BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Insurance denied surgery

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by crhdeh, Jan 12, 2018.

1. crhdeh

crhdeh junior member

United States United States
    I have had bad knees since I was in my early 20s and now at 51 I'm having so much pain and nothing is helping that a couple days ago my doctor scheduled TKR surgery for 2/28. I knew this was coming but it scares the heck out of me to think its going to finally happen.

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello @crhdeh - and :welome:

Here is some pre-op information, to get you started with preparation for your TKR:
    If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
    Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Almost everyone is scared at first, but stick with us and we'll help you through this!

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Welcome to Bonesmart! Everyone of us have had a knee replacement and we can answer almost all of your questions about knee replacements! You will find many caring and friendly people going through the same thing you are!

Be sure and join the February knee replacement group. That way you'll have friends going through your surgeries at just about the same time!
    https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...re-you-having-knee-surgery-in-february.44242/

4. crhdeh

crhdeh junior member

:thankyou:I appreciate it, there was some good reading here. I'm glad I joined and definitely will keep coming back. Originally the plan was to have weight loss surgery in April and then knee replacement after that. But my doc has changed the plans to have the replacement done first and then about 6 or 7 weeks later I'm suppose to have the weight loss surgery.

5. crhdeh

crhdeh junior member

I had a feeling this was going to happen. OS wanted to do knee replacement first so I could start healing before having the weight loss surgery. But the insurance company says no! They won't cover it. I'm very frustrated I was hoping I was going to finally get some relief from knee pain.

6. crhdeh

crhdeh junior member

The HR manager thinks that they can help by contacting the Insurance company rep. Not feeling to optimistic right now!

7. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My dad was denied three days before TKR surgery and found out over a weekend! The drs office was able to work it all out in time. I hope the same holds true for you.

8. crhdeh

crhdeh junior member

Thanks, I would hate for that to happen so close to the surgery date!! But the insurance company said no knee surgery until I lose 50 pounds first. But today I found out that my 2 surgeons have come up with a plan because my weight loss surgery has been pushed up to 3/20, then 6-7 weeks later they want to do my knee. Still can't wait for the day that I don't have killer pain in my knees.