BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Indygo's thread<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Indygo, May 28, 2019.

1. Benay

Benay graduate

United States United States
    I think it's that roller coaster which is part of recovery. I'm always looking for the reason when mine takes a turn for the worse but just now trying to go with the ups and downs and knew I'll come out the end one way or the other. I'm close to 6 weeks out and feel, at least for now, a significant improvement pain wise.

2. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Thanks Benjay. I woke up really discouraged today too as two days ago I felt like all was improving and today the pain is back, I'm restless and bored and just want it to be better! I keep saying 'it's a marathon, not a sprint' and reminding myself that all this is normal. With all the other surgeries I've had, there's been such steady and predictable progress, so this is very frustrating. Oh well. Soldiering on!

3. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

This surgery is so much different than any other surgery in its recovery. Bonesmart warned me that it was a slow, up and down process and boy were they right!

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Unfortunately, this recovery isn't a straightforward progression. It's more like 2 steps forward, one step back, or taking a ride on a roller coaster.

Recovery chart drawn.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Indygo

Indygo junior member

I just thought I'd check in. It was four weeks last Thursday, and I had my OS appointment, which went well. Of course there was another woman in the waiting room who'd had her surgery on the same day and she was walking quite fast and had driven there on her own while I was hobbling on my cane and holding onto my husband's arm. But oh well! The new knee looks so good compared to the before pic. Last night I slept on my stomach which was like heaven! I didn't intend to do it, just flopped over into my old position and immediately fell asleep. I'm hoping to try to drive this week. Still feeling frustrated at my inactivity. I've watched all seven seasons of The Gilmore Girls and read several books but would like to be out in the world again. Some friends took me out to lunch on Friday, and that was great.

6. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I Know that sort of thing can be disheartening, but do try not to compare.
    That woman may not have had the same surgery, or her knee might not have needed as much work as yours did.

You're doing well, and making good progress. Being able to sleep on your stomach was a big jump in progress. Many people can't do that at just a month after surgery.

7. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Well, here I am heading into week 8 (I think) and suddenly my knee is swollen again. I went to the Y to try to do the recumbent bike and couldn't make a rotation, something I could do a couple of weeks ago. I don't think I've been doing too much. In fact, I'm a really good couch potato, unfortunately. But I haven't been icing. Is that why? I've pretty much cut out all pain killers. Would Tylenol help with swelling? Or Naproxen? Which? Yesterday was the 4th, and we had hot dogs and chips--salty stuff. Would that cause more swelling? I have to keep remembering that roller coaster drawing that Celle put on my thread earlier!! (I didn't think it really applied to me of course! :))

• Like Like x 1
  8. winemama

winemama senior

I find Naproxen works better for me, even at 8 weeks you should still be icing. I know if I miss a day my knee complains
    I have learned the hard way, at 2 months you still have 10 months to go

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Thank you winemama! I'm going to try Naproxen. Tylenol doesn't seem to do a lot. I put my ice machine away but still have the gel packs and will use it every day again. Sigh. Dang demanding knee.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 senior

I'm only 6 days behind you and completely understand the non-linear progression for this recovery. I feel like I was improving by leaps and bounds until 4-5 days ago when I seem to have plateaued.

I've also tried to go without icing so much, as my surgeon asked me to use heat more than ice now. It's not gone as well as planned, and sometimes I just HAVE to prop my feet up and ice for 40-50 minutes. I've always swelled a lot though after all 11 knee surgeries, so I am not too keen on using heat more than 1-2 times a day.

I wonder if we've hit that stage in recovery where the gains are going to be spread out more. It's so frustrating when one just wants to get back into the real world again. I'm thinking about you though. All of you ahead of me have done wonders in giving me an idea of what to expect---the highs AND lows. Just know we're still here and rooting for you. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Bless you, Rockgirl! Thanks for the good vibes. I’m feeling the plateau this week for sure. I think too that the rest of me— other knee, in particular—is getting lazy from too much inactivity. But we’ll soldier on. And I just finished icing!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Benay

Benay graduate

I love to ice specially as the weather is getting hotter .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Thank you @winemama and @rockgirl! Yesterday afternoon and this morning I took Aleve (naproxen) instead of Tylenol and where I wasn't able to do one rotation on the bike yesterday, I biked for thirty minutes--full rotations--today! It's either the roller-coasteriest of come backs or the anti-inflammatory is what I needed. Anyway, I feel so much better!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. winemama

winemama senior

Naproxen is a miracle drug, I feel it works so much better the Tylenol. Good for the 30 minutes on the bike

• Like Like x 1
  15. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think 30 minutes on the bike was a bit too much. Try to increase times only slowly.

Your poor knee is still very new. It isn't lazy or unfit. It's wounded and it needs time and gentle treatment, so it can heal.

16. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    While Naproxen works well for you, @winemama , do bear in mind that, like all NSAIDs, it can cause an increased tendency to bleed, especially from the stomach. Recent studies have also found that NSAIDs can increase the risk of heart problems.
    NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

While it was originally thought that Naproxen presented less of a risk, this has also been questioned.
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...ase-heart-attack-and-stroke-risk-201507138138

17. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Thanks for the advice @Celle! It was the recumbent, very slow, with no resistance, but I won’t do it often. It did do wonders for my mental health though! And good info about the Aleve. I’ll use sparingly, as I did before surgery, even though it was truly a miracle. Will also ice.

• Like Like x 1
  18. lisabl

lisabl member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Indygo I am 2 days ahead of you and ice everyday still. It does mean I can do 10mins on exercise bike a day, and today I managed to walk a mile comfortably to our local coffee shop (took 22mins). Don't think I could do it without icing. Meds Panadol and Panadol PM only

• Like Like x 1
  19. Indygo

Indygo junior member

Thanks @lisabl! I'm sitting here icing as we speak. A mile walk is an accomplishment! Good for you. My neighborhood isn't particularly pedestrian-friendly, but I do laps around the house and at the mall.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I’d much rather walk around the house. Outside is often too hot, too cold, too wet or too windy! :heehee: And I can wear jammies if I want to!

• Friendly Friendly x 1