BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

I'm back!!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by 58principal, May 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 58principal

58principal new member

I had my right tkr on December 11, 2012 and it went fantastic. I am pain free and able to use that knee freely. My left knee is really arthritic but hasn't been hurting very bad until February. I went to my os who gave me a cortisone injection and it felt really good up until a week ago. Now I'm in severe pain and limping when I walk. I'm unable to stand from a sitting position without it hurting and my sleep is disrupted due to pain. I have an appointment with my os next week and am wondering if I should get another cortisone injection or schedule a tkr. I'm an elementary principal and on my feet a great deal. With summer coming it probably would be a good time to get a tkr because i wouldnt miss work, but I'm unsure. What do you think I should do?

2. Florida 1

Florida 1 senior

United States United States
    If your OS says it's necessary, I wouldn't put it off an longer than necessary. And yes, this seems like the perfect time of year if he can schedule you soon. Just be aware that each TKR recovery is different and this one could be a lot quicker and easier, or more difficult and longer than the first. It may impact when you would be able to return to work. But the main thing is the longer you put it off, the better chance that more damage will be done and the longer it takes to recover. Good luck with whatever you decide!

3. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Unfortunately only you can make this decision. However....you know what is coming. Your knee will not get any better...only worse. If the timing is good for you now, you really might want to consider going ahead with the second TKR now rather than trying to wait.

4. Titianlady

Titianlady Sr Bonesmartie

I agree my dear. It will only get worse. I certainly know the feeling though. I waited almost too long to have my right knee replaced last July. I'm going in June 14 to have my left knee replaced. I just don't want to go through the pain, and all the injections again just to put off the inevitable.

5. kymamaw

kymamaw junior member

When you were still using your old knees did you feel pain and pressure in your ankles and lower legs at all? and if so did your surgery relieve those discomforts.
    Thanks, and I hope you do really well with your new knees.
    Deb :flwrysmile:

6. Titianlady

Titianlady Sr Bonesmartie

kymamaw. Oh, I sure did!! I had terrible pain storms involving my lower leg and ankle and foot. But my new knee and alignment have made that a thing of the past.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kymamaw

kymamaw junior member

I have it really bad in both legs and it is worse when trying to shop, stand in one place, etc. Gosh, I need to get my mind in gear and get it done. ;>D

8. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Excellent point about the knees affecting the ankles and feet too. My right ankle and foot are better since the TKR.

9. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

One of the reasons I got my second TKR when I did (March 8th, 2013) was because I had developed terrible plantar fasciitis in my opposite foot. Nothing seemed to help it. Although my surgeon said he could not say for sure the TKR would help, it did. I still have to do a lot of stretching, but the pain has lessened since I am now in proper alignment. It's a work in progress as I'm really still in recovery. I'm needing to get some new shoes too because of wear patterns on my old ones.

10. tashia

tashia Sr Bonesmartie

:goodpost: I also had lots of feet problems and getting two new knees and a new hip corrected my feet. It was the best things I have ever done to improve my physical and mental health. Good luck. Tashia

• Like Like x 2
  11. 58principal

58principal new member

Well, I went to my os and he and I agreed, my left knee needs a tkr so it is scheduled for June 25th. I hope it's as successful as my right tkr has been! I'll keep you posted!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.