THR I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to...

Sashimu

Country
Canada Canada
My surgery tomorrow has been cancelled.

I started getting a burning sensation in my eyes on Monday morning. It went away for a while and I thought that was it (I never get burning eyes) but it came back late Tuesday and has gotten steadily worse. Plus I had a dull headache in my temples (also atypical) most of yesterday.

I talked to the surgeon's office this morning and they said to go get a Covid test and that the surgery would have to be postponed.

I can hardly believe this is happening.

oh how disappointing! I can sympathize, because my first hip surgery was postponed a week because of a work stoppage at the hospital where it was going to take place. Hopefully your test will be negative and you can get rescheduled soon.

So sorry your surgery is postponed! And I do hope you don't have Covid! Please take care and update when you can.

I am sorry you will have to wait for a new date. Keep us posted. Sending positive vibes that nothing serious is wrong. :flwrysmile:

I just saw that your surgery had been cancelled. First, I really hope your COVID test comes back negative. And yes, how awfully disappointing to have your surgery cancelled. The wait up to the operation can be so fraught, you just want it OVER! I saw that a bunch of people had their surgeries postponed back in March when the pandemic started, so I’m sure you’ll have lots of company! Hope whatever it is that is ailing you gets better fast and you get back on the schedule.

I had my surgery postponed twice, once for a health issue of mine and once when our hospitals cancelled elective surgeries because of covid. It is SO frustrating. You've gotten yourself all prepared both mentally and physically and then it doesn't happen. Here's sending you good vibes that this will be a short setback. Much as it is better to be safe than sorry, it doesn't feel that way at the time, I know.

I'm curious Sashimu. Do they not usually require covid tests for everyone pre-surgery in Canada? In most of the U.S. you have to get a test a few days before at the Hospital's testing site and then quarantine til surgery.

I hope your results are negative and that you have a new surgery date soon.

I thought I'd be required to get a Covid test pre-surgery, but no. The hospital phoned on Tuesday, I think it was, before my symptoms really started, and asked the usual screening questions, but that was it.

I got a negative result yesterday for my Thursday Covid test. I went for another test today though, because on Friday I started to really feel sick; sore throat, malaise, slight fever, and still have burning eyes. Should get today's results tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Assuming no Covid, I'll ask the surgeon's office on Monday about how long I'll have to wait for another surgery date. Though they do have a cancellation list as well....I can't imagine being the person who got the call after my surgery was cancelled: hey, do you want to come in tomorrow morning at 6 am? Yikes!

And I'm sure grateful that they did cancel, because otherwise I would have started feeling sick after I arrived at the hospital or god forbid, after the surgery. That would have been a lot worse.

Thanks for your good wishes, everyone! :)

I actually got that call — someone cancelled and they asked if I wanted to come in the next day! I was absolutely NOT about to do that! Hope you feel better soon, so you can get back on the calendar.

:) :-) (:Glad to hear it, @Sashimu

:fingersx: you get a new date soon.

I was originally scheduled for October 7. I had started feeling ill two weeks earlier after a flu shot. It took too long for Covid test results to clear so I cancelled and requested a reschedule - I wanted to cancel early enough so someone could get my slot. The three weeks until my new date (October 28) kept me in limbo. During that time we lost our old kitty and discovered that good humidifiers helped a huge amount with the abnormal humidity we were having (abnormally low even for living in the desert plus wildfire smoke - burning eyes, dry morning mouth). The reassuring piece was knowing that my recovery would be better if I was well.
The 28th finally arrived - my new Covid results did not. They ran a rapid test and continued prep - negative results came back from the lab at the last minute. Within minutes of getting results I was asleep.
After that cancellation I stayed in strict isolation for the three weeks- just didn’t want to take any chances.
Hang in there - you’ll be on the other side before you know it.

My tip - order a lounge doctor now - don't wait until post op day six like I just did. :no-fin::no-fin::no-fin::no-fin:

Hmm, I hadn't thought of a lounge doctor, DesertHorses ...I rented a lift chair (which is now going back), so I think that serves the same purpose when it's fully reclined?

I'm glad you were able to go ahead with your surgery after all that. And I'm sorry to hear about your kitty :-(

Forgot to say, I talked to my surgeon's office and it sounds like I'm in for a pretty long wait. They said they think I will hear from surgical booking in December, and that I'll get 8 weeks notice...that means no surgery before end of January, best case scenario. But I'm still feeling sick with whatever this is, so the cancellation was the right call.

@Sashimu - Sorry your wait is going to have to be even longer and hope you get over whatever bug has cropped up.
I saw the Lounge Doctor on the forum here - until it arrives I’m using pillows, not ideal.
This shows the does and don’ts of elevation.
Depending on your circumstance a lift chair could be useful but might not do the right kind of elevation. Nothing like finding yourself stuck in a chair you can’t get out of and there have been times I wish I had a lift. I’ve been able to get up off my lowest couch and a chair using my “good” leg and arms (but I also had an anterior approach with no restrictions).
You can use the extra wait time to “practice” - can you get in and out of your bathroom with your walker? Have you tried out your toilet seat riser or commode? With my first THR I got an inexpensive bar stool as a rest perch in my kitchen - its become a permanent fixture.
You can try out your pain med ahead of time so you know how you respond - especially if you don’t normally take opioids. I was prescribed Vicodin which tends to make me woozy but doesn’t do much for me for pain (and percocet is worse) so I was able to get it changed to Tramadol beforehand, which works well for me.
My surgeon has patients make ice packs - 1 part isopropyl alcohol to 2 parts water double ziploc bagged. I made a couple so they can be rotated, they’re nice and slushy so wrap around easily.
You can also stock up on anything you “might” need to help with constipation. Second only to being stuck in the chair is waiting for Amazon same day delivery or a neighbor to show up with the drugs or prune juice while you’re trying to pass rocks.
Spend the time to read all the linked articles in the guidelines the admins have sent you - I would have done better had I spent more time reading and rereading them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back