I'm new here

Status
Not open for further replies.

wollypog

Country
Canada Canada
Hi all...I'm new to BoneSmart. I'm scheduled for a total left hip replacement on Nov. 30. It feels like I've been waiting a long time.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you virtually!

@wollypog Welcome to BoneSmart! You have come to the right place for advice and support. Congratulations on that date for a new hip. You won't regret it - this op is a new beginning!

Welcome! Good luck with your surgery. This is a great forum for info and support. :)

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart! Only a couple of weeks to go then! Let's give you some useful reading to get your started.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

And while I'm at it, might as well leave you the recovery stuff as well
Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

:welome: - great you have a date and time to get set up and organised. You'll get lots of support on here, so keep logging in and have a good nose around the site for stories from other BoneSmarties, tips and ideas and make use of the library and search facility.

@wollypog Welcome to the BS club! We are all here to answer questions and provide support! Good luck on your upcoming surgery!

Hi wollypog :hi::welome: just as your wife and everyone has said you'll get a lot of support here. Your surgery is soon yeah. it always seems like forever while we wait. I to no that feeling I'm OK for surgery and still waiting for my date frustration but I hope this week I will no my date. I look forward to reading your post. Take care and have a blessed nite:flwrysmile:

Oh this is sooo cool! Husband and wife team. Boy @wollypog you are lucky your wife knows how to help you. A lot of us have helpers that don't understand how to help physically and emotionally. There cheers to @wollypog & @cairistiona60 :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Angelstalk1111
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom