Infection - not in the knee itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaskanTKR

graduate
Ok.... Had rtkr in July...Just had right scope for hip issues. Had stitches. At post op apt today the doc thinks I may have a slight infection at one of the portal places. Stitches were removed... holes cleaned really well by doc.... re-dressed with 3 layers of stuff.....need to change every 3 days... call them if red beyind what it looks like today or go to local er if they can not be reached... need to go back next Monday. Back on antibiotics for 10 days. UGHHH. No steri strips, no stitches. Now just big holes... UGHHHH Do I need to worry. Not worried about the hip as much as I am scared silly about the knee. Do I need to worry?????? He thinks it is superficial. Hopefully it will look better Monday. My question... my knee has gotten really stiff again.. but I think it is from the work they did on the hip ( found out they did 3 hours of grinding off and reshaping bone in my hip and on the femur's head- ughh).

Any info would be appreciated! 5 scopes and a tkr and never an infection!

Marianne

It'll be superficial, Marianne, don't fret. Another 'not uncommon' occurance and probably linked to all the leakage that occured. What people often don't realise (even nurses sometimes!) is that if something is coming out of a wound it's providing a track for infection to go in as well. Same thing with bladder infections when a catheter is used. Urine might be draining out but infection can go in.

Little known factoid:
That's why we use vacuum drains in wounds as the vacuum, coupled with the one-way valves in the tubing, prevent the ingress of drained fluids, thereby reducing the chance of infection from that source by something like 95%.

Jo-
THANK YOU! I was hoping its really nothing. Soundws like it will be fine. I just wished they would have used some steristrips - I am not keen on the idea of the holes being so open under the stuff they dressed it with. Just a comfort thing i guess!
Thanks again!
Marianne

Marianne,
After reading your last comment. When the doc's nurse removed the stitches from my knee scope she asked me if I wanted her to put steri-strips on. I have never had them and asked her why? she said only if i wanted them , so I declined!!!
I guess I could have got yours.
Judy

Little known factoid:
That's why we use vacuum drains in wounds as the vacuum, coupled with the one-way valves in the tubing, prevent the ingress of drained fluids, thereby reducing the chance of infection from that source by something like 95%.

Now that is really interesting. I had that kind of drain and I just knew it did a great job of draining. Now I know it's other advantage!

Marianne, I don't know what you are going to do!!! I sure hope this is nothing to worry about but I can imagine how upset you must be. Like they say if it isn't one thing it's two. I will keep you in my prayers and think lots of good thoughts and send them your way. Good luck, Rowdy

Marrianne, sorry to haer about your infection, it is always a worry. But as Jo said it should be OK. You are onm antibiotics noww anyway so hopefully all will be well. Take care. (((HUGS)))) Sue

Thanks for all the input. Have felt kind of crumby the past days - Sleeping a lot - stock piling for going back to work on Monday. Very cold here (-30 out on the flats a few miles south of town). Hubby thinks the hole looks less yellowy green than it did on Thursday. Still feels weird and my knee is getting stiffer and stiffer - Trying to keep in motion - hopefully going back to school will help. Also had my 7 month old neice again overnight. Easy kid-- takes great LONG naps - so it means I can too. I think the Duricef (???) antibiotic is starting to affect my stomach a bit. No one else in the house has issues so it must be that. Will chat with the Dr on Monday when I see him. Missed the New Years thread - migrain that wouldnt quit came on after pt - UGHHH Oh well...... Happy New Year ALL!!! Hope yours has been warmer than ours! (Cars are not meant for 30 below! Our neon has opted to lay darmonat - good thing the Durango is a happier camper!)
Marianne

If you're having issues with the antibiotics, that could cause headaches and migraine as well. Always does with me. Try some probiotic yoghurt - those little drinks. They help get your gut back in order. Worked wonders for me when I was having mega doses for cellulitis.

(Cars are not meant for 30 below! Our neon has opted to lay darmonat - good thing the Durango is a happier camper!)
Marianne

Hey Marianne,

At -30 F, I would be dormant too! :)

Hope you're better soon.

Marrianne, sorry to hear you are not doing so good still. Hope you are feeling better now. We have only had it minus 23C so far (New Years Eve) but we usually get at least one day at minus 40C each winter. Keep warm, be careful when you get back to work, look after yourself!! ((((HUGS))))) Sue

Thanks for the suggestion - Will hit the store tomorrow for the yogurt!
Temperature cam eup to 22 below - but now the wind is howling. Brrrr...... Getting ready to call it a night - Off to school in the am for the first time since 12/16 - Yikes! Seems like forever. Thank goodness we had a very long break - I really only needed to take 2 sick days. See the doc tomorrow to check on the hole and see if we killed the infection! Hope so! Doing just half days this week due to the dr. apt and pt. Figured I would go back slow - really 3/4 a day....but...
At least with it being so cold this winter my lil one is not begging to go skiing... Down hill gets really brutal when the temps get below zero up here. So... I have a short reprieve from her whinning.

Thanks again!
Marianne

Marianne, I lived in Anchorage for 3 years back in the late 1950's and I remember the cold. But you know, I don't remember it being that bad! Kids are tough!!! I had to walk to and from school (about 10 blocks) and used to go outside and play in the snow in the dark. 'Course it was dark VERY early, so I don't really remember what time it was that I was outside, but I sure loved to go out there and cut blocks out of the snow to build snow forts. Living up there were some of the best memories of my childhood.

Hi all -
Infection is progressing - in a good way. Still open hole but looking better. Saw the PA yesterday and he said it looked a bit better. ny OS was out operating again (imagine!) so he grabbed another OS to verufy the infection is superficial and slowly improving. He concurred but they agreed that I need to come back again next Monday. Oh well - thank goodness for insurance!
Sore today after the first day back to school and a waddle through bed bath and beyond while in town. School is helping the knee - imagine that. The knee feels great. Cant wait for the hip to catch up and get out to play again!
only 17below right now - we have warmed up a bit!

Jamie - the kids went out to recess yesterday - it was 5 above with heavy wind. Today they had indoor recess due to the low temps - no wind. They all complained. My little one is a snow bunny - she could care less about the temps - its the other neighbor kids who hate the cold and wont play otside with her. So... they are down on the Wii playing tennis! I love it up here and will never (hopefully) move back to the lower 48! Abchorage continues to grow so much - Its like a small big city!

Marianne

Glad to hear it's improving, Marianne.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads