Knee Infection* Infection TKR

@Ddole - You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you

Has anybody else experienced this? If so, what happened? Can they drain and give cortisone injection as before TKR? I’m trying not to panic and assume I’ll need a revision! Just hoping this is a small bump in road!
I'm afraid that Bakers Cysts can recur. Usually they go away again by themselves and surgeons almost never deal with teem surgically. That's because the back of the knee contains so many large blood vessels and nerves - they don't want to go operating there unless there is absolutely no alternative.

No this isn't going to mean that you will need a revision. What's probably happened is that the small opening between the bursa at the back of your knee and the internal knee compartments has become blocked temporarily.

This article may help you to understand what's happened:
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae

I developed the cyst about 2 years after my tkr. The more active I am, the bigger it gets. If I rest for a couple of days, it goes back down and is less painful. I would be very hesitant about having a needle in my new knee. Don't want to take any chance on introducing an infection.

Thank you for setting me straight on how to post. I’m not good at this tech stuff.
Thank you also for the reply and info about Baker’s cyst. I must admit, I’m really discouraged. Most of my pain before TKR was behind knee supposedly from Bakers cyst I was told caused by OE. Now that the swelling and pain is back I feel as bad as before TKR. Since injections, or draining might cause infection it seems as though I will have to live with this pain. I am back in pain management with all the physical limitations I had before TKR. I wish I had never had this TKR.

Yes, thank you. I’m icing it now, and also wearing a compression sleeve while taking it easy today. This didn’t help before surgery, but hopefully will now. Would like to find a way for it to not flare like this upon very little activity.

I recently had a baker's cyst and got a cortisone injection in my non operated knee. I repeatedly asked if the procedure was sterile so I wouldn't get any infection. My knee was bathed in antiseptic wash and injected. No worries with infection.

Hello,

I had left TKR 5/28/19. After a long journey it was finally determined to be infected. This is terrifying me. March 8th I had knee removed and articulating spacer with antibiotics inserted. I had 6 weeks of IV antibiotics which ended today.

I see ortho tomorrow. (I also have an infectious disease doctor who said my last blood work was good, but due to error that has been my only bloodwork since spacer inserted. But, of course that’s good news!)

This has given me great anxiety! I’m wondering what are the chances that 6 weeks of antibiotics will cure infection. A visiting nurse told me she has patients who have had 2-3 rounds of 6 weeks of antibiotics. (I really didn’t need her sharing that info but I do want to be realistic) My spacer is uncomfortable as well and she seemed to think that may indicate infection still there. The PT did however say that spacers can be uncomfortable. The ortho told me at the outset that this procedure has about an 85% chance of success.

I’m told that I’ll be off antibiotics for a bit to be sure no more infection, then revision.

I hope this post makes sense! I have a lot of anxiety about this and am beginning to feel depressed. All normal I’m sure.

Is there any out there who have been in this situation? Any info or advice would be appreciated.

I’m sorry to read that you have an infection. You are not alone, we have other members with infections. Here is a list:
A visiting nurse told me she has patients who have had 2-3 rounds of 6 weeks of antibiotics. (I really didn’t need her sharing that info but I do want to be realistic)
This doesn’t mean they were not successful in the end. Try to trust the process. :console2:

The PT did however say that spacers can be uncomfortable.
I don’t know from experience but I’m not surprised that they would be uncomfortable, they are designed to do a job, and are temporary, so they are probably not fitted as perfectly as the original TKR implant is.

Hang in there and stay with us through this process, we’re here for you!

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Hi, Ddole. I had my TKR October 6, was sailing along, & at about 5 1/2 weeks, my incision got infected. That was in mid-November. We certainly were not planning on this, but, it happened. I had a second surgery , a good cleaning out, checking everything, & it was determined that the infection was almost certainly confined to the incision, & not the knee replacement parts, so the liner was replaced, & I was on the 6-week round of antibiotics ( PICC line.... my husband became Quite proficient at the infusions, & we kept ourselves amused watching silly kitty videos as he slowly administered it). I was put on oral antibiotics for a while after that, & frankly, a bit apprehensive when those ended. My Infectious Diseases Dr reassured me that while there are no guarantees, as more & more time passed, the likelihood of further infection decreases. She felt I’d had enough, and my bloodwork was very good. I had to trust her, she’s a good Dr. We’re both working hard on staying healthy..... getting the rest we need, walking daily and eating well. I’m especially working on plenty of protein, as it helps with the healing process. My nurses when I was in the hospital stressed this, so I listened. I did lose my appetite badly during it all, pretty much lost my taste for sweets ( which isn’t an altogether Bad thing, I was able to lose a rather stubborn 10 pounds that I’ve wanted to see go for some time now...and, it’s staying off!). My ID Dr also reassured me that my appetite should return once I was off the IV antibiotics..... and, it did! I’m once again enjoying cooking.. and, eating it, and my husband is enjoying eating (and, smelling!) it as well. I do enjoy the occasional sweet , but , for the most part, avoid that, neither of us really needs it ( we’re 77 & 82, & diabetes seems to be more likely as you age; doing a little research, I learned that the pancreas is not as efficient as you age.)

The infection & surgery for it were no fun, nor the antibiotics. I do think that after the first bit of that recovery, which was tough, in general, my recovery overall was easier than from my TKR. Maybe because a lot of it, I was familiar with. I do hope it is the same for you.
All this being said, knowing everything that it would be, I’d have this knee replacement again in a Heartbeat! My quality of life is SO much better! I was in so much pain, & just Felt bad from it, more than I realized. Now, I walk daily with my husband. I feel like doing so much more. Looking forward to our garden. Looking forward to our grandson being here every week for 2 days when school is out, & his folks work from home, a very busy, lively, loveable 6 1/2 year old who is my heart! ( btw, he is now proud owner of one of my canes, a request he made after my surgery....” since you won’t need it, Grandma, can I have it for a hobby horse??). So it has a new, fun life!
I look back on all the people I have met through this experience, friends here, the hospital staff where I spent 6 days in the midst of a Delta Covid surge here... they were all so wonderful, & managed to take excellent care of me and the other patients, even though they were overworked & understaffed. I’ve learned a lot , & am really enjoying so much I could not before. ( interesting, my husband & I tried to remember When I could not walk without severe pain, to the point that daily walks were impossible.... it had been so long that neither of us could remember. That Does say something ( maybe one thing, how stubborn I can be).

One other thing my ID Dr told me.....she said to enjoy my life! And not to worry about what Might happen; it probably won’t. I’m still being careful, we both wear masks a lot, work on proper rest, diet, & exercise. Today we worked on replacing timbers in one of our raised gardens. A real workout! I’m already envisioning my tomato& squash plants, tomatillos, & green beans! Trying my hand at starting some things from seed. I’m really looking forward to summer!
I do want to encourage you. I’m thinking positively, and, if I do incur another “bump” in this journey, it will be OK. I’ve learned that. I’m thinking positively for you too. I know your journey has been different from mine, and I think we have in common, being anxious of what might happen. But also, good bloodwork. That’s good. So we probably don’t need more antibiotics. I’ll be rooting for you , & looking for some good reports from you. Take care, & my best to you.

Hi there! I just read of your revision surgery on Monday, June 13th on another's thread.
Wishing you comfort, peace of mind and perfect healing. I will look forward to your first post once you’re feeling up to it. Take good care!
@Ddole

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks