TKR Intro, before the surgery

badkneesnyc

Country
United States United States
I have a second appointment in 2 weeks with the doctor who was rec for my TKR surgery. The apt I would plan to recover in is up 2 flights of steps. I have my partner to do groceries and meals, very grateful, but I'm thinking about going to PT and having to go up and down the stairs for that. Is it realistic to think I can manage with two flights? I'm 58, heavy but in decent shape except for my knees with no other medical issues to date (slightly elevated bp). I have been losing weight with WW.

The doctor has told me it's same day release. I've read here that the hospital will make sure I can do stairs before I go, but just wanted some opinions on the 2 flights. (Boy, this process is nerve-racking).

Also I've started doing some home pre-hab, I've already gone through PT for the knees a couple of times. And I've been going to the gym on the corner to do recumbent bike and upper body strength work once a week.

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, your medical team will make sure you can navigate steps, but 2 flights of stairs will be challenging in the early weeks. I suggest you hold off on going to out patient PT for several weeks at least, and give yourself some time to recover.

If you are not able to get a PT to come to your home, there are things you can do on your own. And, actually, formal PT in the early weeks (or ever) is not essential. All you need to do are some gentle bends, and short walks around your home, to give your knee mobility. We have had members who did not go to formal PT at all and have great results.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Whew, thank you. I'm very used to doing PT at home.

I got home after 8 days and would climb 2 flights just once a day, 12 and 6 steps respectively. It hurt but was bearable, and took ages. But I could do it. You will have a strong leg to lead with, so I suggest just taking your time and it won't be a problem.

You don't need PT, you can do home exercises. It is TIME that primarily heals knees.

That diary is so good. I have the choice to do bilateral, but I think I will go with unilateral.

Consult your surgeon. I am 100% for bilateral - just one recovery. If you leave (say) 3 months for no.2, it's 12 weeks added on.

I definitely will consider the bilateral and talk to the doctor

How about staying downstairs for the first week if you can that first week was the hardest for me, then it gets better every day I was scared too I am heavy but in good shape except for knees l did my right one 4/28/22 doing great will do left one in October good luck you will be fine.

The first couple of weeks are pretty hard, and I had 100% support from my wife.

I thought it a price worth paying, as I knew I'd be living in constant total fear of a 2nd surgery;

How about staying downstairs for the first week if you can that first week was the hardest for me, then it gets better every day I was scared too I am heavy but in good shape except for knees l did my right one 4/28/22 doing great will do left one in October good luck you will be fine.
The first floor is not our apartment, and the second floor apartment we have has too much stuff in it for me to maneuver and do exercises. I do have a friend who would let me stay with her in an elevator building, but it's a studio and I don't really want to inconvenience her like that. So glad to hear your right one is doing great!

The first couple of weeks are pretty hard, and I had 100% support from my wife.

I thought it a price worth paying, as I knew I'd be living in constant total fear of a 2nd surgery;
I hear you about the fear of a second surgery. For me I think it would be important to have more ability to do things for myself faster. My partner's brother is seriously ill right now (about as serious as it gets) and I think it would be a good idea for me to not put too much of a caretaker load on him.

Obviously it's your decision, and I am very gung-ho for BTKR! It surely doesn't suit everyone. Your surgeon is the best to ask for advice, of course.

Welcome to Bonesmart! I live in a split level house with nothing but stairs and no where to sleep or go to BR except by going up a flight of stairs. I was able to navigate the stairs using my good leg and the rails and a cane. I ended up only using my walker the first couple of weeks in the main area of the house so I didnt have to haul it up and down the stairs as well. It is doable, just have to be careful. Work on strengthening the non surgical leg and your core prior to surgery as well as your arms if you can to help support your mobility efforts.

Welcome to Bonesmart! I live in a split level house with nothing but stairs and no where to sleep or go to BR except by going up a flight of stairs. I was able to navigate the stairs using my good leg and the rails and a cane. I ended up only using my walker the first couple of weeks in the main area of the house so I didnt have to haul it up and down the stairs as well. It is doable, just have to be careful. Work on strengthening the non surgical leg and your core prior to surgery as well as your arms if you can to help support your mobility efforts.
Really a relief to hear it. Thank you. I have been working on upper body strength with resistance machines, and prehab exercises for the past week. Don't have the date yet. I'm seriously considering bilateral, but need to look into it more and talk to the surgeon again.

Having a bilateral will definitely make stairs a bit tougher to navigate so keep us posted on how things are going s we can provide ideas and support!

Having a bilateral will definitely make stairs a bit tougher to navigate so keep us posted on how things are going s we can provide ideas and support!
I decided to do unilateral, right knee. I think I will feel more in control, it's safer, and I will be able to do more things for myself faster.

Tomorrow I am doing a pre-surgery Zoom with PT and OT from the hospital. I bought a toilet seat riser and some compression ice packs. I figured after tomorrow I would have a better idea of more stuff I might need.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom