Hip Infection* I'm back home

It is good that they are being careful and thorough to make sure you get the correct answer but I can understand how frustrating it is to wait for an answer. I hope you hear soon so you know how to proceed. I hope you have a restful night.

Well the culture grew bacteria so I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow morning to have it washed out. I can't say I'm happy.
Is this surgery a little easier to recover from?

Aww, I’m so sorry, Linda. Well, let’s try to look at the bright side...as difficult as that is. You’re heading in the right direction and one day closer to pain-free. Your surgeon should be able to advise you on recovery from a washout vs a THR. Please talk to him about it tomorrow. Prayers for a successful procedure and speedy recovery. Will look forward to hearing from you once you’re up to posting. :prayer: Take good care.
@Linda1

@Linda1,
You are in my prayers for a good outcome with your procedure. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this infection and ongoing pain. From your posts about what you have gone through for the past ten months, you sound like a very strong person whose strength will continue to serve you well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the wash out and some parts removed yesterday. They put in a picc line for antibiotics. Should go home tomorrow. I'm having muscle spasms and they just ordered something for it. My pain jumped to a 10 which surprised me.

@Linda1. Just a quick hello to see how you are and if the new medication kicked in and helped with the spasm. I had some ugly muscle spasms with my first knee replacement but the muscle relaxer really did the trick for me and the surgeon kept me on them through recovery for which I was very grateful. Luckily they did not recur with future surgeries. I hope you have a restful night.

So so sorry @Linda1 to hear about your difficulties and hope you have relief soon. I apologize if you mentioned this in another thread, but does your OS know the source/cause of the infection?

@Linda1 I just caught up with your thread and am so sorry you had to have more surgery for an infection. I hope things are beginning to calm down for you, and hopefully you are back home now.
The PICC lines are a nuisance but also a very handy way to get things done.

Sending you loads of good, healing energy and prayers.. This too, shall pass.

Hi @Linda1 - I'm sorry to hear you have a hip infection. I hope the washout and IV antibiotics clear it up as quickly as possible.

Do you know which parts of your hip replacement they removed/exchanged? That might give us some idea how quickly you will recover.

So so sorry @Linda1 to hear about your difficulties and hope you have relief soon. I apologize if you mentioned this in another thread, but does your OS know the source/cause of the infection?
I was told it most likely from the bacteria from the colitis. ???

Hi @Linda1 - I'm sorry to hear you have a hip infection. I hope the washout and IV antibiotics clear it up as quickly as possible.

Do you know which parts of your hip replacement they removed/exchanged? That might give us some idea how quickly you will recover.
I don't know. Surgeon said any part easily swapped out would be replaced

I didn't get home until later afternoon Wednesday. The 2 hour trip was extremely difficult. It's now Friday and my pain hasn't let up yet. Surgeon reminded me this is 3rd surgery in short time and then infection on top. Said it will take time.

@Linda1 , you stated your pain has not let up. Do you have pain medication and if so I hope you are taking them. You might also want to touch base with your surgeon to see if they can advise different medication or additional medication. You have had such a hard time there is no reason to be in major pain also. I hope you find relief soon.

Feeling any better today, Linda?
I hope your meds kicked in, or you were able to talk to someone from your surgeons care team to try an alternative.
Wishing you comfort. :console2:
@Linda1

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020