THR Compression stockings

So it's about 2:30am and I'm not sleepy. Which is probably a good thing since atleast once an hour the aid is in getting vitals, or the nurse taking blood or giving meds. I'll try and detail what I remember of the day.

Arrived at the center at 9am. Had all my preop blood work, vitals, IV started, weighed in, another pregnancy test. Spoke with anesthesia and my surgeon. Was getting my happy juice as the nurse called it at 10:30. Wasn't aware of any thing else till about 3pm.

Woke up at 3 in horrible pain and to the nurse sliding the plate under me to get an X-ray. Was quickly medicated for that. Had a sprite in the recovery area and in a room by 4:30. Was allowed to have regular food and drink so had coffee with supper.

My surgeon came in to see me, said everything went well and that I would be walking tonight. He also said I didnt have any movement restrictions. To avoid anything extreme until I am more healed. I asked again to make sure, especially about should my toes point straight up in bed. He said not. That worries me a little. I think I need the boundaries so to speak.

I was not catharized for the surgery so figured my first trip would be to the bathroom. Wrong. I have not been out of bed yet. Nursing staff said they would rather my first time up be with PT.

My pain has been well controlled since the initial wake up. I have Tordol every 6 hours, can have morphine either IV or pill form every 4 hours, Tylenol 3 times daily. The nurse has been in and we planned my pain schedule to where I will be medicated just prior to PT.

PT will be in about 8:30am to start me walking. First group session at 9am. Have to admit that I am nervous about how painful it will be. The zero pain policy they tried to tell us about in joint class does not exist. The pain control goal is 4 out of 10. At this point I am just trying to relax until the next flurry of activity.

Hi, I hope the PT went well and wasn't too painful.

Welcome to the other side @YoungHippy ! I think you will be pleasantly surprised at that first walk. No more bone on bone pain!

I'll leave your recovery articles here for you to refer back to:
First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Hi @YoungHippy, I'm sorry that you were in pain. I'm glad the toradol worked. I was amazed at how it helped after my bilateral. I hope the PT went okay. You can take it easy and see how your body reacts. I was conservative with my PT. Sometimes people have a delayed reaction. Take care of yourself. I'm amazed at how much you were able to write about your experience.

If you don't mind me asking, where in North Carolina are you? I grew up in Charlotte and spent another 8-10 years in Asheville and the surrounding area. I have made it a bit of a show when we drive to visit my dad that I announce to my daughters in a booming voice "Ladies, welcome to the great state of North Carolina". By contrast the return to Georgia is announced in subdued tones, " You are now entering the perfectly acceptable state of Georgia". Drives the wife crazy...especially if she happens to dozing off as we enter NC.

Hoping PT went well and you are enjoying a cat nap.

Just finally had first PT session. It wasn't that bad. It was a group session and I was the only hippy in there. There were 6 exercises I had to do: ankle pumps, quadricep settings, gluteal settings, the dreaded heel slides, short and long arc quad. Had to do those and walk 2 laps around the room. Walking is when I found out that the Dr changed his mind and I am only half weight bearing. Supposed to be released tomorrow, will have 2 PT sessions and then home. My pain is well controlled too so that is a plus.

@gullimac I'm from Washington NC. It's a little small town close to Greenville and ECU.

Thanks for all the well wishes :) Think I'm going to try for a nap since I've only slept for 2 hours since surgery.

It sounds like you are doing really well. I'm glad the PT wasn't painful. I found that my pain spiked after the PT. (later in the day.) It wasn't horrible, but it made me cautious about walking very far. Hopefully you have made it home and are resting comfortably. Time heals...

@YoungHippy You are on the road :walking:to recovery. You may even be home by now 2:45 cdt and cooking supper. :beer: You won't need reminding to take it easy. Relax and Ice and ... color. Hope to read that you are taking baby steps and progressing day by day. Congratulations on your new HIP!

@gullimac I relate to using those subdued tones when entering GA. :sick: We lived in GA for 27 years. Started in Marietta, moved to Kennesaw then moved to Social Circle (out I-20) to restore an old house and be near to Athens. My oldest son still lives near Athens and has no plans to move. We moved back to TN a few years ago to help with aging parents, three have since died and one remains in a nursing home. We may leave TN and spend the rest of our retirement years in some exotic place, like Asheville. :martini: My husband spent just over 20 years in the military and we've lived in six states and I don't want to 'retire' in any of them. --julie

Was given my walking papers from the hospital this morning after I did my PT check off. Had to do my same six exercises from yesterday, walk 2 laps around the room, prove I could get into and out of the mock car set up they had, and get on and off the bed.

Found out the reason I was changed to be only partial weight bearing. Had a blood test for my vitamin D levels. Normal level is 20, mine was 4. So I now have a supplement to take once a week and will be on partial weight bearing for atleast the next 2 weeks and possibly up to a month.

Trip home was fairly uneventful once I got past the nausea for the first bit of the car ride. Was really worn out though. Made it up the steps and into the house and proceeded to take a 3 hour nap. Not a planned nap, it was more of a one minute I was sitting up reading on my tablet the next minute it was 3 hours later and I had drooled all over myself.

I start with home PT tomorrow. Still getting used to this walking thing. It kinda feels like I am walking on someone elses leg. According to my Dr I don't have any precautions other than avoid extreme poses. According to nursing and PT I do in fact have precautions and will be treated accordingly.

Congratulations @YoungHippy for making it home and having the gotta taka nap bonk. I think most of us have experienced that light switch turn off where, one minute you are alert and the next minute you have fallen over in an unconscious state of nap. That lasted about 6-8 weeks for me. I felt great, moving about and actually going somewhere and then when I felt sleepy it was like an immediate need to SLEEP. No warning, just switch off. :yawn:G'nite. The vitamin D is usually a problem for me in the winter anyway since it is the Sunshine Vitamin and we're not getting about outside in the sunshine in the winter. :SUNsmile: My GP did my blood work after my Jan 4 RTHR and said my D level was very low so I should take 5000 IUs every day. I've been doing it plus sitting outside in the sunshine when it is warm enough and if the sun is out. I remember when my children were babies placing them naked or just in a diaper, on a blanket, inside the house in front of a window so their little bodies could soak up the sunshine rays of Ds. Might be worth me doing sans the diaper instead of all the pill popping.:chillpill:

It kinda feels like I am walking on someone elses leg.

Exactly. Great Description. My leg didn't have a lot of feeling in a large area around the incision either so just touching it made it feel like someone else's leg too.
REST --julie

Long day today. Didn't sleep much last night, was unable to fall asleep until 5 this morning and was awake again at 8. First day of home PT went smoothly. Still the same exercises from the hospital. All except the heel slides are pretty easy. With the heel slides the front of my thigh hurts while doing them. But stops hurting as soon as I stop. PT says I am supposed to be doing 10 of those twice a day, but to go slow. He says if I can do 2 then go with it and try for 3 next time.

Phone nurse called to check in on me and asked about drainage. At that point I could see traces through the dressing. I have an aquacell dressing that was supposed to stay in place until my follow up in 2 weeks. She said she would check back in tomorrow and that we would most likely change that to keep the area dry. About 30 minutes after talking to her I got up and walked to the bathroom. When I sat down there was a wet noise and my thigh was soaked with a clearish fluid. Called nurse back to update her. Went ahead and changed dressing. Sent pictures of incision and ugggy dressing. She said the incision looks good, we just have to keep it dry. I am supposed to update her in the morning on how much drainage there is. My temperature is normal so she is not too worried. She will also be updating my surgeon to get his take. I had similar drainage issues with the ORIF surgeries a few days out too. Days 3 through 6 there was lots of drainage but after that all was fine. Hopefully that is the case here as well. Definitely not wanting any infection issues.

Here's hoping for some sleep tonight :)

First day of home PT went smoothly. Still the same exercises from the hospital. All except the heel slides are pretty easy. With the heel slides the front of my thigh hurts while doing them. But stops hurting as soon as I stop. PT says I am supposed to be doing 10 of those twice a day, but to go slow. He says if I can do 2 then go with it and try for 3 next time.
At 4 days out you shouldn't be doing PT! And actually hips don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

But apart from that, heel slides are totally pointless for a THR. It's a flexion exercise for knees!

Hi @YoungHippy! Sounds like you're doing pretty well, all things considered. Glad to hear you're home and not in too much pain. I'm going to write up a post-op thread here in a little bit, but wanted to check in and see how you made out.

Take it easy on yourself and get as much rest as you can!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom