THR I'm on the other side!!

Layla

Staff member since November 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
United States United States
:wave:Happy Four Weeks! I’ll catch you again on Friday for One Month Anniversary, lol.
Oh I have decided that I am not going to go back to work until I see my surgeon on February 2nd. I just don’t need to and don’t want to expose myself to Covid right now while healing . A few more weeks is the
Honestly, I’m happy to read this. I thinks it’s a wise decision. You’re doing so well, I’d hate to see you stall your recovery at this point. Any extra time will allow you to gain more strength and feel steadier on your feet.
Go seize the day….but in s-l-o-w mo, of course. Happy Tuesday!

Magsmom

Country
I found waiting to get back to work was helpful. I’m retired now so don’t have a fixed schedule after getting my knee and both hips done. But in late 2017 I had a spinal decompression/fusion. Not fun. I told my boss I’d be out 4-5 weeks then had to telll him I needed another 2+ weeks. Kind of a jerk about it but he said ok….reluctantly when I had my surgeon email him. Then when I started back at 8 weeks I only went in for partial days 10-3. My husband was a saint and drove me down to Wall St and picked me up…..every day. And my assistant who was my right arm and ran my life was great at getting me out of there just before 3 pm. I did that for a month and it helped….a lot.
I believe a phased approach to going back to work …..if you can do it…..is the way to go. It’s a huge help to your body to gradually get back into it. At least it was for me.

CricketHip

Staff member since June 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Good decision on staying away from work for now!

Eman85

supremo
Country
Work is overrated! One of the best things about my first THR is I never went back to work. I really can't imagine having to go to work every day in any job dealing with people all day in the new age of Covid. My job in life now is to stay healthy and in the game of life.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
I don’t have to work , it’s a sub teacher gig at a great HS . Coach a track team also . That is on hold this year . I will only volunteer with the head coach . I am at full retirement age for American SS in July . So we like to fly first class so I work those extra days a month . Good students I like being connected. But like I said I am going to hold off until this wave of Covid wanes and spring shows up :))

Hip4life

Staff member since January 2022
BoneSmart Staff
Country
You are a very wise man. All these things will be even better with a little more time, except the cabin fever. Lol.

Elf1

Staff member since October 2019
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Think you're making the right call to wait until things settle down a bit. That's fantastic that you have good students and a good school. Have some teacher friends that love their kids but not the powers that be so much.

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
Well now 1 month!!! Goal is a 3 mile walk today . Been at 2 to 2.5 miles a day last 4 days .Before the snow:))) Using the cane less and less . Hardly at all inside the house outside like every 6th step . Swelling almost all gone . Still have that pain in a couple of spots . Near incision and down by the knee. Only after walking or twisting. Never at rest .Maybe 1 , 500 mg Tylenol or 400 mg Motrin once a day for a few aches and pains but that’s it . Ice after every walk .They did have to dislocate to cut off the …. Yea as my nurse said they assaulted me!! All in all no pain in the hip !!! Incision has healed nicely. Goal now to get stronger and continue to heal . The surgery is no joke and yes I see how even with going into the surgery in excellent shape it still kicks one B hind:))). Thanks for listening. This is a good safe place . Allen

Last edited:

Mojo333

Staff member since August 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy One Month Hipaversary:happydance:
There will be some niggles and a hiccups with the ebb and flow of recovery, but yours is going very well, and I was in a state of awe (still am) when I realized they cured my hip pain and I got my life back.:tada:
It will make your retirement AND your return to volunteer coaching So Sweet.

Onward and Upward @newguy

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
:hi: Happy One Month Anniversary!
Yea as my nurse said they abused me!!

It is trauma. Granted it’s “controlled trauma” but nonetheless it deals a traumatic blow.
Thankfully with meds, rest, ice, elevation and patience, it’s tolerable.
You’re doing great. I hope you enjoy your walk today and have a wonderful weekend! :SUNsmile:

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
So I walked my 3 miles yesterday about 50 min. Not walking outside today 5 inches of snow. I actually just easily pushed the snow off the short sidewalk and driveway. Did not lift the shovel just easily pushed small amounts to the side. My indoor walking today. It is the south so it will melt by Monday afternoon. It is pretty outside has not snowed this much down here in about 4 years.

Mojo333

BoneSmart Staff
Country
A take it easy day, sounds like.
We don't get it either, so maybe you can play and ICE at the same time.:) :-) (:

:xmas-snowball-fight-smiley-emoticon:

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
Snow melted off the roads so I just got another 50 min. about 3 mile walk outside at 19F, cold but no wind. Kinda glorious:))). Most of todays 34day PO was without the help of the cane. I used the cane on the downhill and uphill parts of the walk. Feeling better a bit everyday. The walks actually bring my spirits up. Ice again after. Those same two areas, near the incision and down to the knee. They are slowly resolving. Slow and steady wins the race, but its not a race!!!

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
5 weeks right now:)) Walked 2 miles yesterday. Backed off a bit . Feels pretty good . Everyday it seems I can lift my leg a bit higher . Less knee pain and stiffness. Less pain from the incision area and again less swelling. It is amazing how much swelling there was . But everyone says oh everyone gets their hips done it’s no big deal . HA , it’s a big deal !! I see my surgeon who fixed me on the 2nd for my 6 week PO check up . I believe he will be pleased. Kool beans . And another 2 mile walk later today . Not much need for the cane but I bring it .

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
“Kool beans” :heehee: Makes me chuckle. Never hurts to bring the cane along in the early weeks. I even kept mine in the back seat of my vehicle for a couple months post op, just in case. I’m betting you’re excited for your six week appointment. I’m sure your OS will be pleased as punch with your progress. Keep up the good work! Your slow and steady approach to recovery is paying off. :)
@newguy

Mojo333

BoneSmart Staff
Country
It is a big deal!
However, at 6 weeks your recovery has gone very well.

And the payoff is So Worth It!

:happydance:

OP
OP
N

newguy

Country
Well that was a Wednesday. I have a history of lower back spasms . All my years of running and teaching PE standing all day in Gyms. So I did my 2.5 mile walk yesterday came in sat and iced then about an hour later got up and woof woof . My back said I got your attention. Took some Motrin and Tylenol did some stretching and just had to ride it out . I am spasm free this morning and my hip feels so good. A walk today at the park . 6 days until my 6 week check up . I am very happy with my progress. It is a work in progress . Still amazed at how my IT band and knee area were disrupted during the surgery. I keep forgetting they had to dislocate my hip to …. Saw the top off … the femur !!!I try not to think about that !!Happy Thursday all . To all the newer hippies, time helps hang in there !!

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
I keep forgetting they had to dislocate my hip to …. Saw the top off … the femur !!!I
Don’t know about you, but some watch the video. Never!! I couldn’t even get through the animated one once debris started flying :sick: No need to watch since it’s all behind you.You’re doing great and the future looks bright! :SUNsmile: :walking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    OneStep AMBASSADOR ..Staff member since Feb 2009..
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since August 2014
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
cveteca
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom