Lounge Doctor

THR in October 2021

sllew9

Country
United States United States
I am experiencing lower back pain above my left hip,which will be replaced in October. It is worse than the hip pain itself. What is best way to handle?

Eman85

supremo
Country
Not qualified in any way to give medical advice, all I can tell you is my experience. I had and have plenty of lower back pain. Took a long time but one of the things that made mine worse was sleeping position. In trying to get comfortable with bad hips I would turn in bed to sleep partially on my stomach. Once I had my hips replaced I was no longer searching for a comfortable position for my hips. Sleeping on my side helped my back pain a lot. To prevent my rolling past my side I kept sleeping with a pillow between my legs and it's helped a lot with my back. I also do stretches for my back, most are done in bed or on the floor.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
I’m sorry you’re struggling with pain.
I experienced some back pain pre-op as many do. My best advice is to do whatever brings relief as you await your date. Whether that be OTC pain relievers, ice,
heat…see what works best. In the weeks leading up to my surgery. I found comfort through heat. I often went to bed early and watched tv with a heating pad. I don’t know that it eased the pain, but I found it comforting.
Wishing you peaceful relief! :)
@sllew9

BigDon

Country
Australia Australia
Hi @sllew9

I found the lower back pain to at times be worse than the hip pain prior to THR. You're lumbar spine, Si joints and sacrum absorb a lot more load due to the abnormalities in hip / pelvis function. My L5 and right side SI joints have advanced arthritis in them due to this, so i understand your pain.
Prior to THR, i found only a few things that assisted with the discomfort.
Celebrex ( prescription anti inflammatory )
Ice baths
Infrared Sauna's - 1/2 an hour sessions.
Self massage with a spiky ball or something harder depending on your tolerance ( golf / hockey ball )
Laying on the ground resting your lower legs on a flat surface, allowing your upper legs to be at 90 degrees to your torso. About an hour. This takes the pressure off the lumbar spine and allows your spine to reset on a flat surface.

Good luck

SummerSun

Country

Hopper

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I understand you as I am having a THR next Tuesday the 19th Oct and having had two PKRs I really don't want to go through this again either. Feeling very nervous and sad about another long recovery period. I hope it goes well for you.

Jockette

Country
@SummerSun and @Hopper

Thank you for your encouragement and support of fellow BoneSmart members. I have moved your posts to this thread. In an effort to keep the monthly team threads as a record of surgeries for the month only, we ask that you share updates or messages to members on their pre op or recovery threads. Thanks!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hello @sllew9
I hope you’re resting comfortably after today’s surgery and any pain is well managed.
We‘d love to follow your recovery journey and support / encourage you along the way.
Please join us on the healing side (Hip Recovery Forum) once you’re settled in back at home. We will look forward to hearing from you and sharing our helpful Recovery Guidelines. Hope to see you there soon! :wave:

Hopper

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Thank you @Jockette.
I had my surgery last Tuesday and Im home and resting. Finding it so hard to sleep on my back. I managed somehow with my knees but not doing so great this time and finding myself getting up every few hours during the night just to move my body.
Pain is ok - I love my ice packs. All is well really.

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knobbyknees
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom