THR Impatiently healing Diabetic LTHR'

Status
Not open for further replies.

jp4199

Country
United States United States
Hello and wow! I've been searching for a fellow type I Diabetic to see if anyone can compare notes with me. This has been quite a journey!

I am four weeks and one day out on a new right hip! And have been on an insulin pump for 15 years.

The hip seems to be healing slower than everyone else, which I expected. This is typical of everything with diabetics. The medications I normally take are overwhelming. I am so fortunate to have many advocates and medical professionals in my close family, but I am still looking for anyone to share and compare.

My blood sugars are easily managed as I am on a continuous glucose monitor that communicates with my pump (Minimed paradigm CGM) and looking to upgrade this year to the new system which is waterproof (!)

I'm just not as far along as I'd like to be. My gait is off balance, still using the cane, pt is too short and fast, aaack!

I can't wait to hear from this wonderful community.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! I'm sorry to have to tell you that, to the best on my knowledge, we have no T1D amongst the members. A few T2D though (including me!) but that won't help you much.

The question is, just how far along did you expect to be at 4 weeks? All you've said seems to me to be about on track. However, I'd advise you quit the PT!

Have a read of these:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

@jp4199 Hi and:welome:to the forum. You will find lots of help, advice and support on here from some fab people. At 4 weeks you are on track. This is a slow recovery for everyone - some take longer than others but at 4 weeks you should not be pushing yourself too hard - and no PT. Have a read of others posts and you will get a better idea of recovery. It's brill to have a new hip so congratulations. It will only get better from now on.

Thank you Josephine and Cas.
I have been reading all I can on this forum, even chased down a lovely little case study on thigh pain related to post-op complications and eased my mind regarding that thank goodness.
I actually really enjoy the physical therapy as it gets me out of the house and I have been through it before with my labral tear repair surgery two years ago on same leg. This is much less, and the therapists have given me some great ideas for when I return to work.
Coincidentally I ran into a colleague of mine that had both hips done last year and we compared notes. Although not T1D, she is also a teacher (probably forgot to mention) and was able to suggest ideas as well.
I go back to work a little ahead of 6 weeks post-op. I think I will be ready with precautions in the fore front!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larval tear! Hah! That auto corrected! It was supposed to be labral tear!

Updating: I am on track to return to teaching on Tuesday! I have "resigned" physical therapy for the time being, but will continue strengthening exercises for stairs and core as I am looking at a RTHR in June. My gluteus certainly needs the attention hah!!!
I live in very wintery climate, and am super nervous about navigating in this ice covered danger zone. I will be contacting my admin on Monday to arrange a handicapped arrangement to be closer to the entrance. I am very nervous about falling. Our school parking lot is a gauntlet on good days! I usually get there at least a half hour early, and my own children gripe about how bored they are then- imagine their dismay when we show up a whole hour early!!!
I sit at the piano or conduct standing and traditionally dance around all day. It is so hard for me to imagine my new persona as a static cautious conductor now. Such a trade off from my crazy flamboyant old self. I'm trying not to mourn too much right now, but the tears are flowing...
I really am just ready to return- I have considered purchasing a bright green exercise ball chair with the roller balls as a base- has anyone had success with use of these? My pt said this would be a decent idea to restore core strength and certainly adjustable for height at the piano etc. interested

My gluteus certainly needs the attention hah!!!
What makes you think that? You're only 7 weeks out so I cannot conceive that you are talking about your glutes being weak! After this surgery, they are NOT weak, they are injured and therefore, exercising is the very last thing they need. Did you miss this comment of mine earlier? Or perhaps you just dismissed it thinking I didn't know what I was talking about! :heehee:

"Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess."
I live in very wintry climate, and am super nervous about navigating in this ice covered danger zone.
You should invest in a pair of these - I wouldn't go out in snow without mine! Safety: walking in snow and ice after surgery

However, as a cautionary note, it's inadvisable to walk on tarmac, paving, stone or concrete as they can act like skids!

Thanks @Josephine. I have the Yak Trax and the best parking spot! I am also now all ice free for the time being. Whew!
I have been back at school for two full weeks and am really feeling exhausted. Also have hit the post- surgery blues- crying crocodile tears- when I do make it home. I think trying to sort out coming off of the narcotic pain meds and the combination of the increased stress of navigating with still recovering hip and the pain that accompanies that fun... aye! Thank goodness for weekends!
I am icing and on scheduled Tylenol, along with my normal Mobic dosing. I've carved out a time at lunch to rest, although it's only 15 minutes, and it helps me get through.
I know it gets better. When people ask how I'm doing, I say "Better every day," but I sure don't feel like it.

Hang in there and best wishes on your recovery. Could you share a link to the post-op thigh pain paper? I am having those and would love to read it if possible. Thank you!

even chased down a lovely little case study on thigh pain related to post-op complications and eased my mind regarding that thank goodness.
Yes, do share. I did a google search but found lots of articles which didn't really seem appropriate.

@KCDawg and @Josephine, of course I can't retrace my steps to find that case study for the life of me- I will do my utmost to recap:
The two main points were to rule out infection (of course!) and to consider a hairline fracture in the trochanter that can occur during the boring out stage...
The latter presents very rarely, in my understanding. I'm sorry I'm not better help!
On the up side for my present situation, I was able to get in with my physician assistant and address my groin pain issues. Am now on a medrol pac and ultrasound therapy for the ever loving iliopsoas that will plague me forever maybe?
Super fun being on steroids as a diabetic as this instantly raises blood sugars like crazy. I know how to deal and have already set a temporary basal rate of 130%... think this could be important to remember for the Type IIs out there as well. Looking so very forward to pain relief that isn't narcotic.
Wee!

In physical therapy last session, I was doing my balance work and both surgery leg and strong (er) leg were horrific with balancing. I'm pretty freaked out. I was a dancer and athlete while growing up, have always considered myself "graceful," and truly could not hold myself stable! I realize the vestibular nerve controls balance, but wow! Has anyone struggled with this in recovery? I am 4 months out of a TLHR posterior.

With new hips, many of us have to relearn how to walk properly again. Check out the gait training videos, it takes time for muscles to regain strength and the body to realign.

Last edited by a moderator:
@jp4199 You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

I had balance problems post both THRs. According to my GP - it's not unusual to have this after major surgery. The good news is it eased. But it did take a few months.

Thanks Jaycey! I hoped someone would do that[emoji106]

@jp4199, you will also notice I have edited out the quote of Jaycey's post in your response.
That's because it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

In physical therapy last session, I was doing my balance work and both surgery leg and strong (er) leg were horrific with balancing.
Did you also miss my comment (in post #2) regarding PT/exercising after a THR?

@Josephine I actually really enjoy my PT. I see a group of therapists and work more with deep tissue massage, dry needling, strengthening work, and this last week- balance. This last month was in response to iliopsoas issues (we thought) and I learned a great deal about stretching.

One in particular that I found really useful and even took back to my students involves opening up the sciatic nerve! We forget that nerve structures can be impinged and those pathways need to be realigned (?) or that's how I picture it anyway. My PT had me sit on the edge of a chair with my surgery leg straight out and with my knee straight- "as close to the floor relaxed as possible"

And slowly flex my toes- seems so simple! But wow! I got an electric jolt down my leg! All the way down to my toes! And then of course, point the toes, stretching the other muscles and flowing the nerve system another direction, and flex again- the second time slowly lowering your chin to your chest... all of this done sitting as tall as possible in the chair.

Such an eye opener for me on the workings of the body. My poor old body.

So, some people like me, really do find some benefit from the right therapists. I understand that your general position is to not attend. However, in my case, it has been wonderful.

I have done some research as I always do (!) on vestibular disturbances, and have arrived at this issue perhaps being a viral issue not related to surgery.

I am in touch with my internal med physician to begin testing as it is concerning enough to warrant more medical attention ie, I can't walk in the dark!!!

IE, I can't walk in the dark!!!
Well this is concerning. Yes, please do get more information from your doctors. Please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties