TKR I'm Back, with another new knee.

@birdinger that is the place I went for my left knee and I had the red headed guy for my therapist. Did not like him because after 4 to 5 weeks, he said he was done with me and I needed a manipulation. I told him no and went someplace else. My brother had him too when he had both knees done the same day. At first he had really good ROM but then swelling took over. So he had him get the manipulation. My brother's insurance wouldn't cover PT at the place I went to. My brother still doesn't walk well and it is over a year.

I have the PTA, Lance, that worked with Teresa in the groups at the hospital. I really like him and he is not talking about manipulation at all. He is very encouraging and does not "push"...just gently. I see my OS, Dr. Lamson, tomorrow for my six week visit.

Just got back from PT and I asked my therapist if he ever heard of Bonesmart. I explained to him what it is all about. He agreed with the concept about not pushing to pain. He is constantly asking me if it hurts, or if it is ok when he is working on me. I told him I am swimming now and he told me different things to do in the pool. I thought it was all about bending the knee while in the pool and he said no, work on strengthening the muscles. I told him I went back to icing more now too. He was working on my husband's neck (we go at the same time) while I was doing some warm up exercises. He was watching me go up and down the steps and I could do it without hanging on the railing. I think the rise on his steps is less then I have at home. He said he was anxious to see what my bend was today. But he told me he wasn't going to push me this time. So last week I was at 107 and even though I am feeling better, my bend was only 100. You know what, I DON"T CARE, it is a number, and my actions are showing me that I am improving. He said he could have pushed it to get a better number, but decided not to do it. I only have one more session with him next week and I run out of therapy. Really like him, but think that I can do this on my own now especially with going to the pool.

Debbie,
You will do just fine going to the pool and letting your ROM improve as you heal. You are right, it is what you can do, not your ROM that is important.
Sorry to read about your brother's less than stellar recovery.

Woke up this morning and was a little stiffer feeling. Figured it was from the pt yesterday. Had to go and vote then I had an eye appointment. So took care of those things and thought I should come home and ice, but instead I went to the pool. Now that felt good. What was nice is that I ran into an old friend that I hadn't seen in more then 30 years. She is 86 years old and uses the pool for exercise. So we talked and exercised and the time went so fast. Oh, and now I am elevating and icing.

Busy day for me today. First went to my last PT. I thought I was at 12 weeks, but only at 11. Anyway, the therapist went over some different stretches that I can continue to do. He measured one more time without pushing it was 102. But he also measured the knee for swelling and it had really gone down. So he was impressed with that. So now I am finished there.

Then went swimming for an hour. Always feels good. Came home and showered the chlorine smell off and went to see my OS. He wanted to know how it was going. I told him I was feeling good but the bend is a little slow. He asked how far I can bend and I told him 102 without help. He said that is fine and I will get more. He was more concerned with my foot and he knew that having that tendon or muscle pull away from the bone made my recovery a little slower. That has really improved from everything my therapist did and now the swimming is helping. So my surgeon released me. I am done. No more worrying about being measured. Now I can just enjoy the swimming and hope that my bend will slowly get better.

It sounds as if your surgeon was pleased with your progress, Debbie. That's great! :yes!: :happydance: :yay:
He's correct - your ROM can continue to improve for a long time yet, just through the ordinary activities of daily life.

Hi Debbie,
Hope that you are doing well and looking forward to the Holidays.
I saw on your thread that you had some ankle issues after your TKR. I am now experiencing ankle pain and tenderness (just above and behind ankle bone) on the outside of my ankle on TKR leg. I had done leg press and another machine in PT the day before this started and then walked a mile the next day. By evening I was really hurting. I cancelled PT and called OS. Per their instructions, I have been icing, resting and my husband wrapped it with an ace bandage. It's been a week and it is still tender to the touch and with certain movements. How was your ankle diagnosed? Does this sound like anything you experienced? Thanks much!
Ruth

Hi Ruth, my ankle problem involves the tibial tendon which runs on the inside from under the foot (I think) around the back side of the ankle then up the inside of the leg. My therapist knew just how to rub it and going crossways over it. Ice will help of course. I am not having any problems with it now. Hope you get some relief soon. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks, Debbie. Mine sounds a little different but may also be tendon. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom