Lounge Doctor

Hip Resurfacing Insight wanted - golf?

JD2

Country
United States United States
Hello,
New member...first post. I appreciate all of the info and support offered here. Seeking insight.

58...active (hiking, biking, golf, weight-lifting - not too heavy any more, some lower impact cross training, stretching/yoga).

Right hip...past the point...have met with (3) surgeons. THR-anterior, THR-SuperPath, Hip Resurfacing-lateral entry. Each by different surgeons. Fortunately I have options in my area (Pittsburgh)...but only (1) surgeon available for resurfacing and (1) for SuperPath. Plenty in my area that offer THR-anterior. I have watched each procedure/researched each, etc...each technique has merit (I'm probably even more uncertain now after all of it).

But, with any of the procedures, I am worried about the dislocation risk. I know I put a lot of stress/torque on my bad hip now...and I don't worry about the dislocation risk. I figure, even with my current pain and limitations, I can probably still do 80% or so of what I want to do...but not with nearly the same effort or joy. But, an activity that I really enjoy...mainly because I can do it with my kids, is to golf...but I just can't do it anymore...literally not at all.

This question may seem pretty specific. But, for those of you that have had a THR or BHR, and play golf, I would be very interested in knowing how much torque/stress you feel you can put on your back hip during your back swing (right hip if you're a righty/left if lefty). Assuming you are fully healed and can go after it (you'll know what I mean). I'm hoping the consensus is that you can load into and torque off the back hip without limitation/without thinking about it. ???

On a side note > any thoughts/feedback on the following surgeons?
  • Dr. Anton Plakseychuk (hip resurfacing)
  • Dr. Brett Himmelwright (SuperPath)
Blessings! Thank you. Jack

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@JD2 Welcome to BoneSmart! We have several golfers on the hip forum. I changed your thread title so they can come and chat with you about your question on your back swing. I think most have returned to playing - although taking it slow and building up gradually.
I am worried about the dislocation risk.
I really wouldn't worry about dislocation. It is rare. You may have restrictions post op to stay on the cautious side until there is bone growth. Other than that, my only life time restrictions are bungee jumping and parachuting. Since I am terrified of highs, this isn't really a restriction for me.

Here's an article from our Library on Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
Welcome.

A suggestion: pick the best surgeon. The "approach" (which is merely an outline of how the surgeon will operate) doesn't do the surgery. The surgeon does. Excellent surgeons pick approaches that they are comfortable with and that get excellent results.

If you were to gather 100 well respected surgeons, they would pretty much all tell you that the approach has to fit the surgeon and that good surgeons use varying approaches. They would say their approach works for them. So cut in your mind any connection between the approach and the skill and excellence of the surgeon. And surgeons have to learn the approach, which requires experience.

So a good question to ask is, how many surgeries have you done? And how many have you done using the particular approach that you will use on me? There was a famous surgeon that I considered who was gradually learning how to do anterior approach surgery. He just openly announced that he was basically learning this and would report the percentage of surgeries that were anterior approach vs posterior (his long-time approach). BTW: my surgeon does about 340 hips a year .using the anterolateral approach. He has done about 5,000 maybe in his career. High numbers don't exactly correlate with skill, but you want someone who has done a lot of the surgery you are having. Like 200+a a year. That's how surgeons get really good.

So that's a little background. As for golf, that's not even an issue anymore from what I can tell. Plenty of people here return to golf. I don't think surgeons sweat that one at all. Seriously! Where there is hesitation would be say running and playing basketball after surgery. Well I went to a surgeon at a top-ranked practice and he was fine with me running and weight lifting and the rest. I've been running outdoors since Covid, and my hip is doing great.

So your view of the devices might be a bit out of date. Total hip surgeons are increasingly comfortable with placing no limits on their patients after surgery. Which is why many of them lost interest in resurfacing: they think total hips are now robust enough to handle aggressive activity.

For resurfacing, there are very few doctors who do 200+ a year. If you are really into that, I would consider traveling to those folks. Resurfacing is a difficult surgery with a more obscured view of the field than total hip. Really it's sorta its own specialty. I would not go to someone who does occasional resurfacings.

Oh, hip surgeons (the best ones) definitely feel like they have largely resolved the dislocation problem. It happens of course, but they've made enormous progress, which is part of why an increasing number of them are OK with aggressive activity. That--and the low wear rates of the current devices using cross-linked polyethylene liners.

As for specifically picking surgeon, read around, ask doctors you trust who they would recommend, and then go meet them to discuss your goals and see if they are comfortable with your post-surgery goals. My advice is yes, you want to pick someone that your analytical brain likes and that you connect with on a gut level. Someone you trust. You really have to go meet the people. Trust is a huge part of what allows us to go forward with the surgery.

Last edited:

FCBayern

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Honduras Honduras
Welcome to BoneSmart @JD2! I play golf at least once a week and never even think about any of my replacement joints. They don't hinder me in any way, quite the contrary. My new joints gave me an active life back, I golf, swim, scuba dive, hike etc., many of which I had to stop before replacement. This surgery is life changing in a positive way.

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Hi @JD2

I had the same question prior to my ATHR, May 3 2021. A bit of background, I'm 34, Driver CHS is about 118mph comfortably prior to THR, HC 1. So your concern is right in my wheelhouse.

Prior to surgery, i discussed all of these concerns with my surgeon. I was advised that no restriction would be necessary once healed and rehab done. I did however have a strong focus on Glute muscle activation / strengthening to stabilise the joint, which is a caveat to majority of post surgery rehab.

When I returned to golf, it took a few range sessions to feel comfortable mentally in applying rotational load through my trail side. I am Right handed and had Right side THR. However no pain associated in the new joint. There was stiffness involved generally post initial sessions, due to everything waking back up.

As of now, i have 100% trust in my new hip. I can load into my trail side better than before and rotate under load deeper and further. All of this has equated to being able to get the club shallower in transition, more rotational power and after a session with my coach last week, an increase in CHS.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JD2

Country
Thank you for your insight! Best wishes...

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom