THR In recovery mode

Mojo333

Staff member since August 15, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
Great to see your update:) :-) (:and glad you are sharing your recovery advice and encouragement.
I think it freaked him out a little when I hinged over with straight legs and planted my palms on the floor in front of my feet... lol
:scare::dubious: I bet!

Your recovery seems to be much like mine and the tightness hangs around for a while but gets better and better with time.
We discussed how that with healthy hips we're working to loosen them up but with artificial hips we want to do the opposite and we need to be careful as we've lost the nerves that help us to judge how far we're pushing that hip. Basically strengthen the muscles and soft tissue to prevent the affected hip(s) from being loose and dislocating. Apparently excessive external rotation coupled with hyper-extension of the hip joint will be a surefire dislocation with the anterior approach
I love, love this succinct explanation from your doctor and will be bookmarking it for future reference.
I am 5 years post bilateral THR and am so grateful for it.
Life without hip pain is So Sweet.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I wonder if surgeons get as much joy, gratitude and satisfaction from the results as I am experiencing. I couldn't express my appreciation enough!
I never tire of a grateful heart. Happy to hear you’re doing so well, may it only get better. Enjoy the weekend! :wave:

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the week! :)
@hhhooray

Hip4life

Staff member since January 6, 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
@hhhooray I do hope surgeons get some of the same feelings as we do. I think most do. I just returned from a long postponed vacation to Yellowstone (last big postponement was due to my hip.) Everyday on each hike or climbing over a rock or log, I thanked Spirit for giving the knowledge, skill, and compassion to those surgeons. It never gets old or diminishes for me because I remember how small and painful my world got. Keep the faith and many continued healing blessings.

OP
OP
H

hhhooray

Country
Thanks Layla and hip4life!
Kind of conflicted, the hip itself feels solid and I don't have pain and very little discomfort walking. However, I still have some soft tissue and muscle weakness and the increased and frequent walking is really helping that.
My psoas, however, is not happy and the discomfort appears to be getting worse over time. I'm beginning to not be able to do some core work i need to support my spine. Simple stuff like dead bugs, leg lifts, bicycle crunches, etc. The psoas starts hurting when I just stand for a while too. I'm taking a week off from any exercises and taking ibuprofen to see if it the psoas calms down. If not, I may need to see if my OS can check my psoas and cup placement. The thought of a revision or psoas release stuff is not optimal for my mental disposition. Lol.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Best wishes!
I hope it doesn't come to the need for surgery. With any luck rest and OTC meds will help. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
@hhhooray

OP
OP
H

hhhooray

Country
Hi John, when resting it can be good. Sitting is generally OK unless I've aggravated it through too much standing, too much walking or doing any core action that requires the hip flexor to engage. Standing knee raise isn't too bad but anything like a lying leg raise or leg being raised at full extension has become near impossible to perform due to pain. Discomfort is worse the more externally rotated the leg is.
@JohnWilky

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
CanadianLiz
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom