbluewolf welcome as everyone has already said, glad you found this site as it is so helpful and everyone is so supportive! Well, looks like we are hippie buddies, having my right hip done on the 8th too! We'll get through this together and don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions or concerns. There's always someone up and about here so stop by any time!
:console2:

Hi, and welcome!!
Good luck with your surgery.
Even though I don't have a date yet, and it's way in my future. Here are some of the things I purchased to make life easier after surgery.
Gel ice packs large enough for hip--2 to rotate on amazon.
A tray for my walker. A shower chair. Raised toilet seat. A grabber for when you drop things. An electric recliner.
Some house dresses for the first week. 8" bed risers for my futon, it's too low. A cane. They also sell dressing sticks on amazon, but I didn't get that set, yet...not sure if I will need it or not. The grabber may work for that. A lot of people say get two grabbers for if and when you drop one.

Hope that helps. Good luck and looking forward to hearing about your recovery. I still am only lurking the boards. I have to accumulate some more time from work to schedule my own surgery. Thank goodness I still have some good hip days along with the bad so it's not too bad right now...but, still limiting.

@Elf1 Yeah I i have a hippie buddy :) I've been making my list today of things I need. Everyone has been so helpful here, I love it!
I had been using a cane for over a year and when I first seen my orthopedic dr he immediately ordered me a walker. I have to admit I am stubborn and don't use it like I should; because I am a very independent person and it makes me feel helpless at times. I have become more 'homebound' over the last couple of months due to the pain while driving and trying to get out of my car; which is also taking my 'independance away'.
I don't have a lot of family support and I do not want to lean too much on my children, who are just now getting to 'live' their lives. So, I'm having to rely on "me" for as much as I can, now and while in recovery. I do have my baby girl a 1yr old shih tzu, Sophie; who will be spending time with my best friend for a bit while I have surgery (she says as long as needed, but I can't be away from her long! lol).
@Mersada Thank you! I have been looking at Amazon today and I most definitely need the raised toilet seat and electric recliner. I was told to wait because my insurance may pay for some of these, per my doctor's orders; fingers crossed!
Many Blessings!

You stated you were morbidly obese - that is a term that is used so much but does not always reflect capability. I had a bmi of 43 or 44 when I had my knees and hip done which is considered morbidly obese but had no issues with my replacements or my surgeon who was wonderful and my recoveries were uneventful.

@leejaa that is so good to hear! I've been worried because thats all my family physician seemed to concentrated on before finally getting me to an orthopedic dr. My Orthopedic surgeon advised me that the extra weight may take a little longer to heal and recover; but not impossible. I was hoping to try to lose some weight before surgery (unable to exercise, it was limited) then when my surgery date was set so fast, that chance got blown out of the water. I did give up my soda(Dr Pepper, was ,y go to) that has been rough, but I know I need to make changes for my health; One step at a time.
Many Blessings!

Hi ssbluewolf: Lucky you to get such a quick surgery date! I go the week after you on 7/15 so I am also in the process of gathering my durable medical equipment together.

When I went to my hospital joint boot camp a couple of weeks ago it was highly suggested by the occupational therapist that I purchase a "hip kit" which includes grabbers, a sock aid, a long-handled bath sponge, a leg lifter and a shoe horn. You can get those on Amazon and they are approximately $35-$42. My hospital also suggested that I purchase a riser cushion, like the one used in wheelchairs, so you have more height when sitting down. The cushion cost around $18 and I got a 4" high one. Still waiting for that to come in from Amazon.

Another thing you can do that was suggested to me by my pre-admission nurse at the hospital, my PCP and posters on this board is apply to your DMV/RMV for a temporary disability parking permit/placard. I applied for mine on Monday 6/24 after my PCP signed the application, mailed the application on 6/24 and received my placard on Saturday 6/28. I was shocked by how quickly I received it-I live in MA and the Boston RMV is not known for being speedy. Anyway, my temporary placard is good for six months. Even if you can't drive, you can always bring the permit with you and whoever is driving you around can use it. It will come in handy for post-op appointments, especially if parking is at a premium.

Best of luck to you with your surgery and please keep us posted!

@Hipster64 MA is alot faster than ME.. The ortho mailed my application to me and I received it three days after asking( they had apologized in advance that their mail system was slow). I mailed it then to Augusta last Monday.. Crickets so far. I really could use it now as people tend to park too close to me and as I need the door wide open there have been times I could not get back inside the car.
Has anyone needed to buy a cushion for the car as the front of the seat is higher than the back?

mainegirl1, I am hoping the riser cushion that I ordered through Amazon will fit inside my car. Of course it's not due to come here until the day of my surgery, 7/15, so I am hoping my husband will bring it with him when he picks me up from the hospital.

My exercise pedaler arrived today, so there's that!

My husband is going to bring one of our extra pillows from our couch when he comes to pick me up. Matter of fact it's already in the back seat of the car from our trip to the hospital last week. :snork:

@ssbluewolf. I joined Weight Watchers digital only so no going to meetings for me on 5/28/19 as a way to get my weight down. It is something I have wanted to do plus I figure getting my fourth joint replaced I might want them to last a while and the extra weight is not ideal. I cannot do any exercises unless you count some arm curls which I have not been doing much but just following their program I have lost 10.7# so far. I have done WW before and lost some weight years ago but after that their plans did not click for me and my life. I find their newest plan is very workable and stresses healthy eating and healthy choices. So far it is working for me without too much pain and healthy eating will help my latest hip heal. Just a suggestion if you want to check it out on their web site and other opinions on line. The digital only version is the cheapest and if you have a smartphone the app is usable on that besides my laptop.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts