Hip Infection* I'm back home

Just a quick hello and hoping you are getting some pain control. I hope your evening is peaceful and you are able to get some sleep or naps.

Today I'm feel a little more human. The hip is still sore, but improving each day. I pulled two muscles in my back and that pain is worse than surgery pain. Yesterday I spiked a 101 temperature. With the pain in my back I worried about pneumonia. Home health care came right over. Said my lungs sounded fine. If temperature stayed up then they would want chest xrays. Thankfully fever broke.

Oh you poor thing, back pain also. I was glad to read your fever broke. Try to stay hydrated especially in this heat. When my back hurts I like a heating pad on it. So you could heat the back and ice the hip and get some rest. Have you had back issues before or is this new for you. I have a TENS unit that I have used when my back acts up or muscles get tight. If you have ever used one, might be useful now.

Sending positive healing vibes your way. I hope you have a restful day. :flwrysmile:

Aww, Linda. I’m so sorry.
Dealing with your current situation is enough. You poor dear!
Thankfully the fever broke and your hip is feeling better. A couple of positives at least.
Sending wishes for a peaceful week. Thank you for updating.
@Linda1

Hello Linda,
It‘s been about a week since we’ve heard from you and I’m wondering how you’re doing?With any luck your fever is gone and your back is feeling better. :fingersx:
Let us know how you’re doing as time allows.
Hugs :friends:
@Linda1

This week I had the staples removed. Incision looks fine. I have very little pain, just feel some stiffness. I have 4 more weeks of the IV antibiotics. I'm doing my best not to get depressed. Having the second surgery so soon after the first took a toll on my body. I feel very weak. I know it will improve with time. I just have to be patient!

With recovery we all have to practice patience but you more than most. I hope you get to feeling stronger soon. Do you think a nutritional supplement like Ensure might help. Sometimes when recovering and especially for you with two surgeries food is not enough of a priority or it just does not taste the same.

It must have felt good to have the staples removed and know the incision is fine. I hope you have a peaceful day.

Aww Linda, I’m sorry you have to take this detour. It’s understandable you’re tired.
I hope the next four weeks go by quickly for you.

I like leejaa’s idea above about the Ensure. Possibly you should give it a try. I’m not sure how your appetite is these days, but not consuming enough protein throughout the day can contribute to fatigue. Protein also provides the body with fuel and it helps repair damaged body tissues. Since protein breaks down slower than carbs, it’s a longer lasting energy source. Following are a few ideas which could be consumed as snacks if you’re not feeling that hungry. Maybe a couple will appeal to you. I hope you’re staying adequately hydrated also.

Nuts
Trail Mix
Turkey roll ups (cheese or veggies rolled inside the turkey)
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Hard Boiled Eggs
Tuna
Veggies & Hummus
Peanut Butter and Apple
Peanut Butter on Celery
Cheese Slices
Beef Sticks
Protein Bars
Protein Shakes
Canned Salmon on Crackers
Edamame
Chicken Salad
No Bake Energy Bites (many online recipes)

Stay in touch, we’re here to support you.
@Linda1

Hello and Happy Wednesday, Linda!
Noticed it’s one month today since your last procedure. I hope today finds you feeling stronger and more optimistic. It looks like you’re down to only two more weeks of the IV antibiotics. There’s light at the end of the tunnel. You can do this....you are doing this. Please let us know how you’re doing as time allows. We’re here for you all the way!
Hugs :friends:
@Linda1

Well it's been 1 month since revision for infection. I'll be on the antibiotic infusion till Sept 1. Most days I have little to no pain. I still need to use a cane. Home health nurse mentioned I'm the only one she worked with that still needed a cane at 1 month. Surely that can't be the norm?
Question. A few days ago my incision felt hot. I used one of those body thermometers. It said skin was 102 °. Other areas of body normal. I took tylenol and temp over incision came down and didn't come back. Could over use flare it up and cause the heat? I asked home health nurse and she didn't have answer.

Home health nurse mentioned I'm the only one she worked with that still needed a cane at 1 month

How ridiculous and inconsiderate of the home health nurse to say this. I read of members here almost daily who’ve used a cane beyond one month post op. Please dismiss that thoughtless comment. In addition, if she couldn’t answer your question, it would have been nice for her to tell you’d she’d do a little research and get back to you.

Linda, I think for your peace of mind, you should phone your surgeons office and allow a member of your OS’s care team advise. After a few questions they will most likely offer you the reassurance you’re looking for, or request you come in for further evaluation.
Please stay in touch.

@Linda1

I had a fairly smooth recovery but used a cane at one month and beyond for some weeks. After that I would take the cane with me shopping. I always feel it is better to be safe. We are all different and there is no timetable when to give up assistive devices.

I had a little excitement last night. I was walking my dog and when I got to the deck I fell. I landed on both knees and then my head hit. I was able to get up and nothing but my knees hurt. I'm more concerned I'm gong to be listed as a fall risk since this is the second time I've fallen since June. I have a video of the fall. I bounce pretty good!
https://video.nest.com/clip/9a7be4fea99f4df288d92bb4529216bb.mp4

:yikes: Oh my word! I’m so sorry, Linda.
Not many can watch the replay of their fall. Thankfully you’re okay aside from sore knees. It looks as though you were holding a leash and unable to navigate the steps as quickly as your dog? Is that what happened?
I hope your head is okay and your knees recover quickly. Stay safe and get some rest today.
@Linda1

Hi Linda I hope you are doing well. I too had in infection, then concrete spacer, IV antibiotics for 6 weeks and then surgery to put joint in. They had actually toook everything out and then new stuff in. I was on a walker or like 8 weeks so I am happy that you are on a cane. It’s easy to get stressed and depressed. What helped me was prayer, and having this supportive community. Things may look bleak but you will get through this and come out better than before.

Hi Lynda,
I hope your knees are feeling better today after your fall. With any luck and some icing, you’re doing better this Friday morning.
A peaceful weekend to you. No more falling allowed. :wink:
@Linda1

I was to have pics line removed today but infectious disease doctor wants me on antibiotics another week. White blood count is normal so not sure what caused his decision. Oh well, we are getting uze to getting up at 4 for my infusion.

I'm really sorry @Linda1
I know you were ready to be done with it...
Please keep the faith...
Hugs xxxc

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom