• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Immediate pain relief

Tykey

Sr Bonesmartie
Some people have a lot of pain when they wake up after surgery, whilst I had none.
Its too easy to say we are all different, supplying pain killers to be taken orally should be second nature to hospitals.
Then I remember my PT telling me that the final thing the surgeons at my hospital do is to get out the large needles and inject lots of long lasting pain killer into either side of the knee before they stitch up the wound.

He added that they wanted us to make sure we didn't wake up in agony.
Not sure if this is or isn't common practice.

Carole4815

graduate
Country
United States United States
My surgeon did that. In my case, he told me it would wear off on Day 3. But I noticed no difference since my pain level did not increase on Day 3 or ever. Apparently I was just unreasonably lucky, for once in my life.

Pumpkln

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Some surgeons follow this protocol, many using Exparel.

Makes me wonder why more surgeons do not use this protocol.

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I had Exparel when my right hip was replaced. Pain level was minimal except for the screaming muscles and tendons from correcting my LLD.

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

Sr Bonesmartie
I've found the info for my surgery, they injected 225 mg naropin in 170 mls saline as a local block for 3 days.
As with Carole, the pain never came back, so maybe we weren't lucky, just had great treatment!

Carole4815

graduate
Country
I've found the info for my surgery, they injected 225 mg naropin in 170 mls saline as a local block for 3 days.
As with Carole, the pain never came back, so maybe we weren't lucky, just had great treatment!
Good point! I love my OS and thought he did an amazing job with minimizing my pain and everything else. This is why I want him to do my second knee, if I decide to go ahead with that. I was never told what he injected; he just said he gave me injections while I was under general anesthesia, to help with the pain for 3 days after surgery.

Interestingly, the nurses apparently gave me nothing beyond that for pain during the day and a half while I was in the hospital, except for hydrocodone on two occasions when I asked for it. Even then, my pain was not bad but I wanted to "stay ahead of the pain" as people often advise.

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

Sr Bonesmartie
I wondered how a couple of paracetamols and a ibuprofen eliminated all the pain.

I'm wondering if those who have a lot of pain DIDN'T have this treatment?

I certainly won't be having any further joint surgery without it

judgar

Country
All I was on was ibuprofen. Iam allergic to everything

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

Sr Bonesmartie
Hi Judgar, does that mean you didn't have injections during your surgery, and how was the pain post op using just Ibuprofen?
I am just trying to establish if this technique is common, and does the lack of it explain why some have real pain and others don't.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Use of injected pain medications such as Exparel and other cocktails is fairly common these days. It's a good thing to ask as you're interviewing surgeons. It is proven to make a difference in post-op pain levels.

OP
OP
Tykey

Tykey

Sr Bonesmartie
Now I know, I'd spend a lot of time finding out, and not worrying about reputations of surgeons

(And yes, I am very cynical, and hate reputations)

judgar

Country
I had the injections for the surgery, but he had to go back in 3days later because I was bleeding. He couldn’t give me the injections after that surgery. So yes I did but they were gone by 72hours. And I had tramadol 4 days in hospital.then I had a reaction so I was only on ibuprofen . And yes the first 3 to 4 weeks was rough.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kurt_H
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags