THR I'm New and Hurting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update...I went to my second water therapy today, and she suggested I go back on the walker for the weekend because of the pain.The good leg is getting worse.

Hi Candy,

Did you see Alex and Josephine's posts earlier they were asking you a couple of questions so they can help you with the pain issue.

Hopefully you will us walker this weekend and rest up a little.

Lots of love,

Sarah

Candy, Didn't like hearing that your leg is getting worse. Have you kept a journel on your leg pain and see if you can find out what sets it off? Maybe you will find you are still needing to slow down a little more. I know thats not what you want to hear but in the posses of getting well we do have setbacks and realize its just a little bump in the road. Please keep us posted, I know its really hard to have pain but do hang in there. Remember ice, rest, pain pills as needed and a good laugh to help the mood. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:

Hi Candy,

It sounds like you are continuing to have pain that is not lessening with your PT and hydrotherapy sessions? If this is the case, maybe you want to take a break from outpatient PT and let some more healing occur for a few weeks and then return to PT. I am a firm believer in the idea that it is never too LATE to start PT...

Hips have a way of taking care of themselves, as Jo mentioned, and maybe you need to have a break and let yours settle down some.

The good hip is UNhappy because it is compensating for the pain that you are experiencing in your THR hip, -- very common for us in our recovery period.

Your hip is new and you have a lot of healing going on in your body, it is ok to take a few steps back and rest for a bit -- doesn't mean anything bad, just listening to your body and giving it time to heal and gain strength.

Take care,
Cardie

Thank you Cardie!
Yesterday I drove about 60 miles and went to a movie with Mg grandsons and my daughter in-law. I had to take a pain pill when I got seated at the theater. Still had pain and used the cane all day. It will be 7 weeks on Tuesday.

Good for you! Even though you took pain pill, doesn't it feel good to get out? Sounds like you are doing great, keep it up!

Candy, I hate to be a downer, but if you are still having routine pain that is severe you should probably hold off on long car trips like that plus 3 hours in a movie theater. Pushing like that just causes more problems.

In reading your thread this eveniing, I am unclear on a couple of points. Was it your SURGEON who told you that your operated leg was longer? If it was anyone else, then you really need to reconsider that shoe lift. What is likely the problem is that your pelvis is tilted from years of walking with a bad hip. It will gradually realign if you'll give it some time and slowly practice walking with a correct gait....with proper support from a walker, crutches or cane as long as needed.

Can you get your xray posted for Josephine to see? She can tell you a lot of good information if she can see it.

It is going to be too soon for you to go back to work, given what you are describing here. Please talk with your doctor about getting a letter to show you are not released for work.

I'm thinking you are still doing too much for where your body is in recovery at the moment. I hope you can scale back, rest, elevate your leg, ice and let your body heal.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. We're here to chat any time you need support!

Thank you for all of the helpul information and I am trying to post my x-ray again for Jo to look at. Instead of copying and pasting, I put the x-ray on as an attachment.
Yesterday I took it easy after my venture to the movie. Nothing new to report but I have decided not to wear the shoe lift until I know for sure that the leg is longer than the other. The therpists are the ones that told me it was longer and they have not even measured it! :scratch:

Attachments

• Hip.jpg
    Hip.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 193
Candy, I just drop by to find out how you are doing? Remember we had something very major done and time will at time seem so slow and sometimes so :wacko: but time goes on. I hope you depression has gotten better because there are day still I fight it. Just remember there are people who care and what makes is great is we are all from around the world and are surporting each other. Sometimes we can't spell but i do think you get the message. Hang in there and remember each day puts us closer to full recovery. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:flowerysmile:

Hi Candy,

I agree with what Jamie is saying. In one sense you sound really well and getting around with the activities in the car and then the movies, which is lots of fun and good for your recovery. Then again it does sound like you are doing an awful lot for being only 7 weeks pst surgery. Taking it easy will
only speed up your recovery. I'm surprised you are wearing the shoe inserts or maybe I read that wrong, most hippies wait a period of time before thinking about those.

Happy Monday!

xxooxx

Candy, that image is far too small for me to even see they are hip joints! The dimensions are only 88x156 pixels and the file size a miniature 2.5kb! I need it at least 800x600 and almost 1mb to see anything.

And put it in the post using this icon
insertimage.gif
not as an attachment as that always reduces the size.

Just came by to say "Hi" and how are you doing. remember baby steps and sometimes you take a couple back but its ok. not a big deal It happens to all of us. Take care and stay safe. Remember each day puts us one day closer to full recovery. :doggieshmooze:Tashia:loll:

Update...over the last week or two...things started "changing." The swelling and stiffness seemed to disappear and I could move better. lay on my side in bed, pick things up off the floor, etc. The only thing I cannot do is walk without the cane. There is still pain when I put full weight on my operated leg. The pain still feels like it is going down the femur bone. There is no discomfort in the hip at all, and the sensation that I am sitting on something is going away too. I am hopeing this pain will clear up in time. I don't know if I should still be taking pain pills occasionally or not, and I still have not gotten to the bottom of the issue of whether my operated leg is 3/8 inch longer than the other one. I did go buy a couple pairs of Alegria shoes that are supposed to be very good for posture, hips and legs. I have been getting shooting, burning pains in the other leg in the morning when I wake up, and it is painful when I do some of the water therapy, but the new hip works great. I have returned the walker, the shower seat, and the riser for the toilet. Things are looking up....just have to work on getting rid of the cane. I was led astray at first. I was loed to believe you have to get up and get moving and be as active as possible for this surgery to be a success. I wish someone had told me back then that down time to heal was equally or more important. So thankful for the advice I have gotten here on this forum!

Hi Candy,

I am 17 weeks out and still take pain meds when/if I need them. Don't be afraid to take them if you are in pain. And yes, this all takes time, rest, rest and more rest. I am just starting to get out (lunch, grocery store) and find I am quite tired when I get home. So patience, too. All the best to you.

Hi Candy,

I know JUST how you feel in regard to progress and pain control! One day you feel really good and just know that you can do much more, then you do much more, and wake up the next day feeling a wreck. It's frustrating to say the least. I have experienced a couple of these set backs, and the Bone Smart folks gave me the same counsel that they gave you--rest, recover, don't be shy about medicating, ice, etc. This is great advice, but like most great advice it can be easier said than done. To quote the poet Phillip Whalen; "Someday I guess I'll never learn." What I have learned is that there will likely be setbacks, and the body takes its own time. Also, listen to your fellow Bone Smart members! They speak from experience, the best teacher.

I had my LTHR on 1/24, so I'm kind of your hippie brother. We're walking the same path, and I'm confident that we will reach our destinations. Take care.

Hippie Brother and all...
I have seen my surgeon and he insists that one leg is not longer than the other. He was very upset that physical therapy implicated to me that it was. They never bothered to measure it or anything, just ordered a shoe riser and left it at that. The surgeon says my x-ray looks fine, but that the bone is not growing fast enough into the implant and that is still why I have pain when I put full pressure on my operated leg, I am to go back on the walker for two more weeks and return to his office. I was supposed to return to work the 22cd, but that is on hold now too. Having restless legs at night, and getting very little sleep.

Candy, you might want to take a look at this article on Restless Legs. Even though it was written for TKR patients, it still can apply to you.

Candy,

Hang in there...you can't rush this healing even if you want to (I've said this to myself a few times!). Early on I took one day at a time and even some days one minute at a time. I do best when I let myself relax and just go with it...when else might you be able to rest, elevate your legs and feet and totally relax...Sending you love and wellness.

Hi Candy,

I wasn't able to see the link that Jamie shared, but just wanted to say that when I was in the earlier phases of recovery I found it helpful to get up once during the night and walk around the house -- to the bathroom, kitchen, get some water and back to bed. This helped my leg muscles stop feeling twitchy and uncomfortable for a while.

Sorry about the walker, but it sounds like your OS has an idea about what is going on and is making a recommendation that will be helpful in your continued healing.

Take care,
Cardie

Cardie...thanks for letting me know there was a problem with the link I provided to our article in the BoneSmart Library on Restless Legs. I have fixed it now so you and others should be able to link to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom