Increased pain/swelling after 1st euflexxa injection

Neehutchy

Country
United States United States
I had the first of three bilateral euflexxa injections 7 days ago...the shots were painless. But since the injections the pain has been getting worse. I can barely walk and getting through my shift at work is excruciating. My knee, calf, ankles and feet are swollen to the point I can barely get my shoes on. I called the orthopedic office and was told this is something that can happen and it should subside. Just ice, elevation and anti inflamatories...all of which are doing nothing for the pain when walking. I am to go back 4/3 for the second shot in the series...I'm afraid to continue with the injections; if this gets any worse I will not be able to walk. I have Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) with a herniated disc at L4, L5 and my back is really starting to flare up too. Can anyone offer any advice?

Since it's the long Easter weekend, it's probable that you won't be able to see your surgeon before April 3rd. However, do phone his rooms again on Tuesday morning and explain how bad this is.
One of the listed side effects of Euflexa is swelling at the injection site, but I think it is unusual to have swelling to the extent that you have it.

Can you rest, ice and elevate your legs over the weekend and take Tylenol for pain relief? If you are scheduled to work, take a couple of sick days.

I'd be inclined to not have any further Euflexa injections.

Where did you have the injections? You haven't said.

I would tend to feel a bit leery about having any more as it seems clear they don't agree with you. But they're only a kind of Band-aid anyway. Not meant as a long term treatment

I went ahead and did the complete series of three injections; no relief. Honestly the knees are worse now than they were before. The last of the three injections was April 9; my next appointment is May 24th. I'm really dreading waiting that long to move ahead with scheduling surgery. Wondering if I really have to wait the full six weeks and I'm considering calling to see if they can move it up. Each step is extremely painful and I'm working a 50+ hour week job. I did call my pain clinic doc regarding my back; last Wednesday I had a steroid epidural and my back, sciatica and hip pain is back under control for now. I'm just soooo ready to move on with this and get some control back in my life.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GardenGram
Recent bookmarks