Hip Infection Infection, dislocation, revisions, & life beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am having my surgery next Wednesday 4th Febraury. Why put off what has to be done? I meet with the surgeon in the morning to discuss concerns etc....my choice

@Josephine I got the scan results and OS says it's all good. I have one of the reports done by one of the Drs although my OS prefers a particular Dr to do the report which we will receive next week. I'm a bit concerned about an old fracture that hasn't ever been diagnosed before (or maybe it has and I wasn't told????). Or why wouldn't it have been picked up?

Here's what it says.....I value your opinion of it

The is a right total hip prosthesis that appears in good position. No mechanical disruption, loosening or osteomyelitis. There is an old non-displaced oblique fracture involving the proximal shaft of the right femur, extending from the intertrochanteric region down into the the lateral aspect of the proximal femur, ending 30mm above the inferior tipoff the prosthesis. There is bony callus formation and healing is nearly complete. No joint effusion or drain able collection. There are mild post-surgical changes around the hip joint.

I'm also interested why I may keep dislocating if the prosthesis is in a good position? And what may 'mild post-surgical changes' be?

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an old non-displaced oblique fracture involving the proximal shaft of the right femur, extending from the intertrochanteric region down into the the lateral aspect of the proximal femur, ending 30mm above the inferior tipoff the prosthesis. There is bony callus formation and healing is nearly complete.
This last comment means it is healed so will be no problem but could account for a lot of the pain you have experienced.
I'm also interested why I may keep dislocating if the prosthesis is in a good position?
Because the kind of 'good position' the radiologist is talking about is different from the issue that allows a hip to dislocate.
And what may 'mild post-surgical changes' be?
Loosening, demineralisation of bone.

I will be thinking of you Sally on Wed - as the title of your thread now states, there is a better life beyond the nightmare of the past eighteen months - there has to be - we are all certainly sending that request out to the universe... xxx

Will be praying that all goes well for you, Sally. Hopefully you will get your questions answered when you meet with your surgeon. We'll be waiting to hear how things go and thinking of you!

Hi @Vetgirl I have just read your story I am sending you lots of hugs and I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for next week xxx I cannot believe you are still so positive after all you have been through I haven't even had my RTHR. Not till April 14 th my sister @craftdee had her LTHR so that has helped me make up my mind I hope everything goes well thinking of you xx

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday, Sally and hoping this is the final chapter in this seemingly never ending saga for you. Everything crossed for a great outcome. With love Chrissie xxx

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

My thoughts will be with you on Wednesday Sally and praying for a really successful outcome from the surgery.Your positive attitude and courage during this long process has been amazing.Wishing you all the luck in the world x

Adding my positive energy to all that being directed your way for Wednesday @Vetgirl as you head to the END of your journey. Full stop. No more drama... d'ya hear?!! :ok: Just in time for the kids to be heading back to school, good planning... you'll have a nice quiet environment for your UNEVENTFUL recovery :yes:

Crossing everything...
Donna

Adding you to my prayer list Sally! On Sunday, I will be singing in church and one of the songs talks about how God is always holding you in the palms of his hands! Wishing you peace and blessings as you go forward!

Hi Sally, I'm sorry to heat this has happened again. Glad it is getting fixed so quickly. I wish you all the best for Wednesday and a speedy recovery.
Gill

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

add me to the list of well wishers. I'm glad you're not waiting. the sooner you'll be on the road to real recovery at last. yes. life beyond. good luck with everything. devorah

Very sorry you are facing surgery yet again, @Vetgirl Sally, but can understand completely why you want to just get the show on the road and get it behind you. You will be in my thoughts and remember you have legions of friends here on BoneSmart who are pulling for you.

Hi Vetgirl

Sorry you are facing new surgery - but glad it is very soon. Worries have a tendency to increase exponentially, and you won't have much time for that before Wednesday.

I can report that after my 2-stage revision I have had no significant problems, and I hope that this will soon be the case for you. You are very young - from my standpoint - and that will work very much in your favour.

I am 90% functioning as I was before my initial accident. I'm not sure that will improve much now, but quite honestly, it suits me if I just stay like this. I do most of the things I used to - we have just been on a wildlife cruise in the Indian Ocean, and only the choppiest of seas kept me out of the zodiacs - even though I do some things rather more slowly, cautiously and tentatively than before.

My husband - who was truly excellent during my initial accident in the Atacama Desert - is perhaps rather lacking in the bedside manner department, and will tell me (without me even asking) that a lot of my holding back is "all in the mind". No doubt he's right - he usually is, but don't mention that - but I think I will always exercise more caution than before.

I do hope that after all your problems, you will soon come to the kind of comfortable plateau on which I now find myself. Or more likely will soar above it, with new vitality and strength.

Very best wishes.

Glynis

What a journey @Vetgirl. My mum went through a similarly awful time - although she's much older and had many more complications including osteoporosis. Still I can only imagine how desperate you are to get up and get on. Sending my very best wishes for tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018