3 weeks post op terrible pain

Texaslady

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone.

It has been awhile since I have posted anything due to moving. I was to have a TKR on 6/8 but it was cancelled due to the fact A1c was 7.5. I am trying to get that back down to under 7. Now my PCP has put me on insulin.

My question is there any of you diabetics are have any knowledge about TKR, insulin and diabetes. I have been diabetic for along time and had a THR with no problems, but it seems my pancreas is not producing as much insulin as it should hence the insulin. Can you have TKR safely ?
Thanks

@Texaslady Hi I am over 31 years diabetic and just had a right total hip replacement. I take meds but also a small amount by 15units of Lantus at night. My surgeon won't do it on a diabetic with an A1C over 7.8 so he would have done yours. My A1C was 7. Now post surgery about 3 months I'm a 6.6 and dropping ....less pain better reads...less pain you find you move more. I do not take short acting insulin but the day and a half in the hospital they kept giving it to me. None of my other meds they didn't have them. I am insulin sensitive I go low fast. My point ...you may need more while in the hospital due to the anesthesia and just stress of surgery. But they deal with this all the time. You will be cool...so YES you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you can have a TKR safely. Your surgeon and anaesthetist will need to know you are a diabetic, taking insulin. You should discuss this with your surgeon, because your blood sugars will have to be assessed regularly and your insulin doses may need to be adjusted.

Your surgeon may want documentation from the doctor treating your diabetes. Certainly, a plan should be put in place for you before you go into hospital.

Thank you very much. I was put on 10 unit Lantus to increase once a week for two weeks till I reach 15 units.
Did either of you have any trouble with healing ?
Regards

I'm not diabetic, but at one time - years ago now - my work involved teaching newly-diagnosed diabetics how to manage their illness.

@Texaslady no problems healing at all which I trusted God for. In fact I healed faster than many people I know in person who have had new knees and hips. I am 12 weeks out and was told the other day by my OS don't need to come back for a year . Of course your doctor has to know your diabetic....I bet you'll be off Lantus in no time at all. Like I said less pain....less need for insulin and pills.....hugs

Thank you guys, I talked to my OS's PA and he said my numbers was looking good, that I could call and reschedule my surgery pending A1c on July 31. I called they have me rescheduled for August 31. I hope it has come down. It had come down 7.2 in mid June before the Lantus so it should be down with the diet I am on.
Best Regards

it seems my pancreas is not producing as much insulin as it should hence the insulin. Can you have TKR safely ?
Of course you can have a joint replacement! It's not to do with the surgery, it's to do with the anaesthetic. All you blood readings need to be normal to have a safe anaesthetic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back