Intra Articular Hip Injection. How did it work for you?

BruceH

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi,

The last process prior to my OS appointment was a fluroscope guided intra-articular hip injection. Marcaine/methylprednisolone was injected yesterday. The first few hours cut the pain down to almost nothing, then it came back. I'm fairly sore right now (overdid it when the pain was low plus the joint is upset about the injection) but hoping for some relief from the steroid in the next few days.

For those who have had this injection I would like to know your experiences. I was told it would take a few days to a few weeks for the steroid to start helping if it was going to. The fact that I felt pretty good in the joint for a few hours from the marcaine was promising.

Thanks,
Bruce

I found relief with the injections, it does take a few days to calm down afterwards, though.
I never got more than 2 months relief and my dr was disappointed with that. You can only get a maximum of 3 or 4 injections. At least that was how my Dr believed.
So I went in for THR’s and eliminated the problems!
Using ice helps with the post injection soreness.
Good luck!

I had a right hip injection for a torn labrum and mild arthritis, it has worked well for me since March. I have started a gentle stretching program that helps a lot.
Some people do well with hip injections, then suddenly they stop working, and it is time for a THR.

Last edited:
Mine cut the discomfort by 20-50% depending on activities for about 2-3m and now working at all. My surgery was and is scheduled for 11-13-19.

My first one done by an interventional radiologist, was great for six hours, and gradually wore off after three months. The second one barely did anything, and my OS did not believe in doing anymore than two in one hip.
Some folks have much better luck. I remember my doctor wanted me to lay down as much as possible for the first day, to help it stay put for a while. I had Kenalog.

My first one done by an interventional radiologist, was great for six hours, and gradually wore off after three months. The second one barely did anything, and my OS did not believe in doing anymore than two in one hip.
Some folks have much better luck. I remember my doctor wanted me to lay down as much as possible for the first day, to help it stay put for a while. I had Kenalog.

I've had Kenalog in the Troc bursa before. First one helped a little and second didn't do anything.

It's now 4 days after the intra articular injection and it has helped a whole lot. I can still feel grating in the joint and it feels like it's a little loose but that's it. Still have some glute and front thigh pains but the joint pain is over 90% gone.

I wonder how much cartilage the injection is eating up?

@BruceH I went to The Hospital for Special Surgery and I know they do quite a bit of their own original research, and I think they limited me to just two injections at that time based on their research and experience. Their reasoning at the time, (2012) to limit me to just two injections, had to do more with bone necrosis as a possible consequence.

@BruceH I went to The Hospital for Special Surgery and I know they do quite a bit of their own original research, and I think they limited me to just two injections at that time based on their research and experience. Their reasoning at the time, (2012) to limit me to just two injections, had to do more with bone necrosis as a possible consequence.

Thanks for the info. I am under the impression that my injection was for diagnostic purposes. The Radiologist basically said that if this works then it's a high probability that it's the joint. He said if it didn't work well then it would be time to look elsewhere for the source of pain.

@BruceH yes, they will do this injection for diagnostic purposes, because one source of pain in that area may come from the spine. I also have spine issues. However, the bonus is, it may quell some inflammation to make life a bit more tolerable, too. When my dentist had his first shot done it lasted 6 months.

Hello,
I had one hip injection which did not help me having Osteoarthritis in my left hip. I underwent Anterior THP on my left hip 12 weeks ago and am feeling much better. Still in the recovery period but the groin pain is gone and I’m able to do everything and more now prior to the limitations I had before surgery.

I can still feel grating in the joint and it feels like it's a little loose but that's it.
Please be very careful not to over do. Just because the pain decreases does not mean the joint is "fixed". Sounds like your hip is not in very good shape if you can feel the grating. Baby that hip. Believe me, you do not want to experience a collapse.

Please be very careful not to over do. Just because the pain decreases does not mean the joint is "fixed". Sounds like your hip is not in very good shape if you can feel the grating. Baby that hip. Believe me, you do not want to experience a collapse.

That's something that has crossed my mind, I wonder how much damage there will be as a result of this pain relief and increased activities. I really want to play a round of golf prior to this wearing off. However, as your post suggests it might not be a good idea. Thanks for the insight.

I went to see my OS with the intentions of getting the magic shot as I wanted to wait for my THR for a few months. Doc said it most likely wouldn't last long and there is a chance of infection I passed on it. As far as damage goes I'd say the damage is done and after all you are heading towards a THR so the way I look at it is I want my money's worth out of these parts before I scrap them.

As far as damage goes I'd say the damage is done and after all you are heading towards a THR so the way I look at it is I want my money's worth out of these parts before I scrap them.

@Eman85 this actually isn't accurate. Yes, the damage is there but it CAN get much worse. A collapsed hip is excruciating and why risk things after the injection where you then need to wait 3 or more months before you can have the surgery? @Jaycey went through this with her first hip and she really suffered with it.

@Eman85 I did the hip injection, which wasn't pleasant in my experience. Couldn't walk for a day because of post injection flare. It took a few days to "take." And by taking, it probably decreased my painby 50% for a few weeks, that's all. My doc, who did the injection, said you may have a torn labrum (which I had been telling my regular doc for a year), lets get you set up for an MRI, which confirmed it, plus the arthritis that developed because of it. That's when I decided to, as well as my doc, get a new hip. I'm only into week three, but I do believe it was a good decision, maybe even GREAT! As many have already told you, don't "get your money's worth." It will not be worth it to damage your hip further. I speak from experience, because despite pain reduction from injections, it's NOT healed and further pushing the limits, which I have a tendency to do...not self-loving in this case. Be well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the injection has peaked. It's only been one week. I had a few days of 90% pain reduction but now I can feel it coming back, especially when I do something like pivot, carry something heavy, or even sit too long.

I'm doing my best to keep things low impact but I have to do something, even if it's just sweeping the floor and other light house work, picking up dog poop in the yard, or doing simple stretches. I'm going to keep walking the dogs and using the elliptical machine as long as I can. OS appointment is next week.

I would guess I'm getting a lesson in patience because this lack of activity is something I have trouble with.

@BruceH , that's why I opted not to do it. I can function with the pain I've got, I'm very used to it. I wanted a few months to enjoy the summer and daylight savings before I went for my Rt THR. My OS schedules 4-5 weeks out so If it got bad all I have to do is call. If I took the shot it was a 3 month wait before they could do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eman85, For me it was part of the diagnosis process along with the MRI, I suppose I could of said no but I saw it more like a prescription. Still though, I'll try my best to take advantage of the pain relief it offers for as long as it does. The pain is coming back in a progressive manner.

On a side note I take it you run E85 in your drag car? Just wondering.

No E85 yet, I have friends running it. The E part is my first initial and I've used this name on other forums. I'm doing all I can and as much as I can as I know that it will be another time of a lot of sitting and just walking in recovery. Last time I really enjoyed a lot of the down time. Gave me a lot of time to catch up on reading and watching videos.

I can now fully answer the title of the thread "How did it work for you"?

This is day 10 post injection. All the pain has come back overnight. Plus a little more. Maybe it's the same pain level as before but having relief from it for a few days lessened my pain threshold, I don't know. In any case I can say it started working on day 3 and completely stopped by day 10.

Next appointment is with the OS or his PA, not sure who will be at the appointment but it can't come soon enough (it's next week). Hopefully that appointment will result in putting a solution on the horizon of this journey.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks