THR I'm on the other side!!

20 weeks ago was one heck of a day and first night Post Op . 140 days . Healing nicely. Walked 7 miles today , probably 10 total with being at work and track practice. Hey don’t tell my wife but I jogged 200+ steps last few days:))) no plans to do much more than that . Basically walking at 15 mins a mile . 4 mph . Not a drop of pain in the new hip . Stiff a bit after sitting. Getting stronger every week . Still not completely healed . Range of motion is getting so much better. Same with strength!!

Hey don’t tell my wife but I jogged 200+ steps last few days
I’m tellin :wink:

Just kidding, my lips are sealed :mute:
You're doing great! I can’t believe you’re almost five months post op. Time certainly flies.

Was up in the NC mountains this past weekend. Walking up and down hills, 7.5 miles . Did well. Next week is 5 months. Uh WOW! Happy here. Leg is so much stronger !! Implant, new hip GENIUS!!

5 months PO today . Goal 3 hour walk . Why not;))). Seriously my strength in the leg is getting so much better as the weeks go by . Up hills is now great . Even balance is better . Sure takes time to fully heal . I actually got into argument with someone who said they were going to run at 4 months PO of their hip replacement. They said they only live once !! I was as avid and fast and a successful runner for 50 years . I want to be able to walk in my 80s and 90s !!! Running ?? Oh heck why now!! The head of orthopedics and probably one of the best surgeons in America and the world who replaced my hip said why would I risk damaging the implant? That he has seen the effects of wear from running on revising surgeries. I trust this guy with my life . In fact we really do trust our surgeons with our lives when we go into the OR . !!

Just catching up @newguy and so happy to read your last updates.:egypdance:
I agree with you on being happy to walk and live life pain-free while being mindful so that these can be my forever hips.
Hope your weekend is hippy happy!

Happy Five Month Anniversary! I think the decision you’ve made in regard to running is a good one. Life changes and evolves and I’m sure you’ll find new ways to replace the joy you got from running. Sounds like you’re doing so with walking and / or hiking.
Have a great weekend! :walking:
@newguy

I love that you are doing all that walking, I was avid walker (3 miles a day), nothing as ambitious as your walks but I also worked 3-4 days per week in very fast paced environment. I miss my dog walking for sure.
I'm 3 months post op and I do feel stronger and there are small celebrations each time I realize I'm doing something I couldn't do just a few short weeks ago.
Uphill for me is still a little painful. My best walking is flat surface, grocery stores, etc.
Thanks for taking us along on your journey, I'm hoping I can soon follow suit and get back into the swing of things.
Stay well.

Hi @newguy . It is so encouraging to read your updates! I really really love walking and hiking. I used to be a runner and I just don't see how I am ever going to go back to running or skiing (that's how I fractured my hip). Sigh... It seems such an unattainable goal even though I am still only 13 weeks post op. It seems a life time of pain killers and icing:( I am icing as I write this as I definitely over did it yesterday to the point I had to take a tramadol. And it wasn't because I did anything too strenuous. I did retail therapy haha and stood in line for 20 minutes after walking in the store picking outfits. Anyway I start PT again tomorrow and I am petrified and at the same time hopeful that I will strengthen the muscles and be on my way! Keep posting so I can live vicariously through your runs and hikes and promise I won't say a word to your wife:)

@newguy Oh I thought I saw you were jogging somewhere in your thread?? Anyway did you do PT at all? I know you are a couple of months ahead of me but just wondering how you got so strong? I have pins not THR though so it may be a bit different?!

The only PT I did were the 6 exercises that I was given from my surgeon. Plus the things that I know from my running. Walking was my go to. Took the cane early and used it to walk up and down hills. I have done many miles 600+ since January. Will log 200 miles the month of May. That has strengthened my leg so much. I noticed this morning that I am actually using my left leg to push off going up hills now. The new hip leg Left really feels as strong as my Right. I decided that running is not needed. Sure I might take some jogging steps when walking 10 miles to get to a 14 min mile. But nope Im done with the races the 50 to 100 mile weeks of running. I have no want to have a second hip replacement or need to have a revision. Sure there are people who say I love running and my doc says its fine. From what I have read ,no it's really not fine to pound a titanium and ceramic hip for miles and miles in ones late 60s . Walking is fine. 10 miles a day is fine, and doable if I have the time. I am averaging 6 or 7 during the week with 10+ on a Saturday or Sunday.

Took my Antibiotic and got my teeth cleaned!! Yea me . No cavities!!! HA!! Now today 5+ months PO I am going on a 3 hour walk . I might jog a few meters every 15 mins or so to stay under 15 min a mile . Don’t tell on me !! Plus my scar is fading . Kinda crazy . I seem to heal really well . Most of my surgical scars are mostly gone.

You are doing so well! Walking is the one thing I miss most. 4 years not being able to walk now on the mend. I use to walk 3-6 miles per day 6 days a week. I look forward to being able to do that once I heal.

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend, newguy. You’re doing great!
@newguy

Ok 6 mile easy jog walk yes It was so darn nice this morning. Took 2065 jogging steps broken up while walking the 6 miles. 170 steps per min when jogging from my 125/130 steps per min walking. Probably 1 mile jogged around 11 mins a mile. Don't worry I am playing smart.:))))

11.5 walked Saturday, 1 mile jog at 12 min mile during the walk, 8.5 walked Sunday 1 mile at 12 min a mile non stop during walk. I have decided on a 90% walk 10% slow jog going forward. Just enough to get my total walking time to average 14 mins a mile. All good here. Heading toward my 6 month mark in two+ weeks

Almost six months already…wow! Glad all is working out well for you, newguy, and I hope you have a great week. New hips rock! :egypdance:
@newguy

6 months today . Bingo!! Been walking upwards of 10 miles a day, throwing in 170 steps a min jogging , easy a mile every other day during the walk. No pain, nothing, zip. This was great. Life changing. Me a very happy boy.

Happy Six Month Anniversary, new guy!
Thanks for stopping by this morning with your cheery update. :)
Surprisingly time seems to fly once you start getting around. At least I thought so.
You‘re doing so well. I know you’re going to have a wonderful Summer…which officially begins today. :SUNsmile: Longest day of the year. Go enjoy it!
@newguy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom