TKR I'm back!!!!

Going for my 3 month post-op tomorrow. I can honestly say that, since about 10 days ago, I actually am feeling encouraged about this healing process. Up until then, I was in constant, throbbing burning pain and pretty frustrated. Even though I had a TKR in 2018, it seemed like this recuperating was more intense. I chose not to do out-patient PT and am very satisfied with my decision. Just doing ADL and a few heel slides daily. Not sure what my ROM is, and don't really care, but I can bend equally to my other knee and am satisfied with that. It was at 98 at 6 week check with my in-house PT. Never ran a marathon and don't need to do one now!

I believe that two of the "helpful" tips from this forum have contributed to my current relief. ....the TENS unit and plastic wrap.. :dancy: Been using the TENS unit 3 times a day and I really think it helped turn things around. May be just a coincidence but, anyway, I am certainly experiencing a change. And the plastic wrap alleviated the problem of the skin sensitivity with the bed covers at night...:spin:. Sleeping less painfully for sure, although a little noisier when walking to the bathroom during the night..:giggle:!!!!

So, while I know this is a year long plus healing process, I am finally feeling some much needed encouragement on this journey. I hope to continue in this direction because, as you know in this recovery, it can be two steps forward ...one step back!!!!:hairpulling: But for now.....:ok:.

What a great post, so encouraging! And I am happy that you are doing better. I am seeing the OS today for a follow up as well and crossing my fingers that things look good. Like you, I’ve had no PT so not sure if this knee is doing what it is supposed to do, but it’s getting me around the house, doing chores and errands, driving me where I want to go and everything else so I guess that’s a good sign :) good luck with your appointment!

Hah! I came to see how you were getting along. This is great news! Congratulations :loveshwr:

Was thinking yesterday how glad I am to have the surgery over and done with. While I am still in the healing process, it feels good know it's done. Since having my RTKR done in 2017, I knew the left one needed surgery also and I always wrestled as to when I would get it done. I didn't want it to interfere with travelling, or family time, or actually, any inconvenience at all!!:heehee:. So, I then realized, I actually have COVID, of all things, to thank for my surgery!!:flabber:. If it hadn't been for the fact that we were all prohibited from going anywhere or doing anything, I probably would still be pondering when to have the surgery done!! So, I'm glad it's done, thank you COVID, now "GET THE :censored: OUTTA HERE!!!!!:hairpulling:

As Rosanna Rossanadana used to say(for us oldie SNL fans ) "It's always something!!!" I'm 4 months post-op. Doing okay for being 1/3 of the way. However, all of a sudden the top of my scar, over the knee area, is so itchy. Never experienced that before. The scar looks good, not lumpy, just itchy. Still using the plastic wrap because of the sensitivity but not on that area.

Hi Dizzy!

I’m glad to read that your doing better. I use Bio-oil for my scar and it really helps. Got it on Amazon.Where did you get your Tens unit and are their different sizes?

Hi Dizzy!

I’m glad to read that your doing better. I use Bio-oil for my scar and it really helps. Got it on Amazon.Where did you get your Tens unit and are their different sizes?
Got my TENS unit on Amazon. Not sure about different sizes. Paid around $38 for it. Really worked well.

I am now 5 months post-op. Still less than halfway through this recovery time frame. I am still experiencing a lot of burning pain when standing from a sitting position and walking. Once I'm sitting and elevating, things quiet down. And it's both my knees now (TKR on right knee 7/2017). I'm icing and taking Tylenol but doesn't seem to be helping. Any thoughts???

Well - you are less than half way through recovery. I am afraid it's going to take some patience. What other activities are you doing now? Any PT?

Well - you are less than half way through recovery. I am afraid it's going to take some patience. What other activities are you doing now? Any PT?
No...never did any formal PT...just ADL. Yes, trying to have patience. Luckily, I'm retired so I don't have to push myself. Just very frustrating and aggravating. Thanks for your response.

Well, I'm coming up on 1 year post-op on my LTKR and 2 years post-op on the revision on my RTKR. I am still experiencing burning sensation around both knee areas after standing and sitting. I am disappointed, to say the least, that this has not improved over this length of time. It does feel like a nerve problem but I would expect some improvement by now. The replacement itself seems to be okay. I am seeing my OS in June for my 1 year check on the LTKR. Any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on? I am very frustrated to say the least!!!

Have you ever had a metal allergy test? Not saying that's what it is. But the test would rule an allergic reaction out.

For anyone who would like to get a full metal allergy test prior to any joint replacement surgery, you can get the test done in the USA by ordering the test kit from https://www.orthopedicanalysis.com/testing/order-testing-panel . You want the Orthopedic Panel Test 2. Once you get the test kit, your GP (or any lab) can do the blood draw and send it in for testing. You will have to have a doctor's order for the lab to run it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom